July 2011 Moms

Can I (legally) say no to the 3 hour glucose test?

I just found out that I "failed" the 1 hour test. My office wants you to be under 130 and I was EXACTLY 130. I feel like that is such BS that they want me to take the test when I know a lot of other doctor's offices have the cut off at 140. I am thinking this is just a ploy for the doctor's office to make more money off me (or my insurance company) by sending me to get the 3 hour test over 1 point.

Can I tell them I opt not to take the test? Or will they call DYFUS on me? I really really REALLY don't want to subject my baby to ANOTHER sugar rush like that if it's unnecessary.

__________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Can I (legally) say no to the 3 hour glucose test?

• I don't think they can LEGALLY make you test again.  But be prepared for the guilt trip they'll probably try and put you on.

Is there another doctor at the practice you can speak to for a 2nd opinion?

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Id talk to them about it, get a second opinion if you want.

I cant imagine having to retake it for being that close, but I probably would for the safety & health of my baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Of course you can legally opt out. However your doctor can also choose to no longer treat you. I am currently taking the 3 hour (not sure what my 1 hour number was). It isn't so bad though.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am no lawyer or law expert, but I'm pretty sure you can decline it. I read a post recently (June '11...there by mistake I think) where a woman disputed her doctor's diagnosis of her having GD because her levels were super borderline on only one of the hour interval draws if I remember correctly. 

Personally, I'd ask for a re-do of the one hour since you were at the cut-off. That seems stupid they'd send you for the 3 hour for that. 

• They can't MAKE you take it.

I thought about opting out because I have no history of diabetes and didn't have GD with DS#1. I'm not one for unnecessary tests/procedures. 

• The cut off for my office is 129 for this very reason I guess. I don't think they can legally make you take the test but they can refuse to keep you on as a patient. Honestly, if you trust your Dr. (which it seems like maybe you don't) I would take the 3 hour. You don't want to have GD and not know.
  • aesfaesf member

Of course. You don't legally have to get pre-natal care at all.  However your doctor will, and frankly should drop you.  I know its not fair his standards are lower BUT if thats what he believes she should not continue to treat you undiagnosed.

You should get a second opinion, consider a new dr.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • They can't call DYFUS on you for refusing a medical test. What you might ask to do, instead, is what I did. Might you consider a 2 hour postpranidal reading instead? (2 hours after you eat lunch) . it could be a happy medium for you both. My doc didn't even make me do a 1 hour glucose (though i did anyway at work). I failed it...but she would rather have postprandial and fasting readings anyway, since she suspected my glucose tolerance was impaired.

You can refuse any medical testing you want. I would say: "I don't feel that I would benefit from a 3 hour glucose test, and would rather opt to do a 2 hour postprandial" 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFutureMrsWittig:

I don't think they can LEGALLY make you test again.  But be prepared for the guilt trip they'll probably try and put you on.

Is there another doctor at the practice you can speak to for a 2nd opinion?

This basically. They can't legally make you do crap, you don't even have to go for prenatal care if for whatever reason you want opt out of it. But I'm sure they'll work ways to hype you into it (you know the bit when they try to cause mass hysteria) lol.

I can't even tell you the amount of times I wanted to tell them to screw off and just call them when I'm in labor (skip all the monotonous appts) !!  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBlinkingLight1:

They can't MAKE you take it.

I thought about opting out because I have no history of diabetes and didn't have GD with DS#1. I'm not one for unnecessary tests/procedures. 

GD doesn't really work like that though. It is obviously pregnancy induced and while you may not have had it with one pregnancy, it doesn't mean you're immune to it with subsequent pregnancies. I've known 2 people that had it with their first and not with their second and 2 that had the opposite. I passed my glucose test with flying colors the first time, and I failed this time, so I'd rather have the peace of mind. 

• imageMrs Castillo:

I can't even tell you the amount of times I wanted to tell them to screw off and just call them when I'm in labor (skip all the monotonous appts) !!  

Until they catch an elevated BP or UTI, right?  Confused

OP, get a second opinion or take the 3 hour. 

• imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

GD doesn't really work like that though. It is obviously pregnancy induced and while you may not have had it with one pregnancy, it doesn't mean you're immune to it with subsequent pregnancies. I've known 2 people that had it with their first and not with their second and 2 that had the opposite. I passed my glucose test with flying colors the first time, and I failed this time, so I'd rather have the peace of mind. 

Exactly.  GD is related to the placenta which changes with each pregnancy.  Link

• imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

I really didn't research it very much because I thought I wasn't taking it until 28 weeks. She surprised me at 25 weeks and asked if I wanted it, I was kind of caught off guard so I said yes. 

