High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone have a picc line?

I have hypermesis, and I have been hospitalized several times for dehydration during this pregnancy.  My doctor has informed me that if the constant vomiting doesn't slow down by 16 weeks (one more week), I will get a picc line put in and get IV meds and fluids through that for the rest of my pregnancy.  I am very anxious about this, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and has any words of wisdom or advice?  Thanks in advance!
Jackson Allen ? 10.1.11 ?
{Raising Jack}
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Anyone have a picc line?

• I'm not sure this is what you are looking for because its not pregnancy related but my mom had a picc line put In due to having leukemia. The procedure itself took maybe 2 hours and was outpatient and it never bothered her (it was place above her right breat near her shoulder) once it was In. Also, it was so much easier for her to receive treatments, blood transfusions, and IV fluids then getting poked with those big IV needles. You'll still get poked but the the picc is placed just under your skin so its a simple poke. I think If you have it put in, you will feel more relaxed when/if you have to go back to the hospital knowing you won't need yet another IV put in.
  • Also, it was put In under a 'twilight' anesthesia so she was not totally out like general anesthesia where you are completely out.
  • Loading the player...
  • image*Chicken*:
    I'm not sure this is what you are looking for because its not pregnancy related but my mom had a picc line put In due to having leukemia. The procedure itself took maybe 2 hours and was outpatient and it never bothered her (it was place above her right breat near her shoulder) once it was In. Also, it was so much easier for her to receive treatments, blood transfusions, and IV fluids then getting poked with those big IV needles. You'll still get poked but the the picc is placed just under your skin so its a simple poke. I think If you have it put in, you will feel more relaxed when/if you have to go back to the hospital knowing you won't need yet another IV put in.

Hi ladies, I'm a lurker since I'm diabetic and once we're KTFU I'll be joining you. Anyway, what you're referring to that is underneath the skin is a mediport. A PICC line, actually goes in in your arm, just higher up... it stands for peripherally inserted central catheter. It's more permanent  (can stay in for up to a year... or in your case for the remainder of your pregnancy)  than an IV that would be in your wrist or forearm but less permanent that a mediport which is implanted under the skin - usually for long term chemo treatments. With a PICC, you will have usually two ports and there will be some external tubing. With my patients that have PICC lines, most of the time they're in the upper arm. And since you have external ports, they can often access them for blood draws so you don't have to get poked repeatedly. My patients always say they forget they're there and they don't hurt. They're a pretty easy thing to have done, a trained RN or an MD can insert it. I found a picture of one so you can see what it looks like - and they very easily be concealed underneath a shirt. HTH!!!!!

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• I had a PICC line when I got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis back in 09.  My doctor wanted to keep me in the hospital for 2-3 more weeks (already been there 10 days) and I said no way.  He agreed to the PICC line so I could give myself prednisone 2 times a day at home.

It was a super easy thing.  Since I was already in the hospital they just did it before I left.  Mine was in my upper right arm on the inside.  It was a little sore afterwards and the inhome nurse would come once a week to clean it and change the dressing over it. 

The worst part was that I couldn't pick up my son with that arm and when I wanted to shower DH had to wrap it with Press and Seal then tape a bag over it.  I had it for 3 weeks and it never bothered me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a picc line due to hyperemesis as well. They just numbed the skin and put it in. I was wide awake. I had it only for 6 weeks and it helped so much. I wish you all the best and the only bad part for me was it kept itching like crazy. A nurse came to my home every week and changed the dressing and my DH hooked me up to IV and meds. It was pretty easy if he could do it
  • Thanks for all the input. Love the picture! I feel much better about this now. I dont think it will be too bad!! And I'm hoping it will only make things better? Pp with hypermesis, did you get zophran regularly in your Picc line?
    Jackson Allen ? 10.1.11 ?
    {Raising Jack}
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When I had severe preeclampsia in my first pregnancy and was in the hospital, I had a PICC line inserted in both arms- one arm at a time, because I was so swollen they couldn't draw labs. They ended up leaving it in for a week after I was discharged and I ended up with a blood clot in my right arm from it being left there. Of course they also discovered in the mean time I had a blood clotting disorder which is what likely caused the blood clot.

Anyways... the actual procedure wasn't that bad. They numb your arm first, then insert it. Procedure took like 30 minutes start to finish and that included set up and such. I was awake during the whole thing. It did sting a little, but no major pain.

Good luck.

• I had mine during my severe pre-eclampsia as well. No big deal. After all the sticking and poking I had endured, it was such a welcome thing. I was in heaven not to be bothered with IV starts after that.
    Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view
  • No Zofran because I am allergic. I received Phernegan
  • I have hyperemesis and had a PICC placed at 14 weeks. I agree with all the responses here. You just have to take good care of it, cleaning the ports and flushing it as directed. You will feel so much better being properly hydrated, and it's nice not to be in the hospital. Good luck and take care Smile

• I have had hyperemesis since I was about 5 weeks pregnant.  I have had my PICC for about 3 and a half months.  I am on TPN which is complete nutrition through my PICC and I am also on a zofran pump.  I was a little scared to get the PICC.  I am not sure why since I am a NICU nurse and my babies get them all the time.  It was such a simple procedure and only took about 20 minutes.  It was sore at the site the day it was put in but other than that it didn't bother me at all.  Except for having two packs with pumps in them I kind of forget I have the PICC.  I am so glad I have one though.  If you have any other questions or just want to chat feel free to PM me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"