North Carolina Babies

Pooping on the potty?

I know this has been asked before, but it's still impossible to find old posts.  Anyway, Liam's been potty trained for 2 weeks now.  He's doing great for the most part, few accidents and even waking dry from nap and in the morning most days.  We're super proud of him.

The only catch is that he has only pooped on the potty once so far.  He's gone in his undies a few times, and once even woke during the night to poop in his diaper (he's never done this before, but I think he'd been holding it in all day).  Right now, he hasn't gone in 3 days, and he used to go every day. He's been whiny and telling me his tummy hurts, and I know that's why.

How do I help him get more comfortable with this?  He did poop on the potty that one time, and was proud of himself afterward, and I even gave him a little "potty present" as a reward.  I remember you guys mentioning fiber gummies before, so I'm going to try to get some of these today.  Any other tips?

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pooping on the potty?

• I did 2 things.  1 - I started Nate on probiotics.  He had some strange poop and I thought the probiotics would help (and I think they have).

2. I got one of those dry-erase chore charts from Target, and then we got several small prizes and one "big" prize (about $10) that Nate chose.  We put all the prizes away, and put on the chore chart "Stay Dry" and "Poop on Potty."  He was staying dry anyway, but I wanted him to have something he could definitely achieve on the chart.

We put a star on the chart at the end of each day when he stayed dry and/or pooped on the potty.  The first day, he got a small prize for going on the potty.  After that, it was more like every 2 days.  I told him when he had 7 stars, he could get his big prize.  He was excited about it and wanted that prize.  He was really motivated to get 7 stars.   I figured if we could get him used to pooping on the potty for several days, he'd be comfortable with it.  It worked really well, and now he reliably goes on the potty and tells us when he needs to (with no need of prizes or anything afterwards).

• This is exactly what happened with Scott.  He was pooping at night because he finally relaxed then and sometimes he was waking up crying trying to poop at night.  We loaded him up with fruit and that did the trick to get things going again.  He also loves some high fiber cereal so we were letting him snack on that too.

Part of it is just time too.  Scott is finally (for the most part) pooping on the potty but that part definitely took much longer than pee.  And of course we're having set backs now with the move into the rental house and I'm sure we'll have more set backs when DS2 arrives.  We just give LOTS of praise for going poop on the potty and earlier he got a hershey kiss too.  :)

GL--sounds like Liam is well on his way! 

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageECUGirl2004:

2. I got one of those dry-erase chore charts from Target, and then we got several small prizes and one "big" prize (about $10) that Nate chose.  We put all the prizes away, and put on the chore chart "Stay Dry" and "Poop on Potty."  He was staying dry anyway, but I wanted him to have something he could definitely achieve on the chart.

We put a star on the chart at the end of each day when he stayed dry and/or pooped on the potty.  The first day, he got a small prize for going on the potty.  After that, it was more like every 2 days.  I told him when he had 7 stars, he could get his big prize.  He was excited about it and wanted that prize.  He was really motivated to get 7 stars.   I figured if we could get him used to pooping on the potty for several days, he'd be comfortable with it.  It worked really well, and now he reliably goes on the potty and tells us when he needs to (with no need of prizes or anything afterwards).

This is exactly what my SIL did with her daughter and it worked like a charm. She had a chart and a big prize at the end she got after a designated number of stars. She was super excited about it and would show me her chart whenever I'd come over. I think this is a great idea and will use it one day if the need comes up in our house for sure! GL!! Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"