TTC After a Loss 6 Months+

D&C Advice Needed and Re-Intro

Hi Ladies.  I re-introduced myself on TTCAL last night but most of the ladies that I know are over here.  Plus with this being our 3rd loss and us now TTCAL for a year and a half I definitely belong and feel more comfortable on the 6+ board. 

My D&C is scheduled for tomorrow morning and I'm not sure exactly what to expect.  My first loss was an ectopic with major surgery and removal of my left tube and my 2nd loss happened early and naturally.  I know that unfortunately some of you ladies have been through it so I was wondering if you had any advice on what I should expect and recovery afterwards?

"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart"

Our TTC Journey

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a mom to my 4 angel babies who were taken from us much to soon!
BFP#1 on 09/29/09 and EP discovered/Left Tube lost on 10/19/09 EDD 06/12/10
BFP# 2 on 03/21/2010 EDD 11/30/10 Natural M/C on 3/27/10
BFP# 3 on 02/14/2011 EDD 10/28/11 Missed M/C discovered 4/19/11 and D&C 4/21/11 On 5/6/11 we found out our Oct Angel was a beautiful little girl <3
IVF#1=BFP#4 on 8/31/11 EDD 5/12/12 EP discovered and MTX shot given 9/14/ & 9/21 M/C on 10/9/11
IVF#2 and Stims started 12/2 ER 12/16 ET 12/21 transferred two beautiful blastocysts. Please stick LO's! BFP 12/26
Benjamin Matthew Our Little Miracle Born 9/5/2012!
BFP 1/2/14 EDD 9/11/14

Re: D&amp;amp;C Advice Needed and Re-Intro

• I've had three.   I want to warn you, they ask you at least 3-4 times "What procedure are we doing today?"  It is so they make sure they do the right surgery on the right patient but it sucks to have to answer over and over. I was put under for all three.  Coming out from under the anethesia as the worst part for me. The pain wasn't any worse than a period.  They gave me pain meds at the hospital and 800 mg ibuprofen for home.  I didn't need to take many. If your DR doesn't offer, ask.  My DR also said that I coulod take 800 mg of OTC ibuprofen but not to do it for long....2-3 days as opposed to 2-3 weeks.  Bleeding varied.  The first was barely a trickle after the surgery, the second was more like a period, the third  I bled a lot and passed a lot of clots.  DR didn't seemed too concerned.  I think the " fill a maxi pad and hour"  rule is what they are looking for as a complication.  Also you need to watch for fever or severe pain.  I was told that I could probably "resume normal activity" within 24- 48 hrs and that proved to be true.  I wouldn't run a marathon or dig a ditch but you can probably cook, shop, sit at a desk, etc. Emotional recovery is a complete oither story , obviously.  You should have a follow-up visit about  2 wks after.

HTH and I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.

dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• Welcome, I'm sorry you have to be here.  I had a d&c following delivery, so my experience is probably a little different.  But, it wasn't bad physically.  My hips were a little sore and my throat hurt for the tube.  It was pretty quick.
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh sweetie! On top of everything you're dealing with to have to go in scared?!?

Sadly, I've had 3 D&Cs. I will share my experience and suggestions. Bear in mind your experince/hospital policies may be a bit different but for what it's worth:

1. Bring a trashy mag or something to entertain yourself that you can leave behind. You will need to check in and do paperwork hours before the procedure. DH sent away for much of the time and light distraction helped me not think about what I was dealing with.
    2. Endless questions by multiple people. This was what sucked the worst. It's a safety measure - triple checking that the right person is getting the right procedure. But multiple times you will need to tell people your name, date of birth, etc. and what procedure you're getting done.
    3. They'll start an IV in the hand (that was always the most painful for me). Usually draw some blood, too. I was always offered tons of blankets fresh from the warmer. Don't feel bad about asking for more, telling them you need to get up to pee, etc.
    4. The anesthetist (sp?) and doc will speak with you shortly before the surg. and go over any final questions. Sometimes the doc will walk beside the bed as they wheel you in to the OR, sometimes they don't come in until after you're knocked out.
    5. I'll be honest. The OR is a scary room. My entire family works in the medical profession and I'm very comfortable around needles, hospitals, etc. but even I got nervous. The room was always very bright and cold... sometimes there's music playing (weird peppy music for the team's benefit - not necessarily yours).  You'll be transferred to the operating bed and strapped in. The anesthetist will come in, talk to you, and tell you he/she is going to start the drug. It's administered through the IV in your hand (not gas mask). I felt a cold, tingle/sting sensation for a few seconds then nothing.
    6. The first time I woke up sobbing in recovery (apparently quite common). The other times I was just loopy. The cramping was similar to AF and the nurses were very generous about giving pain meds (again through the IV in your hand so relief hit within a minute or two).
    7. After about 20-40 minutes, when you're slightly more awake, they'll check your pad (nasty, huge hospital size pad placed in your crotch for bleeding) and replace as necessary. One time the nurse brought me my panties and a replacement pad and let me put that on myself (with the curtain pulled), the other two times I was given a pad to use when taken to change.
    8. After they feel you're fairly awake, vitals are stable, etc. you'll be taken to a secondary recovery area. I was encouraged to sit in a chair, dress myself, drink juice and crackers, etc. At some point DH was shown back. Sometimes to help me dress, sometimes after I'd done it myself.
    9. You'll still be a little awkward so wear clothing that is very easy to put on. flip-flops or Ugg-type boots, sweatpants and a pullover hoodie (no bra to mess with) worked best. Baseball cap or ponytail holder for the hair if you'll care.
    10. Once juice and crackers stay down you're wheeled to a car and sent home.
    11. No make-up, nail polish, etc. Doc will tell you this but just a reminder. Also, ditch the jewelry. I think you can wear wedding band but easiest to just leave it all at home.
    12. Get a pain meds prescription and have DH fill it at the hospital pharmacy while you're having the procedure. You may not need it but better safe than sorry.
    13. Bring your own pad. Sometimes the hospital has nice ones, but usually they SUCK and better to have your own to use when you change.
    14. Bring your own Fuzzy socks. The hospital supplies you with those nasty slipper socks with rubber grips on the bottoms to keep your feet warm. I preferred to bring my own. It was a tiny little comfort from home that I was allowed.

