Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Crayola's color bubbles

I keep hearing bad things about these bubbles.. too bad I already bought them for the easter basket :(

Including making a huge mess, staining the deck, staining hands, etc.

I am by no means affiliated with this blog - the second link she has in there is pretty good - although I had seen a blog somewhere that showed their kids covered in dye..

https://www.mynameismomma.com/2011/04/thank-goodness-for-honest-reviews.html

Re: Crayola's color bubbles

• Options
    PeskyPesky member
    Oh, man, I'm in the same boat -- I have them for the Easter basket already too.  Maybe I'll save and give to someone else I don't like much.  Wink  

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    I got some for DD a couple weeks ago. She played with them outside with her great grandfather.... NEVER AGAIN. She was covered in red dye (the bubble were supposed to blow out pink) it was all over the place. Hands, feet , clothes... lawn furniture, wash cloths...   Messy messy messy. AND it did NOT wash out like it was supposed to. I've washed the clothes she wore 2xs now and still there. :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That sucks!  Thank you so much for the warning.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so glad I didn't buy these yesterday when I was at the store.  I had a strange feeling about them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have banned these too. Nice idea, bummer that they stain!
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I agree they are really messy.  We met a friend at the pool and he had them.  He covered, me, my kids & the deck in blue.  It was horrible! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CD+ALCD+AL member
    I'm also glad youposted this.  I've been resisting the urge to get some b/c both my DCs are bubble crazy this spring.  Thanks for the warning!

• Options
    Yeah, this is a horrible idea for bubbles.  The TV commercial has a disclosure that it may cause staining.  Honestly, it's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    #6#6 member

Just read the Crayola website about these and apparently they have caught wind of the negative feed back.  At the bottom of the page about the bubbles they have some instructions about all the issues I have heard mentioned.  They suggest soaking clothes in detergent and water for 20mins prior to washing and a 2nd wash may be needed.  They also say not to wear nice clothes and only play clothes....so obviously they arent 100% washable if they are saying this.  

I may still buy them but will know to expect a mess.  A cheap white tshirt and some play shorts would be fun to see how colorful it could get.  Also we will not allow the kids in the house until hosed off.  :)

I think these will be ok understanding how messy they will be.  I do feel for the ones who bought them not knowing this.  I would be mad as well.  

Crayola needs to take the washable part off and change it to semi-washable after a good scrubbing and some soaking.  :)  Also they need to print EXTREMELY MESSY on the front of them.  

• Options
    KGskyKGsky member

Talk about a huge FAIL at DD's bday party.  I didn't think twice about buying these--in fact, I made a special trip to the store to get them.  I didn't read anything, didn't test em out.  Just started blowing them at the party!  What a mess!  My poor DD was clad head to toe in princess regalia, now stained icky bright purple! 

Here's where my story differs. A little water, a paper towel, and it was like it never happened.  Of course, it was three seconds after we saw the stains.  I felt so bad though.  DD was really enjoying the pretty bubbles until they popped all over her light green Tiana princess gown!

On a different note, the bubbles are preeeetty!  I told her we could play with them over the summer, outside, in raggedy clothes. They really should recall these things.  They are not what they pretend to be.  I thought they would just be little lightly colored fun little bubbles, not these super-pigmented, dark staining nightmares. 

• Options
    A freaking mess.  They were in my trash can within 10 minutes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJaimers375:
    Yeah, this is a horrible idea for bubbles.  The TV commercial has a disclosure that it may cause staining.  Honestly, it's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of. 

Yeah, I saw that and decided right away that I wouldn't even bother buying them. Between DH and the girls I have enough stains to treat as it is!

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Options
    KGskyKGsky member

There is a brand of color bubbles that is actually non-staining, called "zubbles."  (Popular science did an article on it, so I'm guessing it was proven).  I ordered a little sample size to test out.  The only thing is, they're hecka expensive!  $4 for 1 oz.  $7 for a 4 oz. bottle.  We'll see.  I like the idea, but they need to perfect the non-staining aspect.  Ours were really pretty, just a mess!

• Options
    I saw them at Target and honestly I don't see the point in colored bubbles.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard they are bad so I have just stayed away from them.  But to the poster in that first blog...why would you let your kid blow bubbles in the house?  Clear bubbles leave a film so what do you think colored bubbles are going to do?  Especially on the carpet!
  • Options

imagePesky:
      Maybe I'll save and give to someone else I don't like much.  Wink  

Thank you for the great laugh when I read this - I have thought about that with some gifts my kids have received and I hate.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    good thing i read this, i was going to by them for my class that i teach!! good to know!
    **~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My mother bought those for my kids about a month and a half ago and wow. What an awful product.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"