Georgia Babies

2nd babies and small parts

When Evie was crawling (putting everything in her mouth) I only had us adults to worry about.  Now that Liam is crawling everywhere he is constantly finding all of Evies small toys and putting them in his mouth.   Today (and mind you its only 10:30) I have fished out a clip on play earring and a small piece of wood, from where I don't know.   

I've told Evie she has to keep her toys put away so Liam doesn't eat the small pieces, but seriously, she's 3.   I am not expecting her to be diligent about this.  I just keep reminding her.   And I am CONSTANTLY scanning the floor.  How I missed a wood chip is beyond me.  

Any tips?  

Re: 2nd babies and small parts

• I had to take away all of Alec's small toys.  They are still hidden because Miss 2 yr old is still putting them in her mouth. Just fished a plastic hot dog out of her mouth the other day (total choking hazard).
  • I'm impressed that you can let Evie have small parts.  Gavin will STILL put everything in his mouth.  He can't be trusted at all!!!  So really, he doesn't have anything that I wouldn't want Sophie to get a hold of.  With my nephew/niece, they pretty much made him keep all that stuff in his room and there was a baby gate on his door to keep her out.  Only baby safe toys were allowed in the main part of the house.  If he wanted to play legos or something like that, he just went to his room and played in there.  We will probably do the same thing. 

• Loading the player...
  • I had a hard time with this too.  My saving grace was that Tess loved, loved, loved her Superyard.  I got way longer use out of that thing that I ever imagined.  It was easy enough to put toys for her in there and keep all the little parts out of it.  As far as the rest of the house I just tried to pick up any small pieces I found and put them in Emma's room and keep the door closed.  Easier for me because Emma was usually at school during the day, not sure how practical that is for you since both of yours are at home. 

• We started putting small toys in ziploc and have asked William to play with it at our dining table so lil sister won't mess with it.

We've been lucky coz William has been really good at remembering and being really mindful of small pieces. This actually really touch me. He wants to have one of those mini beanz toy but I told him, they are soooo lil and rolls around and we cant take chances to have it in the house because Samantha is still lil. So everytime, we go to the store, he says --- When Samantha gets bigger, I can get those. Right now, she's still lil and will swallow it :)

• Kind of like Donna's Ziploc system..our pedi said to keep all toys with small parts together in one container and put it somewhere the baby can't get to it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• imagedonna&ed:

We started putting small toys in ziploc and have asked William to play with it at our dining table so lil sister won't mess with it.

We've been lucky coz William has been really good at remembering and being really mindful of small pieces. This actually really touch me. He wants to have one of those mini beanz toy but I told him, they are soooo lil and rolls around and we cant take chances to have it in the house because Samantha is still lil. So everytime, we go to the store, he says --- When Samantha gets bigger, I can get those. Right now, she's still lil and will swallow it :)

That is so cute!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, I was very fortunate about this.  My boys are 21 months apart so Ethan really didn't start playing with small things until he was much older.  Plus, besides food, the only thing Jack likes to put in his mouth is his thumb.  He was the complete opposite of Ethan, who would put everything in his mouth!!  I've always been cautious to watch Jack, but never really had an issue with him.  Now that he's almost 2 1/2 he's playing with the same toys as Ethan, even toys that have smaller parts now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedonna&ed:

We started putting small toys in ziploc and have asked William to play with it at our dining table so lil sister won't mess with it.

how cute is that!!!  You should hire him out to give big brother lessons!!!

• Kate had her own small toys in her room in a bin/box.  When she decided no more naps she would sit on her bed with the door closed and play with her special little toys!  We have betty spaghetti and that has a ton of small pieces so she kept it in a box and brought it out when Noah was sleeping or kept it in her room.  Kate didn't want her stuff ruined by Noah so I told her to keep it up or Noah will eat it and that was enough for her.  By the time Maggie got here we were rarely home long enough for her to even see the little toys.  She wasn't a put everything in her mouth kinda kid so that helped.
  • see, this is the benefit of having my children 18 months apart, we didn't have any small stuff by the time Riley was born and hell, we really still don't since we knew we wanted a small litter.  anyway, I'm sorry, no advice, but good luck!
  • As I scanned Delilah's toys this morning I had all these same fears.  Delilah LOVES little pieces.  She has never been a kid who put things in her mouth.  She LOVES her Squinkies, and has a nice sized collection.  I suppose I need to start now with rounding up the tiny pieces so by the time the baby comes it won't be an issue.  Sigh.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • None of P's barbies have shoes or jewelry.  If a toy has small parts, the parts go away and she gets the bigger part of the toy.
  • It wasn't an issue with the boys, Jack only recently got smaller stuff and Ethan doesn't put much in his mouth...we've been saying "not in your mouth" for years around here! With Lauren, we already have all the small stuff in rubbermaid boxes, so we can just lock the cabinet they are in or put those boxes in the boys rooms and close the doors when the time comes.
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"