Huge HUGS.

• Thank you ladies for all your advice and support.  Today is going so slow and I wish the D&C was over already so I could try and figure how to heal from this.  Having LO inside of me knowing there not growing anymore is torture and all I seem to be able to do today is cry.

"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart"

Our TTC Journey

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a mom to my 4 angel babies who were taken from us much to soon!
    BFP#1 on 09/29/09 and EP discovered/Left Tube lost on 10/19/09 EDD 06/12/10
    BFP# 2 on 03/21/2010 EDD 11/30/10 Natural M/C on 3/27/10
    BFP# 3 on 02/14/2011 EDD 10/28/11 Missed M/C discovered 4/19/11 and D&C 4/21/11 On 5/6/11 we found out our Oct Angel was a beautiful little girl <3
    IVF#1=BFP#4 on 8/31/11 EDD 5/12/12 EP discovered and MTX shot given 9/14/ & 9/21 M/C on 10/9/11
    IVF#2 and Stims started 12/2 ER 12/16 ET 12/21 transferred two beautiful blastocysts. Please stick LO's! BFP 12/26
    Benjamin Matthew Our Little Miracle Born 9/5/2012!
    BFP 1/2/14 EDD 9/11/14

• I've never had a D&C, so I have no advice there. I just wanted to let you know that I have an idea of what you're going through, and it's awful. I've been trying for a year and a half too. I'm so sorry for your losses.

(((Hugs)))

BFP #1: 5/3/10 Natural MC: 5/11/10 BFP #2: 3/24/11 C/p: 3/29/11 BFP #3: 5/17/11 C/P: 5/20/11 BFP #4: 11/13/11 Daisypath Anniversary tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic ~*~Congrats to my TTCAL buddies toshbosh233 & clairenmonique, EDDs 4/2011; bekahjen, EDD 5/2011; MCH77, EDD 7/2011; HokieMomma, EDD 8/2011; shanna82, EDD 9/2011; Rachel4127, EDD 10/2011~*~
  • I'm so sorry you have to be back here.  The D&C was a very easy procedure physically.  Recovery wasn't bad at all.  They'll give you some pain pills and you may have some spotting/cramping.  Huge hugs to you. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry you had another loss. My D&C was also a very easy procedure. I barely bled after and didn't have much cramping at all. It's the emotional part that sucks. I hope it goes as smooth as possible for you. ((hugs))

BFP 12/18/2009. HB 1/4/2010. NO HB 1/18/2010. D&C 1/19/2010
    April 2011 IUI #1 BFN. High FSH and other issues.
    May 2011 Chose to build our family through adoption
    September 2011 Actively waiting for a match
    11/26/11 Surprise BFP * DD born 7/23/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh no!  I'm so, so sorry!  I have had three.  When my OB did them, I bled a lot afterward. When my RE did it, I barely bled.  If they do a good job, you won't have a lot of bleeding.  Ask for some good pain pills.

I am so upset that this is happening.
  • ugh- I'm SO sorry that you have to go through a D&C on top of having another loss- I'm newer over here so I don't know you but hope to in the coming months (not that I wish months of time on here but sometimes I feel like I'll be here forever). My best piece of advice is to not over-do after. We took the weekend following to go to the Cape and spend time together as a couple, it was nice but I think I pushed it too much. Then I went back to work 5 days post d&c (im an emergency room nurse) and had to go out again because it was too soon. Make sure to abide to the nothing in the va-jay-jay for 2 week rule, expect to be gassy- I was having quite a bit of bilateral flank pain a couple of days after and when I called the OB about it they said it was normal because they "pushed things around in there a lot and its the redistribution of free air" or something along those lines- let us know how it goes- good luck-
  • I'm so sorry for your loss and that you have to be back here again. I don't have any D&C advice, as both of mine were natural. Just wanted to send you big hugs.

BFP #1 4/22/10 MC 5/5/10 (6w4d) EDD 12/25/10
    BFP #2 10/19/10 CP 10/27/10 (4w6d) EDD 6/30/11
    BFP #3 5/10/11 Lucas Abelardo born 12/29/11 at 37w3d
    BFP #4 12/10/12 MMC 1/14/13 (9w3d) D&C 1/15/13 EDD 8/16/13 

BFP #5 8/22/13 Lucia Elizabeth born 4/17/14 at 38w

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sending hugs, I'm so sorry. I had my second d&c yesterday, when they removed my left tube. My first one was to remove the placenta from one of my twins that was stuck. So my recovery might be different because I had different procedures done at the same time. Will keep you in my thoughts.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"