High-Risk Pregnancy

Does your Glucometer give you different results?

So, sometimes I'll test my level and it will be a few points over, and me being me, will then test it again and I'll get a different result... sometimes higher than the first one, sometimes lower.  I have done the solution test to confirm its accuracy and that checks out....  what the heck is going on with these?  How the heck can I trust that the numbers I'm reporting are actually accurate when there is such a variance?  Esp with this is supposed to drive whether or not I'll need to be put on insulin.

has anybody else noticed this, and if so, has their doctor been able to give them an acceptable explaination as to why this would occur?  Mine had no clue.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does your Glucometer give you different results?

• Yes!!!! I was just going to post about this: Sometimes I'll test and it shows high, and *I know* it has to be wrong bc I have been eating impecably and feel great. So I will test in another finger, and the results have been consistently 30 points lower!!! WTF?!? 30 points? that's a huge difference.

I have also done the control solution test, but havent had a chance to ask my doctor. I'm kind of glad I am not the only one :S

What brand do you have? I have a Bayer Contour. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have the one touch mini.  I went to get the solution the other day, and it was $12! I couldn't believe it.  Just seems odd to me that they actually make a solution for people to test the accuracy of these things...I mean, shouldn't they be reliable from the start?!

I've been researching it a little and I keep finding that they are supposed to have 20% accuracy... which seems pretty lax if you ask me considering that doctors change your treatment plan based off of 1 point.

• Loading the player...
  • The meters aren't perfect, but they are accurate +/- about 15% I believe (or so mine says). The solution isn't to test the accuracy of the meter, it's to make sure your vial of test strips isn't a bad batch. Testing with the at home meters gives you a general picture of your blood sugar levels so you and your doctor can look for patterns. Patterns of highs or lows are what indicate a change in treatment, not 1 point here and there.

As far as getting a different reading from a different finger, that happens to me sometimes if my hands aren't very very clean before I test. It's typically because there's some food residue or lotion or something still on the first finger I tested with.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

The meters aren't perfect, but they are accurate +/- about 15% I believe (or so mine says). The solution isn't to test the accuracy of the meter, it's to make sure your vial of test strips isn't a bad batch. Testing with the at home meters gives you a general picture of your blood sugar levels so you and your doctor can look for patterns. Patterns of highs or lows are what indicate a change in treatment, not 1 point here and there.

As far as getting a different reading from a different finger, that happens to me sometimes if my hands aren't very very clean before I test. It's typically because there's some food residue or lotion or something still on the first finger I tested with.

I only wish that were true for all doctors, mine has specifically told me that if I have a reading over the cutoff, even by 1 point, they are putting me on insulin. 

I've done the washing of hands, even tested on the same finger... and sometimes even with the same drop of blood. Each time I've gotten a variance. 

• imageWinkski15:
    imagememali26:

The meters aren't perfect, but they are accurate +/- about 15% I believe (or so mine says). The solution isn't to test the accuracy of the meter, it's to make sure your vial of test strips isn't a bad batch. Testing with the at home meters gives you a general picture of your blood sugar levels so you and your doctor can look for patterns. Patterns of highs or lows are what indicate a change in treatment, not 1 point here and there.

I only wish that were true for all doctors, mine has specifically told me that if I have a reading over the cutoff, even by 1 point, they are putting me on insulin. 

I've done the washing of hands, even tested on the same finger... and sometimes even with the same drop of blood. Each time I've gotten a variance. 

I would have a hard time trusting a dr who was so quick to jump to meds that can cause my BS to crash. I am all for insulin when needed and will probably be put on it next week, but that's after several weeks of watching my BS patterns, not just a random high that could be explained by stress or illness or a hormone surge. But, that's just me, I'm also the type who has researched too much for my own good :P

Hand washing was just a suggestion. Like I said, meters aren't perfect and they are just meant to give an overall picture of the BS patterns.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:
    imageWinkski15:
    imagememali26:

I would have a hard time trusting a dr who was so quick to jump to meds that can cause my BS to crash. I am all for insulin when needed and will probably be put on it next week, but that's after several weeks of watching my BS patterns, not just a random high that could be explained by stress or illness or a hormone surge. But, that's just me, I'm also the type who has researched too much for my own good :P

Hand washing was just a suggestion. Like I said, meters aren't perfect and they are just meant to give an overall picture of the BS patterns.

My doc has been monitoring my levels for several weeks, and now is telling me if I continue to have any levels over even by 1 point I need to be put on insulin as I've had a handful over the past few weeks.  The part I am struggling with is how can they possibly make that kind of decision when the meters have that kind of a variance?  And was wondering if others were experiencing the same. Thanks for you input though.

• imageWinkski15:

My doc has been monitoring my levels for several weeks, and now is telling me if I continue to have any levels over even by 1 point I need to be put on insulin as I've had a handful over the past few weeks.  The part I am struggling with is how can they possibly make that kind of decision when the meters have that kind of a variance?  And was wondering if others were experiencing the same. Thanks for you input though.

I wasn't trying to imply you aren't being monitored properly. I'm sure you are. I'm just surprised that a dr would be so concerned about one point high a handful of time over a few weeks when the meters are meant to give a range. Just another thing about GD that's different from dr to dr, I guess.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:
    imageWinkski15:

I'm just surprised that a dr would be so concerned about one point high a handful of time over a few weeks when the meters are meant to give a range. Just another thing about GD that's different from dr to dr, I guess.

I totally agree....meters are NOT 100% accurate.   They don't claim to be and the my diabetes center is also aware of that.  If my BS levels were only running 1 point more than the range, I would be really weary about starting insulin.  Insulin in that case would probably only cause you to get a bunch of lows.  Every week I have approx 1- 2 high numbers (within 5-10 points) and they have not put me on insulin during meal times....they are looking for patterns on types of food, specific meals, or consistent highs.  I would definitely discuss this with your doctor and/or OB.

When you are retesting, are you changing the lancet?  That could affect the numbers.  Or handwashing/lotions/food left on your hands can also do the same.  Or....it could just be the error of measurement.  I have only retested twice and they were actually within 5 points- so not much of a difference.  I try not to retest because then it just confuses me!!  Which number do I keep?  IT just stresses me out even more!  I learned that when I had GD last pregnancy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Along with the accuracy of the meters being within +/- 20%, I also learned today that if you milk your finger too much to get the blood out after you prick it (depending upon the meter, I guess), it can cause extra fluid to come out which will skew your blood results and that you should discard the first drop of blood and use the next one that comes out? That's what the nurse told me today at the center when I went in for my recheck, but I wasn't told that originally....so who knows?
    Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"