Minnesota Babies
Options

Looking for a special car seat for after hip surgery and with a spica cast...

Hi all - I'm helping a fellow nestie by asking on my local boards. Her daughter had hip surgery last week because of severe dysplasia. Unfortunately, due to severity and her cast, she does not fit into the hippo car seat. The seat before the hippo is a Spelcast 1 but has been discontinued. She knows that it will be older and has expired. However, they are house bound right now. If they don't find an alternative, the only way to get to her doctor appointments/checkups is by ambulance. If you know of anyone that has had this type of surgery, can you please check to see if they may have this Spelcast 1 seat sitting around. TIA!
imageimage

Re: Looking for a special car seat for after hip surgery and with a spica cast...

• Options
    Didn't the MD's office make any recommendations of how to handle this? That would be my first thought is to contact them. Also, contact the social workers at the hospital they had the surgery done at, they can be a wealth of information and if they don't know the answer, will track it down! Is your friend here in Mpls? Either way, another resource would be if there is a local Children's Hospital that they could call (maybe the social workers again?) to try and get some help. GL to your friend!
  • Options

imageJessica011010:
    Didn't the MD's office make any recommendations of how to handle this? That would be my first thought is to contact them. Also, contact the social workers at the hospital they had the surgery done at, they can be a wealth of information and if they don't know the answer, will track it down! Is your friend here in Mpls? Either way, another resource would be if there is a local Children's Hospital that they could call (maybe the social workers again?) to try and get some help. GL to your friend!

She is in NJ and surgery was at CHOP.  No, they haven't been much help.  : (  Their response is the Hippo is the only thing available and other than that I guess you just need to stay home.  She is BEYOND frustrated. 

There is a car bed but that isn't wide enough either.  She is working with the company to see if they can make a custom bed but it will be over $1000 and insurance won't cover it.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry for your friend- we've been there. (See siggy). Have her ask/look here at this group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hipbaby/ 

• Options
    Thank you for your help and suggestions. They are getting a custom car bed made and will be delivered on Wednesday. It's not cheap (about $1000) but cheaper than medical transportation.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"