St. Louis Babies

Water birth in IL

I toured Memorial Hospital in Belleville IL the other day and they said they had a birthing tub where you are actually allowed to give birth in, not just sit in until your water breaks. They couldn't show it to me because they said that someone was using it. I was just wondering if anyone has actually had a water birth here and what their experience was.

Re: Water birth in IL

• aetgaetg member

I haven't done this, but I've also toured Memorial and received a pamplet on it.  Your physician has to approve the water birth and you have to be low risk.

I had several questions about it myself as they said that you are constantly being monitored and I didn't see how you would be able to do both (have electronics around your mid-section) and sit in the water.

I am going to look into it personally, but not plan for it since you have to "get it first"  since they only have one tub available.

I'm curious as to your thoughts about Memorial.  I was pretty comfortable with the whole giving birth thing until I went to the hospital and talked with the nurses.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I honestly don't know what I think of Memorial yet but I liked the nurses here better than the ones I talked to at St. Elizabeths. I had a friend deliver here and she had good things to say about the nurses. The couple of nurses I've talked to have seem kind of contradictory when it comes to birthing options. One seemed all about having a natural birth and said that intermittent monitoring would be possible (as long as it's ok with my ob) but another just looked at me like I was crazy and kind of blew it off. I just know that I don't want to go as far as Maryville or Greenville and am not crazy about having to cross the bridge to STL. What are your thoughts?
  • Loading the player...
  • i had a wb with my first 6 years ago in marion, il. you dont get into the tub until you are ready to push. it is a really great experience since i am allergic to pain meds. i want to do it again with this one. you said memorial has a tub now? my ob told me last month they didnt.
  • When I was there for the tour (about a month ago) the nurse said they did. Maybe they got rid of it right after that. I'll have to ask at my next appt in a few weeks.
  • Someone told me yesterday that Gateway in Granite City has one. Don't know anything else about it, though. I'd like to use one, too, ideally. You could always ask around for an underground professional midwife. They're not legal in Illinois (blahblahblah) but they are perfectly legal across the river. You could deliver with a Missouri CPM in a hotel, too, for a water birth.
    Learning about the safest pregnancies: nutritionally balanced and chemical free!
    Miscarried January 2012
    Expecting & Due January 15, 2013 !
    imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • Gateway in Granite City does have a tub--I've delivered in it twice and plan to again this fall.  There is a midwife up there will assist with waterbirths and she is wonderful! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"