Philadelphia Babies

Ob/gyns & hospitals in Philly?

Hi, I'm recently pregnant and live West of the city.  How do I chose a good Dr./hospital?  Is there a rating system out there?  We're willing to go to Byrn Mawr, Lakeneau, and any city hospitals like Penn.  We would appreciate any help!  We just don't know where to start?!?

Re: Ob/gyns & hospitals in Philly?

• I originally was going to the midwives at The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr- but ended up with a last minute c-section at Bryn Mawr Hospital.  I loved the care that I got there.  But I did not see any of the OBGYNs for care, so I can't really give you advice on that.  But the hospital was great.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I would ask anyone you see that has an infant. In my experiance mom's seem willing to tell you the good and bad experiances they had at hospitals...

I delivered at Penns Hospital. It was okay- my practice is good but the L&D floor was just okay. Not at all what I imagined from the "top" baby hospital in philly... Also speaking with people that just had babies there- most really dislike the new laborist system.

I have started asking around and have heard great things about Lakeneau and Abington.GL!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm also looking for recommendations.  I was told upenn is best.  Does anyone have an ob/gyn that the love and delivers at the "right" hospital?
  • I recommend Lankenau wholeheartedly!  I LOVE my ob/gyn practice - McConnell, Peden & Assoc. located right there at the hospital (also have offices at Paoli Hosp. but they only deliver at Lankenau) and the perinatology department.

Also, L&D and PP nurses are awesome there.  I've had 2 c-sections with both of my deliveries - the first one being an emergency and life threatening.  The care I received was wonderful. I wouldn't go anywhere else!

• imagecbrown434:

I would ask anyone you see that has an infant. In my experiance mom's seem willing to tell you the good and bad experiances they had at hospitals...

I delivered at Penns Hospital. It was okay- my practice is good but the L&D floor was just okay. Not at all what I imagined from the "top" baby hospital in philly... Also speaking with people that just had babies there- most really dislike the new laborist system.

I have started asking around and have heard great things about Lakeneau and Abington.GL!

Hello, thanks so much for your reply!  I was actually thinking of delivering at HUP.  Is that where you delivered?   Sounds like it wasn't a good experience.  Can you elaborate why?  Also, I don't know what you mean by the new laborist system?

Thanks again!

• My husband and I work for Penn/HUP but chose Lankenau when we had DS last Spring.  We had heard great things about Lankenau and only average reviews of Pennsylvania Hospital in CC and HUP.  Many people that I talked to felt "rushed" and "crowded" in the HUP system.  We were very happy with our Lankenau experience. I think it is the nursing staff that can make the difference and we were happy with all but one of the many nurses that worked with us. As for obs, I highly recommend Dr. Peden and anyone else at that practice.

• Hello, thanks so much for your reply!  I was actually thinking of delivering at HUP.  Is that where you delivered?   Sounds like it wasn't a good experience.  Can you elaborate why?  Also, I don't know what you mean by the new laborist system?

Thanks again!

• i delivered my second child at HUP (Penn) in april of this year.  the check in process left a lot to be desired.  i wanted to kill the guy behind the desk.  i think there was a homeless person sleeping in the waiting room and that distracted me from the labor pains.  when the extremely slow registration desk guy finished pecking my name into the system i went into another room to wait.  they took me to another triage type room where i was asked questions about spousal abuse.  my husband was not allowed in the room while they questioned me.  neither was my doula.  he eventually was allowed to come in and i waited for my doctor to come.  my husband mentioned that a crack head was rolled into the back while he was waiting for me.  i forgot that we were in the city and a variety of elements come into play.  i was used to suburban hospitals like abington.  the birthing suite was nice and the doctors and nurses were great.  dr. guetze (sp?) the anesthesiologist is excellent.  the food was EXCELLENT.  i went b/c my doctor (that i switched to in my 38th week) delivered there.  she fought for me to have my vbac.  as i was under her care, everyone there had to listen to her.  it was a great experience.  even the maternity ward nurses were great.  very kind.  i never really thought there was a difference between hospitals, but i found that there is...i would deliver at HUP over and over again...make sure your husband brings an inflatable bed if he plans on staying with you.  they have a chair that folds out flat, but it's like sleeping on a hard twin.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"