Upstate NY Babies

Why we need to get a landline

I am SO terrible with my cell phone. 50% of the time it is lost, volume is off, it's dying, etc.

DH's trial started today (jury selection and openings were yesterday) and he got a flat tire on the way in!!

I only noticed his 5 texts about a half hour ago when I first looked at my phone. He just texted me saying they were on lunch - so he must have gotten there somehow. I doubt he put the spare on while on the 190 in a suit...but what else could he have done? We don't have AAA.

He's not giving me any more info - you're not even allowed to have phones on in court.

OMG - I feel terrible for him. He has been working SOOOOOOOOO hard on this and I can't imagine that stress. He was supposed to pick up his client - who has PTS so bad that she can barely drive. So I'm sure he couldn't do that...

Re: Why we need to get a landline

• omg, that is terrible! I always try to make sure my phone is on ring when DH leaves... it's usually on vibrate from overnight. One day he ran out of gas (his own stupid fault!) and he tried to call me, but my phone was on vibrate and I didn't hear it. Luckily it was right off the exit, and everyone was driving into work... One of his coworkers saw him and drove him to get some gas. 

Let us know how he got to work, and if his car is still sitting on the side of the road!

• Poor DH.  I can't imagine a flat tire on the 190...that would be scary!  Hopefully he was able to get there in time.

We ditched our Vonage phone and went back to a landline last year.  We were having problems getting a line to Syracuse (my family and my office).  I am horrible with my cell phone too...it's always dead.  I sleep much better knowing that we've got the landline.

Bianca image.
  • Loading the player...
  • it might be cheaper to add another cell to your existing plan, get one of the free no frills phones, always have it on and plugged into the charger in a centrally located room in the house so you could hear it. call it your 'home phone' and only give out the # to family and friends to use in an emergency or when you don't answer your personal cell. it also can be used in case of an emergency if you have a babysitter and they don't have or don't want to use their own cell phone

DH has two cell phones, his personal one on our plan and his work one, and he never carries both so one of them is always at our house. i'm sometimes the same way you are with mine so he'll call the one cell of his that he doesn't have with him when he needs to get ahold of me and can't b/c i can't hear/find mine. works every time!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yikes!  Sorry about your DH... glad he got there!

I have to say the one thing that I loved about this post is how folks from Buffalo call it "the" 190.  I used to do that too when I lived there and people from other places would laugh at me.  It's the only place I know of where you add a "the" infront of the route #.  I don't know why, but it just makes me laugh and miss living in Buffalo and I had to share.  :)

Sorry again about your DH!  I hope things went well once he got there!

• Haha - that's true....we say "the 33" and "the 400" etc too.

But growing up in CNY - it was just 481 or 690...never thought of that before. When we visit my parents I tell them we're taking 481 or 690. So I change what I call roads depending on where I am. How weird!

• imagejess!ca:

Yikes!  Sorry about your DH... glad he got there!

I have to say the one thing that I loved about this post is how folks from Buffalo call it "the" 190.  I used to do that too when I lived there and people from other places would laugh at me.  It's the only place I know of where you add a "the" infront of the route #.  I don't know why, but it just makes me laugh and miss living in Buffalo and I had to share.  :)

In California there was a big fight in my dorm over "the 5" or "5" it was a norcal vs. socal thing. :-p

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Haha - that reminds of all the disagreements at UB between downstate students (specifically Long Island) and everyone else about how everything is better down there. Oy!
  • imageTelyco:

Haha - that's true....we say "the 33" and "the 400" etc too.

But growing up in CNY - it was just 481 or 690...never thought of that before. When we visit my parents I tell them we're taking 481 or 690. So I change what I call roads depending on where I am. How weird!

It's the same for me too.  I was in Syracuse this we talked about 481 and 81.  We've been in Buffalo for 4.5 years and I say the 290.  DH used to laugh at me...but he says it now too.  LOL  I still don't say pop though. 
    Bianca image.
  • imageMrs_Hark:

it might be cheaper to add another cell to your existing plan, get one of the free no frills phones, always have it on and plugged into the charger in a centrally located room in the house so you could hear it. call it your 'home phone' and only give out the # to family and friends to use in an emergency or when you don't answer your personal cell. it also can be used in case of an emergency if you have a babysitter and they don't have or don't want to use their own cell phone

This is a great idea! 

• imagejess!ca:

Yikes!  Sorry about your DH... glad he got there!

I was just going to say the same thing about "the 190."  Sounds so funny to me. Whenever my dh and I go to Buffalo he automatically starts saying that.  He thinks because he went to school in Buffalo he can do that ;o)

Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"