Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Treating "milk neck"

LO is one of those babies where it's tough to find her neck. :)  She gets sour milk trapped in those neck fat folds.  As best as I wipe it out with face/hand wipes or get in there with soap/water during baths, it's still gross in there.  I've noticed lately that the fat folds in her neck kinda have a diaper rash look to them -  reddish rash.  Anyone heard of putting diaper rash cream in there to treat "milk neck," or do you have other remedies?

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Treating "milk neck"

• DS spits up a lot, so I try to wipe down his neck and shoulders with a clean wipe or washcloth every time I change his diaper.  I just started doing it each time to make it a habit and it seems to be keeping his skin fairly comfortable and clean.  We also bathe every day if he spits up a ton or every other day if it is only a mild spit up day.  Sadly we don't ever have no spit up days, that would be glorious!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD has this, and it is so gross. lol. We have never put anything on it, because it isn't diaper rash and I don't want the cream near her face.

Her pedi just said to keep it dry and to wipe it with a damp cloth several times a day.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Loading the player...
  • We have the same problem! I can't wait for her neck to come in. 

Anyway, the Doc did say you can use diaper cream, but be sure the area is totally dry before applying it, just like if you were putting it on the bum. Also petroleum jelly would work. The big thing is keeping it as dry as possible, as well as clean. I clean the folds out at night really well (various daytime wipe ups if needed) then I blot it dry with paper towel. I know that sounds awefull and harsh but I tried everything (cotton pads, tissues, wash cloths) and the others either don't dry it well enough or leave little bits of flush and rubbish. I also assess every evening and only get into the spots that are gross and/or not dry. I've found that if I leave the patches that are fine alone, they stay fine for longer. 

Hope that helps you, apparently it's nothing to be overly concerned about, they don't notice it, only is if starts oozing and looking really infected, they you need to get to the doctor.

We love our neckless babies anyway don't we? Their chub is what makes them such little loves. 

• We have a happy spitter, so there is always junk in her neck. We use a lot of drooler bibs, probably at least 3 a day. Also found that the newborn ones were small enough to catch the spit but not too tight (we have a peanut though).

I also will leave a couple wipes out to dry. I use wet ones to wipe out the junk and the dry ones to make sure it isn't moist. You can also use aquaphor if it is bad/

• Our pedi recommended rubbing A&D in Brooklyns fat folds to keep the skin from getting raw.
  • Hi, we were told to gently clean that area after meals and during bathing time with warm water and soap. Dry well and apply aquaphor.

• Ds had the same problem. Other than wiing it regularly, our DCP said to also keep it as dry as possible. It's the moist dark environments yeast and whatnot loves. Or DCP and dh and I worked on wiping and drying, and his neck is all cleared up now
    image image image
  • My pedi said keep it as clean and dry as possible. She said if it looks too irritated or red, a little antibiotic cream is ok in there.  She said because it's so moist and warm there bacteria can easily grow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mother sent me the Tommy Tippee Closer to Nature Milk Feeding bibs (you can buy them at BRU). I am using them pretty much all day to catch drool. They have a spongey pad around the neckline that absorbs more liquid. Those might help prevent the problem. As for treating it, try aquaphor ointment! Once the area is clean and dry, rub some aquaphor in the creases.
  • Yep. It sucks. I feel so bad for her because it looks like it should hurt. I try to keep it clean and put her desitin in the folds and they look better within 24 hours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Once it gets to that point, a little bit of Polysporin/Neosporin will kill the yeast bacteria (that's what's causing the smell and redness). It worked wonders for my little guy. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • imageTakeLuck:
    My mother sent me the Tommy Tippee Closer to Nature Milk Feeding bibs (you can buy them at BRU). I am using them pretty much all day to catch drool. They have a spongey pad around the neckline that absorbs more liquid. Those might help prevent the problem. As for treating it, try aquaphor ointment! Once the area is clean and dry, rub some aquaphor in the creases.

I have a set of these and LOVE them!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS hasn't had a neck yet!  Our doctor said to use Desitin.  I've used Butt Paste and it goes away over night.  Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"