Multiples

Odd-shaped sacs with twins?

Is it normal for the sacs to be long/bean-shaped with twins?

Had an u/s yesterday (at 8w1d) and my NP didn't act concerned about the shape, I really just thought about it today...I'll probably give my OB a call to ease my mind, but just wondering.

Also, I have one empty sac, but even the sac with the baby is odd-shaped.

TIA

imageimageimageimage

Re: Odd-shaped sacs with twins?

• One of my sacs was bean/peanut shaped, and is a thriving 5 month old today. There's a photo in my pregnancy blog if you go back to April or May of last year. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  This was my 8 week ultrasound picture.  I don't see why the shape of the sac would matter.  It is full of fluid, so it would change shape...

Livian Elizabeth and Alayna Marjorie!  On their way to 3!
    Lilypie - (mtvk)
    Lilypie - (WdLV)
  • Loading the player...
  • My second sono pic is in siggy....both are kinda jelly bean shaped.  I think part of it depends on the view she sonographer is using when the pic is taken.  ....?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks!  Waiting on a call back from my OB, but this helps!!

I'd read online that the sac should be more round (it was with DD; didn't have an early ultrasound with DS).  I read terrible things about irregular-shaped sacs could mean the sac was collapsing and would most likely end in miscarriage.  Since I already have one empty sac that's supposed to be getting reabsored by my body, I was worried about the shape of the sac where I still have a baby.  But I couldn't find info on the shape of sacs when twins are involved.

Thanks again!

imageimageimageimage
  • image3u3:

Thanks!  Waiting on a call back from my OB, but this helps!!

I'd read online that the sac should be more round (it was with DD; didn't have an early ultrasound with DS).  I read terrible things about irregular-shaped sacs could mean the sac was collapsing and would most likely end in miscarriage.  Since I already have one empty sac that's supposed to be getting reabsored by my body, I was worried about the shape of the sac where I still have a baby.  But I couldn't find info on the shape of sacs when twins are involved.

Thanks again!

I know it is easier said than done, but I learned early on not to read the scary stories on the internet.  It is good to know things, but don't take the "what it is supposed to look like" or "when this is supposed to happen" because every pregnancy is different and it will just lead to more worry!   

Livian Elizabeth and Alayna Marjorie!  On their way to 3!
    Lilypie - (mtvk)
    Lilypie - (WdLV)
  • At my ultrasound both sacs were REALLY funny shaped... Almost like a jalapeno pepper.LOL. The ultrasound tech didnt mention a thing to me, nor did the dr. so I'm assuming it is not a problem.
  • I once asked the u/s tech about the sacs during my ultrasound, because one was all long compared to the other.  She said 'yep, it's totally normal, they have to find a way to fit inside the uterus and they'll do so in whatever way they can'.  I never really thought much about it.  I'm sure things are fine.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"