Hawaii Babies
Options

Eye doctor & dentist?

Hey...have you all taken your babies to the eye doctor or dentist?  I had planned to do it when Kaya turned 1 but haven't yet.  So I'm trying to make appointments now and just wondering what everyone's experiences were.  TIA!

ETA: My friend took her son to the eye doctor at 6 and 9 months (because she and her husband wore glasses from a young age) and they already noticed a difference in that period.  So he's already wearing glasses!  He turns 1 in June. 

Re: Eye doctor & dentist?

• Options

Our pedi recommended we start taking him to the dentist now that he's one. He hasn't mentioned anything about the eye doctor yet, but I remember someone posting about free vision screenings for babies by some optometrists and I've been meaning to do that.

My twin nieces were born very premature and their eye muscles were underdeveloped, so they were seeing the eye doctor from a young age. They ended up wearing really cute coke bottle glasses for a long time.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We haven't taken them to either yet, but our next dental checkup is in May so we'll probably just take them with us then.

I was planning on asking their doctor about when we should do a vision test when we go to their 12 month appt - I think that in Australia they're usually done from about 2 or 3 years old unless the parent/doctor suspects issues, but I could be wrong. Smile

ETA: oh, and although most family members on both my side and Ben's wear glasses, it's not until later in life (I started at 25, Ben still hasn't yet but likely will need them in a few years). But if we had a family history of early vision problems, I'd probably aim for an earlier checkup like your friends did.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

no but my brother is a dentist (in CA) so he gave me some fluoride varnish the last time we were there and we applied it to her teeth ourselves! you're supposed to get the fluoride applied as soon as they have teeth.  we plan to have it done again when we go to CA in june.

we haven't taken her to the eye doctor and i'm not sure when we'll do that.  MH wears glasses but i have nearly perfect vision.  i can't believe that child is already in glasses before the age of 1!

• Options

imagemrspresley:

i can't believe that child is already in glasses before the age of 1!

I know!  My friend was kinda bummed.  

B wore glasses from like 2nd grade but I didn't start until high school and my vision really wasn't that bad.  I hope she gets my genes!

• Options

We took Ashton to the dentist when he turned one....sort of a waste...they just count the teeth and watch me brush Ashton's teeth...I guess it's just to get the kid used to going and have someone in their mouth. We go again soon (every 6 months).

I've never taken Ashton to the eye Dr....didn't really think about it until this post. 

• Options

we asked our dentist (and various hygenists) a few times, and it seems they don't need to see them until 2-3 yrs old - I guess they won't sit still that long for them to do anything anyway.  I might take him next time MH goes so that he can watch and get used to the place.

Hadn't thought about the eye dr - I thought the pedi would suggest it if needed?

• Options
    imageMrsNJSwimmer:

we asked our dentist (and various hygenists) a few times, and it seems they don't need to see them until 2-3 yrs old - I guess they won't sit still that long for them to do anything anyway.  I might take him next time MH goes so that he can watch and get used to the place.

i had to go to the dentist last week so I asked them (b/c I always thought it was when they hit 1 year) and they said 2 or even 3 (but to practice good hyigene as soon as they have teeth).  She also said she finds LOs have little tolerance for an exam so the quickest they can get them in and out of the office, the better.  I thought maybe me, DH & LO could all go together & she could watch us, then get her own cleaned.  But she said in her experience it just doesn't work that way.  Of course, every LO (and dentist) is different, but that is just what mine thought.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I have taken him to the eye doctor (it was me that posted about the InfantSee program - free eye exams before the child's first birthday).

It was important to us b/c MH had ambliopia (sp?) which means that his eyes did not develop at the same rate and even with state of the art treatment (back in the early 80's) he is still mostly blind in one eye when the eyes are tested together - however the one eye CAN independently see, they just don't work together. He has no depth perception (so he can't "see" 3d movies among other issues).  The earlier they catch it the better the chances for treatment.  One of the best treatments is still purposely skewing the vision in the good eye in order to make the weak eye get stronger. It's hereditary so we wanted Jack tested asap.

It's stuff like that they are looking for <12mo.  Babies obviously can't read an eye chart yet so they focus on making sure both eyes seem to be working together and test peripheral vision and light sensitivity.  The exam itself was pretty amazing b/c J was only about 7 mo old so it was neat to see all their little tricks for testing.

ANYWAYS,  yay both his eyes were obviously working together and we won't go back until this summer - just for a check up b/c by then he will be able to be tested for actual sight because he can talk (they put up pictures of animals he can name on the screen that usually has letters).

As for the dentist, we haven't done that.  I'm not interested in flouride at this time.

• Options

Cassie had her first visit to the doctor just last month, and she did really well. She got a general checkup and a cleaning. The dentist have her a princess toothbrush, toothpaste, and some floss. She was excited to come home with "sparkly" teeth. She is scheduled to go back every 6 months from now on.

As for the eye doctor, she hasn't been. Guess it's something I'll have to discuss at her 3 year well check. I have terrible vision so I'm praying it's something she doesn't inherit from me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"