I learned from my last pregnancy not to do everything they tell me just because they tell me to do it... so I question everything now and research it.

They didn't even offer it to me with #1 because they tested my urine and never saw elevated sugar levels. 

• If it was that close i would think you would probably pass the 3 hour test no?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageGracieLouFreebush*:
    imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

Exactly.  GD is related to the placenta which changes with each pregnancy.  Link

I also know two ladies who didn't have it with their first, but had it with their second.

Also, Blinkinglight, aren't you tavia, too? What happened to your old screen name?

imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

A family history of diabetes does play into it though, right? 

• They can't make you do anything, actually. And some places will screen you in other ways and then just offer (not automatically assume you will do) the initial 1 hour test.

This is a personal decision and if you feel comfortable after doing the research not taking the additional test, that is certainly your right. Don't let anyone else's pressure make you do something you're not comfortable with.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBlinkingLight1:
    imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

I really didn't research it very much because I thought I wasn't taking it until 28 weeks. She surprised me at 25 weeks and asked if I wanted it, I was kind of caught off guard so I said yes. 

I learned from my last pregnancy not to do everything they tell me just because they tell me to do it... so I question everything now and research it.

They didn't even offer it to me with #1 because they tested my urine and never saw elevated sugar levels. 

Just because you have high blood sugar, it does not always mean the sugar will spill over into your urine. I know several diabetics who have never had a reading of sugar in their urine. I had no sugar in my urine when my 1 hour indicated blood sugar in the 180s. Sugar leaking over into your urine indicates that it could've been caught sooner. (even having borderline high levels continuously over long periods of time.....something not always found in urine....can start causing damage to kidney's and retinas in diabetics) 

• I called and argued with the doc - she is retesting me on the 1 hour next week!  Worth a try?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • imagemiller4285:

Just because you have high blood sugar, it does not always mean the sugar will spill over into your urine. I know several diabetics who have never had a reading of sugar in their urine. I had no sugar in my urine when my 1 hour indicated blood sugar in the 180s. Sugar leaking over into your urine indicates that it could've been caught sooner. (even having borderline high levels continuously over long periods of time.....something not always found in urine....can start causing damage to kidney's and retinas in diabetics) 

Interesting. Well, like I said I didn't know much of anything the first time around so I didn't even know to ask for it. They just told me that (urine test) was why they never offered it to me.

• imageaesf:

Of course. You don't legally have to get pre-natal care at all.  However your doctor will, and frankly should drop you.  I know its not fair his standards are lower BUT if thats what he believes she should not continue to treat you undiagnosed.

You should get a second opinion, consider a new dr.

THIS but i dont fully understand why you wouldnt want to safely find out if you have or dont have GD?

Live,Laugh and love image"image"image"imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageBlinkingLight1:
    imagemiller4285:

Interesting. Well, like I said I didn't know much of anything the first time around so I didn't even know to ask for it. They just told me that (urine test) was why they never offered it to me.

I have new doc this time around. She actually was so convinced I had it with last one (though she wasn't my doc), she said she'd be happy if I kept a log with a home glucose kit instead of doing ANY glucose monitoring.  She'd rather see real-time trends than what happens when you drink a bunch of sugar. She will do this for people she thinks may have it or have had it before......or even health professionals with access to prick their finger at the office. Others she will only offer the glucose at first. If they fail...she offers choice between 3 hour or post-prandial home monitoring. I like that she offers choices in it. 

• imageBlinkingLight1:
    imagemiller4285:

That sounds extremely strange to me that they just went off your urine. Like Miller pointed out, it's not a remotely accurate way of testing sugar levels. I have never ever heard of a doctor using this as a means to determine whether or not to test, much less only "offer" the test. Ever. 

I tried to reply to your question about it being hereditary but my computer freaked out... I'm pretty certain that family history of diabetes (or lack thereof) is not considered to be a reliable indicator of GD. Two totally different things with two very different causes.

• Would she be open to giving you a 2 hour test? What if you are borderline or fail the 1 hour again? Now you will be opening yourself to having to do the test 3 times to figure out what is going on.

I would just do the 3 hour and call it a day. GD (if you have it) would hurt the baby much more than a temporary sugar rush (if you didn't).

You can't really use past pregnancies or history as an indicator. In my class 8 of the 10 women were within a healthy weight range, ate well, had no family history of diabetes, and did not have GD with their first kids (1 to 3 kids).

• imageBlinkingLight1:
    imageGracieLouFreebush*:
    imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

Nothing I've read suggests family history.  Family history can play into Type I and Type II diabetes but GD is a whole other ball game.

