2nd Trimester

If you have to have cervical length checks via vaginal ultrasound....

What week did you start having them done?  My doctor wants me to start during week 18.  I went into preterm labor at 34 weeks last time.  I was under the impression that messing with your cervix is one good way to put you in labor!  I guess I just am worried about fueling the fire!  KWIM?

Re: If you have to have cervical length checks via vaginal ultrasound....

• Why would it put you into labor?  I had mine checked at 18 weeks.
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • imageKaren1998:
    Why would it put you into labor?  I had mine checked at 18 weeks.

Messing with your cervix somehow puts you in labor.  When I was in preterm labor for two weeks (34-36 weeks) with DD, the doc told me she wanted to hold off on always checking my cervix as it may put you in perterm labor. 

• Loading the player...
  • I had mine checked today at our A/S ..Last time I was put on bed rest/pelvic rest at 28 weeks due to a short cervix but it was just below the safe point..Not super short..

I had a growth u/s I believe at 30-32 weeks..cant remember exactly and it was still short..I didnt get any more monitoring on it than that.. I had DD at 36.6.

However this morning it measured 4.2 which is nice and long :) I hadnt heard anything about messing with your cervix = labor but I guess that makes sense since I was on pelvic rest as well.

• i have been getting checked via u/s since wk 12, im 19 now. they said it was perfectly fine. its also great seeing your baby every 2 weeks, good luck to you :)
  • Im having twins so I started having them @ 16 wks.

They do them externally so no issues with causing contractions.

• I have had 7 transvaginal ultrasounds and 8 regular ultrasounds done so far...and my doctor says they will continue to do them every 4 weeks when I come in for check ups. I hope they done cause pre-term labor he gave me no reason to think that they can be harmful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had these done every three weeks starting at 12 weeks and ending 2 weeks ago (not sure if they will do more when I get later on). These don't "mess with your cervix" They do it transvaginally and look at your cervix length from that point of view but it doesn't actually touch your cervix so you should have nothing to worry about. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"