Pre-School and Daycare

If you're ttc 4 (or so) years from now...

are you keeping any baby equipment, toys, clothes, etc.? Most of our stuff is from our first daughter (born in 2007), so I'm thinking that we're not going to keep too much. My mom seemed shocked when I said I was giving most of the baby clothes. She kept most of our equipment between our daughters and I wasn't too thrilled with the condition of them afterwards. What is everyone else doing?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: If you're ttc 4 (or so) years from now...

• My sons are three years apart and we saved everything from the first to use the second time. We never had a problem with anything being unusable or bad condition. We plan on having a third child in 2-3 more years and other than the car seat (which I think are only suppose to be used for 5 years after date of manufacturer), we plan on re-using as much as we can. Purchasing all the baby stuff over again from scratch is an expense we'd rather not have.
    Hawaii
  • I'm trying to figure that out now. We aren't 100% sure we'll have #3 though we aren't concerned with trying to decide yet. My girls are just 2 years apart so all of our gear is in good condition but we are moving soon and are really trying to lighten the load. We're leaning towards selling the big stuff (swing, play mat, bouncy seat, exersaucer) and I have already given away a lot of outgrown clothing. Clothing wise I have only kept my very favorite outfits. If we have a #3 it will be 3 years at the very least from now so I'll be ready for new gear I think since mine will all be 5-6 years old by then.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I will have to buy everything new. I got rid of everything that DD had. I wish I didn't at least with some of the staples but it will be fun to shop for a Baby again .Rather future baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I still have everything from our first son who was born in 2006. The only thing I did was trade in the pack and play for a new one at BRU's Trade-In Event.  I still have everything else ready for #3 in Sept.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • There are 4 years between our daughter and our son, and I will probably sell or donate any gear that we don't destroy this time around.  I really don't think most of it will make it through another trip to storage and another kid.  As for clothing, I would rather sell it before it becomes too outdated and worn out.  Plus, with our troubles conceiving last time, I don't count on a third child, just hope.
  • My children (eeek!) will be 4.5 yrs apart. I saved the crib (DD is still using it as a toddler bed), swing, bouncer seat and stroller. Donated the carseat because it would have expired before I could use it. I saved all her clothes for the first 2 yrs and have given away everything since then (she wears clothes for longer now so they get a lot more worn out), plus it was just too much to store and sort through.

However, I recently went through all the baby clothes and did a serious edit - I didn't like a lot of her baby clothes (ugly gifts that I was too polite not to use) and don't know why I bothered to keep them.

I am thinking of buying a new stroller. Ours is fine, but I've seen a lot of others that I like more.

• We're planning to have our third next year, but if I can ever convince DH to have a fourth, it will be 4-5 years from now. I'll need to replace our infant seat before our next baby, but other than expired car seats, I don't see the need to replace anything. Our big items and even the clothes are still in good condition after two kids. Granted, the irreplaceable battery in the music player on our exersaucer died while DD2 just started using it, but that's so minor that it's not worth buying a whole new one.

If we didn't have the storage room and could easily afford to replace everything, I suppose we'd donate it all, but everything has really held up well enough that I think it would be wasteful to buy everything new.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Very similar to Brightning here!

Emily is 4.5 years old and this baby is due in 6 weeks and I am THRILLED we kept as much as we did as it's all in excellent condition and can be used again. 

Things we kept:

Bassinet & Pack 'n play (purchased new sheeting)

Moby & Ergo

Boppy & nursing cover (purchased new Boppy slipcovers)

Vibrating bouncy chair

Tummy time mat

Glider & ottoman (had it recovered)

Medela Pump In-style breastpump (purchase all replacement parts)

Changing pad (purchased new covers and waterproof pads)

Snap 'n Go stroller frame and Bob jogging stroller with the Chicco infant car seat adaptor

Chicco Keyfit infant car seat (doesn't expire until June 2012)

ExerSaucer & doorway jumper

We sold the swing (it only used batteries and I knew I would want something that plugged into the wall); I consigned all of Emily's outgrown clothes as she grew out of them; and Emily's nursery furniture is "lifetime" furniture that she is using through childhood so, we do have some larger purchases to make to be fully prepared for this baby.  :)

P.S. I just love that your new baby girl is named Emily Claire as is mine!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• We will be getting some new things - we have been TTC#2 for 3 years now -- DD was born in 2007, all of it is still good. We got rid of some things that were donated to us and gently used. I've given some to my brother. I have all her clothing. We have storage over the garage, so its not in the way. I just didnt see the need to buy all new stuff especially since we knew we wanted to expend on our family.

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• DS turned 3 in Feb and I've kept all his stuff.  I have no idea when we'll have another, and the way we're going (financially) it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.  But at least we won't have to buy a ton of new stuff if it ever happens!
  • We kept most everything and are just starting TTC this summer.  I figure there may be some things I decide I want new, but for the most part what we had for my DD worked great, so I figured I would rather keep it in case I want to reuse it. 
    Caroline arrived 6/17/2012
    Courtney arrived 9/16/07
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"