Blended Families

Do any of you have a camper van, tent or caravan?

DH has been working with his uncle lately.  Anyhow over the weekend he came home allexcited about buying a caravan for future holidays.  His uncle does this with his family and theylove it.  Apparently they were headingoff this weekend to the West Coast and DH is totally sold on the idea.  At first I thought it was an ok idea as I wasmistakenly thinking about a mobile home ? the one with bedrooms.    Anyhow we looked at caravan?s online and Iwas like ... um where do we sleep???  Thesofa folds out into a bed.

Here is the thing ? I get that it would be fun hanging outon caravan sites and bbqing etc. However, there is SS and the fact that we are TTC to take into account.  I am having nightmare visions of us, a newbornand a stroppy 10 year old boy in one room for holidays.  I am having issues around privacy, obviouslywe don?t need to be going at it like monkeys or anything BUT sleeping  in the same room as my SS is not appealing tome.  He is at that age where he does notwant to change in front of me etc.  Also whatif I?m breastfeeding or something. 

I?m not loving the idea of having to set up beds every nightand take it apart every morning.  I?m notsold on the lack of space and privacy and am not sold on the idea that everylong weekend we have to load up and head off.

Am I being a stick in the mud, is there a compromise in thisthat I am not seeing?  DH is very excitedand I hate to shoot him down, especially as I would always have said that Iwish he would take on planning holidays or be spontaneous instead of leavingthings to me.  He really is super excitedabout it.  However, we will have toinvest a lot of money to get started.

Do any of you have a camper van, tent or caravan?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do any of you have a camper van, tent or caravan?

• First, I grew up in Tents and then Pop-Ups.  I have two younger siblings.  So it worked out. However, by the time we got my youngest sibling, we moved up to a Camper.

Which brings me to my third point.  There are a VARIETY of styles of campers out there (even here in eruope).  YES, you will have to get a larger one for the separate room, but I am sure you can find one.

And finally, its not as if you are going to be LIVING in the camper.  You are going on vacations.  You can hold off having sex for 2 - 7 nights right?  Same goes for opening and closing the beds.  It only takes 2 minutes at the most. 

But you HAVE to be 100% in or you will grow to hate it. 

I however, LOVE LOVE LOVE camping.  And we are going to be getting a small one when we get back to the States and will upgrade to a motor home when we retire.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • We can currently only afford a small one - 4 berth or something like that.  

So that's kinda my point, am I going to hate it if by next summer we actually do have a new born and a pre teen boy?

I used to camp every summer in New Hampshire and 3 nights were my limit.  That was with no kids (although you technically could count my ex as a kid).

Another point to note is that even in Summer it will rain in Ireland so we could end up spending time inside it. 

I just don't know what to do, say no and crush DH or say yes and end up hating it. 

Yes we can forgo thesex but I still like my privacy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You are either the kind of person that loves it or you aren't. Kinda seems like you are not, which is fine, but you will probably want to avoid these adventurous vacations. I love it, for example. My bro has a nice RV that sleeps seven people, but RV is not a house with a bunch of private bedrooms. We usually take it across Europe and it's a ton of fun, not just for the children. But you deal with things like conserving water in the shower, the chemical toilet, whichnis tiny, a broken air conditioner in the middle of the night when it's hot and sticky in the middle of July in Italy, or somebody (usually one of the kids) forgetting to close the screen door and Mosquitos biting your butt the whole night. But, the adventure is awesome, the campfires with a bunch of new and old friends is awesome, the places you get to visit, which you wouldn't be able to out of a hotel, are awesome. I love these vacations, but I'm not saying you will.
  • I grew up camping-we had one of those campers that sat on the back and roof of a truck bed-and it was fun-with the exception of Chincoteague (sp-sorry) and the horse flies. 

We go camp now-both with/without the skids-and there's no privacy, but we all seem fine with it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"