August 2011 Moms

24 weeks measuring 27 weeks? How accurate?

Hi everyone,

As a first time mom, this took me a bit by surprise.  I went in for my check up this month and last month they started measuring my belly with the measuring tape.  At my 20 week U/S the  baby was measuring a little bit bigger, but only by 4 days.  They measured my belly this week and she said it was measuring 27 weeks.  I have heard that you could measure bigger, but 3 weeks!?!  Huh?

Then I did a little research and a big baby can be a sign of gestastional diabetes.  I have my Glucose text next visit, what are the chances I have GD?

Any feedback will be much appreciated Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: 24 weeks measuring 27 weeks? How accurate?

• Exact same thing with me! I haven't really looked into it but I was wondering too.

ETA: I found this 

https://www.babycenter.com/0_measuring-large-or-small-for-dates_1453305.bc

What does it mean if I'm "measuring large for dates"?

Measuring large for dates means your fundal height is more than 2 centimeters larger than expected for your stage of pregnancy, based on your due date. Your practitioner will probably schedule an ultrasound to find out why. Among the possible explanations are:

• Your due date is off. (The ultrasound can help your practitioner figure out a more accurate due date.)
    • You have looser abdominal muscles than most women, perhaps as a result of earlier pregnancies.
    • You have uterine fibroids.
    • You're carrying twins or more.
    • You have too much amniotic fluid.
    • Your baby is positioned high above your pelvis, which might be the case with a breech baby or if you have placenta previa.
    • You have a bigger-than-normal baby because of gestational diabetes ? a condition known as macrosomia. You may need to be tested to rule it out.

Or you might simply be carrying a big, perfectly healthy baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It just means that your uterus is higher than average. It does not mean anything about your baby's development. 

The size of your baby is almost completely irrelevant to the size of your belly. You measuring as a larger fundal height is definitely not a sign that you might have GD.

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm measuring 27 weeks, at 24 weeks, but I'm having twins, so this isn't uncommon for me. 

Not sure about the ties to GD -- I just had my GD test today and it was tested via bloodwork after drinking the Glucola orange drink.  If your OB didn't mention anything or seem alarmed by it, I wouldn't worry too much.  Or, if you are concerned, call him/her and ask about it.

Good Luck at your GD test at your next appointment! 

Mr. & Mrs. ~ 09.08.07

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • https://gynob.com/fh.htm 

This site I found has great info on fundal height. Hope it helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DD #1 I measured 2 weeks ahead for fundal height until 36 weeks (measuring 38). Then I stayed at 38 for the rest of the pregnancy. When I was induced at one week after my due date I had a huge baby (9lbs 10oz). I would have thought she would have been smaller than average or average since my measurement was at 38, not 40+ so I don't think that fundal height is really accurate at all.
    I guess I would say that fundal height isn't an indicator of anything really unless it was way over or way under.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It could be that baby had a growth spurt or any other number of things that could cause a larger measurement.  I started measuring large with my second pg.  At one appt, I measured 2 weeks ahead.  At the next, it was 3 weeks ahead.  Then at the next, it was 4 weeks ahead.  They ordered a growth scan at that point.  I had excess fluid, and baby was measuring 9lbs at 36 weeks.  They waited two weeks to induce me (because he was so large), and I had a 10lb baby at 38 weeks.  So in my case, the larger fundal height measurement did coincide with a larger baby.  We (I) believe I had undiagnosed GD.  I tested fine at 28 weeks, but may have developed it at some point after testing.

At this point in your pg, growth is a little more irratic and can go in spurts, so I wouldn't worry just yet.  It's considered normal to measure 2cm larger or smaller than the current week.  Wait until your next appt to see if you're still measuring big or if you're measuring even bigger, and of course, discuss any concerns you have with your doc.  S/he should be able to put your mind at ease or work with you to formulate any necessary plans/treatment options. :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"