D.C. Area Babies

Sad, whiny post about Molly's party

Molly's party is Saturday. My sis just called me and my 4mo nephew and 4yo niece have RSV. I am so sad about this that they can't come now and while I know I have lots of things to be happy about it and that Molly will still have fun at her party, it just really has me down. Now the only other kid at the party will be my 19mo nephew on DH's side and he has the runs this week so he is even iffy. If there are no kids at her party I will cry and that would mean there would only be like 6 adults there too. I don't even want to think about telling Maggie that 4yo niece will not be here for a sleepover that night because she will probably cry too. Plus I will miss my sister and her husband - I only have one sibling while DH has 3 that will be here.

To make myself feel even more guilty about it there are no other kids coming because we don't have any other friends with kids to invite. Daycare is 25 min away and we don't socialize with the other parents since they live even further than that (and there are only 3 other families, 2 going thru divorces right now, so not really a lot time for socializing with my kids while they have their own problems). I haven't been proactive about making mommy friends and doing any kind of playdates for the kids - we are away a lot of weekends visiting all the out of town family etc so I just haven't been good about making friends for the kids. So now I am even more sad about my own friend situation and that it affects the kids having friends to play with on the weekend. No to mention that just a few kids not coming should even upset me so much. 

I put a bunch of work into the party and things for kids and while the point was for Molly to enjoy it, I really looked forward to having a few other kids around to enjoy it too. On top of that we are supposed to get heavy rain on Sat - no what I had in mind when I planned a rainbow party. So while I wasn't planning outdoor activities, now I need to make sure there is a place for umbrellas and towels in the main entrance and probably do my hair curly so the humidity doesn't wreak havoc with my hair and I don;t even want to think about what my floors will look like after.

I know it is all petty crap but I just feel like Crying I just feel badly for the kids and missing out on the fun (my kids and 4yo niece as my sister is unsure of how to break the news to her either while she is counting down the days to the party) and for myself too Storm

And the amount of chocolate and wine I want right now will not be diet friendly 

Re: Sad, whiny post about Molly's party

• I'm sorry :( I think you have every right to be upset! But I also think Molly will have a great day and that'll make you feel better seeing her so happy!

• Oh dear, sending you a big hug.

And sorry those kiddos have RSV - DS had that and it took a while for him to get over it.

I totally know what you mean about not having friends with kids - we have very few friends with kids and I have only cultivated relationships with two families with kids, and only really have been successful with one of those families.  We call them our "only friends" but really meaning "only friends with kids."  Most of our friends are single or have no children, and most of them don't live in this area.

The rain wreaks havoc on my hair too.

Vent away!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry.  I hate it when plans go awry - especially highly anticipated ones.  I know that I am personally looking forward to your pictures of the party.  You really are an amazing decorator and such a creative individual. 

I don't think you are unusual in you lack of local mommy friends.  Especially since you work full time.  I have to say I am just waiting till my kids hit elementary school to make mine.  A lot of my area friends have children and those will just have to suffice for my children at the moment.  I am sure your children will not just survive the lack of local mommy friends, but will thrive regardless.  

I hope your nephew gets better and can come.  And I know the party will be lots of fun regardless.      

• imageHey Jellisy:

You really are an amazing decorator and such a creative individual. 

Yes
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Thanks for making me feel better guys. 

Artslvr - that's like when DH and I refer to 'being single' but really we mean before kids since we had so much time back then.

HeyJellisy - I am waiting for kindergarten too. Also we really want to move in a year to VA before she starts kindergarten and to be closer to our jobs.

• imagetracy042206:

HeyJellisy - I am waiting for kindergarten too. Also we really want to move in a year to VA before she starts kindergarten and to be closer to our jobs.

Come to our neighborhood, I'll be your friend.  :)

• Aw, it's ok to feel sad and disappointed about this stuff.  {{hugs}}

I was just thinking about what we're going to do for DD's 2nd b-day this fall, realizing that we're not close enough to the other daycare families to invite her "friends" (such as they are at such a young age), and DD doesn't really know the kids of my friends well, so she might only have two or three kids she barely knows at her party.  I'm trying to tell myself that it won't matter, since DD doesn't know yet what parties are like for older kids with lots of friends and games.

Molly will still be able to have fun at a small party, with family who love her and fun things to do.  Rain makes rainbows - you could end up with a fantastic real one if you're lucky!

imageimageimage
  • Its totally Ok to vent about this. We are in a similar situation-- both in family and in friends without kids. I beat myself up over not trying harder to meet other mommy friends, but I really get nervous sometimes! Should I approach strangers in the park? Do I talk with other moms at daycare at drop off or pick up? It feels like dating and even then I waited for others to approach me!

Happy Birthday to your LO! You worked hard and you deserve to enjoy it as much as her! Party!!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageHey Jellisy:
    imagetracy042206:

Come to our neighborhood, I'll be your friend.  :)

or mine!

• That sucks, Tracy. I'm sorry. You put sooo much effort in to your girls' parties that I can totally understand why you'd be bummed that your favorite people can't be there.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Ugh, so sorry, that just all stinks. And I'm right there with you with the lack of friends for my DS too. It didn't seem like a big deal at his first birthday, because that was really more for the adults, ya know? But I'm already wondering if there will be any kids at his second one either. We too are about 30 minutes from daycare and the few mommy friends I have all have kids at least a year or 2 older. Making mommy friends is HARD and I think even harder when working too.

I'm sure she is going to love her rainbows and you guys will have a great day!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"