• imagellcoolay:

THIS but i dont fully understand why you wouldnt want to safely find out if you have or dont have GD?

I'm of the same mindset. Yes, it's a pain in the azz. (I failed my one hour with a reading of 139, so I'm also "borderline" and going for my 3 hour on Friday-my day off!) but honestly, I'd rather give up 3 hours of my time than have an undiagnosed issue which can cause my baby breathing problems, among other issues.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Thanks ladies. I'll just suck it up and take it (the 3 hour test) but I tend to question authority a lot so that is why I was asking. Whoever said it's better for the baby to have the extra sugar rush than a mom w/ GD, you're right. That sealed the deal for me, so thank you. And also the people who said I might get another borderline reading of a retake on the 1 hour. Not worth it to me. I'll just take the 3 hour.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Would your doctor be willing to meet in the middle and do a 2 hour? Less of a sugar hit for the baby but still reliable for detecting GD.

• First time around I missed the cutoff by 4 points and passed the 3 hour with flying colors.  If the health of my baby was an issue, whether it was one point or 100 points, I would probably do whatever my doctor wanted me to do.  JMO.  

• imageSaltina11:
    Thanks ladies. I'll just suck it up and take it (the 3 hour test) but I tend to question authority a lot so that is why I was asking. Whoever said it's better for the baby to have the extra sugar rush than a mom w/ GD, you're right. That sealed the deal for me, so thank you. And also the people who said I might get another borderline reading of a retake on the 1 hour. Not worth it to me. I'll just take the 3 hour.

Glad to hear it. Good luck!

• This sounds like something my DH would say (about the doctors taking our money unnecessarily). I don't blame you for thinking that. I think you should question them or get a second opinion. Yes, there is a risk of hurting the doctor/patient relationship, but like others have said, if you don't like the way they treat you, maybe you are better off getting another doc. Also, I wouldn't be worried about the health of your baby, because 130 is low considering some pass at 140.
  • imageBlinkingLight1:
    imageGracieLouFreebush*:
    imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

I personally don't have a history of diabetes in my family history but I was diagnosed with GD

Pregnancy Ticker

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd be very frustrated that they failed you with a 130. Most clinics use a cutoff of 140, anyway.

I wouldn't "refuse" but I'd just discuss it with my OB, stating that I was comfortable with the number and didn't feel the three-hour was necessary.

I've read a number of peer-reviewed articles on GD test results and GD outcomes, and I'm 100% comfortable skipping the 3-hour test in the future if my 1-hour test was <140 or so.

ETA: If you read the scientific articles on GD, most state that screening does not help any outcomes for mother or the baby, it just increases a c-section rate. I think that GD is overblown for the most part (unless the test results are very high).

• aesfaesf member
    imageGracieLouFreebush*:
    imageBlinkingLight1:
    imageGracieLouFreebush*:
    imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

Nothing I've read suggests family history.  Family history can play into Type I and Type II diabetes but GD is a whole other ball game.

i specifically asked 2 of the 4 midwives in my practices this question and they told my type 2 in the family increases your risk.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • I failed my first test at 145 with the cutting point 140 and my husband thought that was the idea of ripping off the insurance company and even was talking me into not doing it ))) well seems unfair to me i can imagine how you feel ))) I am not even gaining enough weight ...though still did the 3 hours yesterday, wasnt bad, too much glucose though, waiting for the results))) hoping for the best

imageBlinkingLight1:
    imageGracieLouFreebush*:
    imageCOMomma81:
    imageBlinkingLight1:

Type 2 can increase  your risk, but it doesn't "seal the deal".  My cousin who is due the same day as me had to do her GD test early because her mom had GD (with her middle of pregnancies) and her dad has type 2.  My bio dad has type 2, but they asked me a bunch of questions about his lifestyle, and they had me go at the regular time. 

OP, I'm glad you are doing the test.  It is a bit of a PITA, but at least you have peace of mind!

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageCOMomma81:

Personally, I'd ask for a re-do of the one hour since you were at the cut-off. That seems stupid they'd send you for the 3 hour for that. 

I think this would be the way to go. 

• Legally, no. They cannot MAKE you take the 3 hour or any GD test. However, that doesn't mean that they don't have rights too. They can choose to no longer see you (which is unlikely) or make you sign a waiver of sorts. The GD tests have proven to give both false positives and false negatives so I am sure you are not the first person who has declined in their office. I declined with DD (haven't taken yet this time either). My dr. had me check my own blood sugar several times a day just to be sure things weren't way out of whack or anything crazy. Good luck whatever you decide. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"