Babies: 0 - 3 Months

FU to Reflux & milk protein allergy (alimentum formula)

On Friday, DS was diagnosed with acid reflux; he was refluxing silently. (You could hear/see him bring it up but he would swallow it rather than spit it up.) He fussed the most right after each feeding.

He was given Zantac which "helped" but he still had a little trouble with it. We were told to add rice cereal to his bottles if we felt he needed it. Anywhere from 1-2tbsp per ounce of formula. We didn't want to but on Saturday night we tried it. I only added 1 tbsp to the entire 4oz bottle. He slept AMAZING. No more reflux pain!!

After we noticed that his reflux was under control we quickly learned that he still had a lot of pain when trying to poop AND/OR pass gas. He also had a LOT of gas all day long. (We tried Mylacon & gripe water- neither one helped much. The gripe water did at first but after a few times of using it was ineffective.)

When we were at the pedi on Friday he also mentioned treating DS for a milk protein allergy. We decided to go ahead and switch DS to Similac Alimentum (which the Dr. suggested) and see what happened.

Let me say, this formula is amaaaaazing! It's also very expensive ($25/can.) DS is less gassy, passes gas with ease when he does have it, and even poops without turning so red and tense he looks like he is going to explode. I'm sooo happy. He is sleeping great. The ONLY time he fusses is when he is ready to eat, is wet or has a burp stuck in there. We are quickly learning to identify the cries that pertain to each of his needs- which helps with my stress level!

So, to all those mama's who are trying to decode what's wrong with their LO's I just want to say DON'T GIVE UP!! Be persistent and trust your instincts. I had a lot of people tell me "oh it's just colic, he'll grow out of it" and I wasn't willing to just accept that it. If I had he would be struggling with both acid reflux AND a milk protein allergy on his own.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FU to Reflux & milk protein allergy (alimentum formula)

• Thanks!  I think L.O. may have a milk protein allergy.  My dr's visit is Friday.  I believe you can use Similiac Alimentum as a tax deduction.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had the exact same situation. I was EBFing and our baby was miserable. I'm talking mis.er.a.ble. Definitely had the silent flux and was somewhat better on axid (like Zantac) but I was still spending most of my days soothing him and it was all gas and digestive related... Stomach gurgling, so much gas, wet painful burps, mucous poop... After trying to eliminate everythin from my diet we did a "trial" run on the Alimentum in which I pumped and stored to keep my supply. Within a couple days he was like a new baby. We then tried to reintroduce the BM through a bottle and BAM crazy screaming baby again. I made the decision to switch to Alimentum for good. It was super hard for me and emotional to let go of BFing but I couldn't stand to see him so unhappy. He is still fussy at times (mainly from 5-8) that is just his personality... But he is able to be soothed and is not in pain like he was. Sorry for the lump paragraph. IPad and 1ht!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • OP are you still thickening with the rice cereal? Also are you using the powder Alimentum? My doctor told me to use the ready to feed because it was easier to digest.... But it's pretty inconvenient...
  • I am new to Bump as of yesterday and have lots of questions about spit up.  My LO spits up at any time the same amount, whether it's right after BF, even expressed, or 3 hrs later before her next feeding... and it's not a little dab dribbling down her chin (but not projectile).  I can always predict when she's going to do it:  everytime I lay her down for diaper change or when she's squirming in her crib (again laying down).  She still does it sitting up too. 

I've tried burping her few times during her feed, walking with her/keeping her upright 30 min after eating, I have 4 different brands of bottles, and just started eliminating Dairy out of my diet 3 days ago.  So far, no change.  I did introduce milk-based enfamil last week, and she was worse, discontinued that.

She's gaining weight, but I can't stop worrying.

Is this a typical symptom of reflux?

Baby Birthday Tichttp://www.thebump.com/profiles/junebug555/settings/avatar/Index#ker Ticker
  • Spitting up is normal in babies. It's only cause for concern if it seems to cause them pain or if it's projectile and large amounts. For us the signs were extreme fussiness and arching the back and screaming during feedings... And then wet burps, frequent wet hiccups and cough... And overall fussiness
  • LO doesn't have constant fussiness while feeding all the time, but I dont' know what you consider large amounts.  For example, when she wakes up for BF (after 1 hr sleep), I change her diaper and she spits up enough to wet the top half of her shirt.  To me alot is only relative I guess.  But of course, she'll continue spitting up after her feeding where I've learned to buy those bibs with extra padding around the neck so that she won't wet her clothes again.   Then she'll squirm alittle when I lay her to sleep where she'll do it again, then I carefully take off her bib after she falls asleep. So spit up that's wetting the top half of her shirt 2-3 different times from 1 feeding to the next (every 2-3 hrs) ok?  That's just normal spit up?  I just want to be reassured that that's not too much.

Baby Birthday Tichttp://www.thebump.com/profiles/junebug555/settings/avatar/Index#ker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"