South Florida Babies

6 mo appt and solids success!

Elise is quite the chunkster considering she JUST started solids and I never added cereal to her bottles.  At her 6 month appointment, she is at 75th percentile for height but 90th percentile for weight.  Pedi said she was fine and to continue doing w/e I'm doing b/c it works.  She was impressed with all her motor skills and her interest in EVERYTHING and how demanding she is, lol, since she was upset that she couldn't grab her stethoscope!  But, of course, she mentioned that she should STTN and NOT wake up for a feeding even if it's at 5 a.m.  But, in my mind that is STTN since she goes down at 8 p.m.  Her next feeding after that is around 9 a.m. So, it's not a big deal to me.  She insisted that I don't give her the bottle if she cries b/c she needs to learn how to go back to sleep on her own.  I know we had this conversation on the Bump recently.  She does know how to put herself back to sleep if she's not hungry, but if she's hungry her cry is totally different and the pacifier won't soothe her at that point.  So, I didn't really want to argue with the pedi, but I think I'll just keep feeding her IF she wakes up for a feeding. If your baby had an early a.m. feeding, when did they drop it completely?

Other than that, she is finally liking solids.  She has been eating sweet potatoes and peas well all week!  I guess she just didn't like the cereal or she just needed an extra week to be ready.  She's so cute and she definitely knows how to express herself because she shakes her head at me to say "no" when she doesn't want anymore or she even pushes my hand away. 

Re: 6 mo appt and solids success!

• J didn't drop his 6am feeding until he was about 8 months. I don't think it was a hunger thing, rather it was more of a comfort thing.

The STTN and dropping the morning feeding came once we moved him in to his own room. The first 2 nights he woke up at 3 and 6:30. Then he dropped the 3am wake up and then at the beginning of the second week he dropped the 6:30. Now he wakes up between 8-8:30 and then we bring him in to our bed to watch cartoons and drink his morning bottle and he usually falls asleep again. He'll then sleep for another 1-2.5 hours.

I think it's going to be different with every baby. I think for the pedi to say that she's "not supposed to" isn't really right. I think that it should have been worded the way I've read it time and time again. They can definitely make it thru the night with out an extra feeding but again, every baby is different.

I know babies who @ 1 yr old still wake up in the night.

Maybe now with the solids, she drop the morning feeding sooner. Otherwise, unless it's a big problem for you, I wouldn't worry about it :)

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • AlbahAlbah member
    imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

So, I didn't really want to argue with the pedi, but I think I'll just keep feeding her IF she wakes up for a feeding. If your baby had an early a.m. feeding, when did they drop it completely?

First, great job Elise on eating those solids like a champ! :-) You know my position on that middle of the night feeding so I agree....if hungry, I feed. They do grow out of it! Evan didn't drop that early AM feeding until I weaned him from BFing at 13 months. All babies are different though. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • You guys are right.  I guess it just bugged me the way she said.  Like Justine said, I know she CAN do it... she does it about half the time.  But, the way she said that for her size she doesn't need that feeding just irked me.  It made me feel like I was making her overweight.  But, she just drinks 4 or 5 oz at a time except for her last feeding which she'll sometimes have 7 or 8 oz.  So, I know that's why she likes to eat more frequently during the day.  I've heard of babies that have 4 8-oz bottles a day and that's it, but she never wants more than 4 or 5 oz in one feeding during the day.
  • imageMrsJOSEnADRI:
    You guys are right.  I guess it just bugged me the way she said.  Like Justine said, I know she CAN do it... she does it about half the time.  But, the way she said that for her size she doesn't need that feeding just irked me.  It made me feel like I was making her overweight.  But, she just drinks 4 or 5 oz at a time except for her last feeding which she'll sometimes have 7 or 8 oz.  So, I know that's why she likes to eat more frequently during the day.  I've heard of babies that have 4 8-oz bottles a day and that's it, but she never wants more than 4 or 5 oz in one feeding during the day.

J didn't start doing this until not long ago. He used to be just like Elise and drank a lot of smaller bottles. Now, he drinks 4 7-8oz(althought sometime it's a 6-6.5oz bottle) bottles during the day and 2 solid meals.

You'r baby is healthy and as long as YOU don't find there to be a problem and YOU aren't bothered with it then just keep doing what you're doing :) Elise is perfect!

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • imageMrs.HisOnly:

imageMrsJOSEnADRI:
    You guys are right.  I guess it just bugged me the way she said.  Like Justine said, I know she CAN do it... she does it about half the time.  But, the way she said that for her size she doesn't need that feeding just irked me.  It made me feel like I was making her overweight.  But, she just drinks 4 or 5 oz at a time except for her last feeding which she'll sometimes have 7 or 8 oz.  So, I know that's why she likes to eat more frequently during the day.  I've heard of babies that have 4 8-oz bottles a day and that's it, but she never wants more than 4 or 5 oz in one feeding during the day.

J didn't start doing this until not long ago. He used to be just like Elise and drank a lot of smaller bottles. Now, he drinks 4 7-8oz(althought sometime it's a 6-6.5oz bottle) bottles during the day and 2 solid meals.

You'r baby is healthy and as long as YOU don't find there to be a problem and YOU aren't bothered with it then just keep doing what you're doing :) Elise is perfect!

Thx, Tine! 

• Glad Ms Elise is growing and progressing perfectly!  Glad she's eating the solids well.  M didn't like the cereal either... but enjoys veggies.

For what it's worth, my doc said that a lot of babies aren't STTN until 1 yr old!  Not trying to scare you... more trying to give you another doc opinion.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecocojack10:

Glad Ms Elise is growing and progressing perfectly!  Glad she's eating the solids well.  M didn't like the cereal either... but enjoys veggies.

For what it's worth, my doc said that a lot of babies aren't STTN until 1 yr old!  Not trying to scare you... more trying to give you another doc opinion.

LOL!  Don't worry, I figured!  Like I said, to me she does STTN bc even if she wakes for a feeding, it takes 10 minutes and she goes right back to sleep.  In total, she sleeps 11 hours at night.   I know there are different techniques to get rid of that 1 feeding, but they sound like more work to me than to just feed her.  And, about half of the time she doesn't wake for that feeding, so If she does she must be really hungry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"