September 2011 Moms

EBF question/vent

So I plan to ebf I know that sometimes it doesn't work out and I'm definitely willing to be flexible. My problem is that my second mom (best friends mom who acts as my mom because my mom is not great), refuses to acknowledge that it's possible to breast feed and never need formula. She actually said "its a fact of life, get over it" she's normally very supportive but she is definitely one of those people thats very set in her ways and has a very fixed opinion. Whenever I bring up that I plan to pump and freeze for situations where I won't be around she just says "yeah, but you'll still need to supplement with formula". For those of you who have done this before am I wrong to think its possible to ebf?? 

*Remember I know I'll need to be flexible :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: EBF question/vent

• I EBF'ed for 11 months, at which point DS was just too busy to sit and nurse. We switched to whole cow's milk at that point, as per our pedi. I'd have gone the whole first year if DS had wanted to continue. He did not ever have one drop of formula in his life, so yes, its completely possible. Hard work at first, but totally possible.
  • Absolutely not!!

Millions of women exclusively breastfeed without ever giving their child a drop of formula. Pumping and freezing is very common -- breastmilk is good for approximately 3 months in a standard freezer, and 6-12 months if kept in a deep freezer. If you pump regularly in addition to breastfeeding (and remain very conscious about pumping when your LO gets a bottle to replace that feeding), it's actually really easy to build up a freezer supply...and that in turn keeps your supply up overall, further reducing your chances of having to supplement with formula.

Just chalk it up to her being misinformed about the realities of breastfeeding...don't bother arguing with her, just prove her wrong!

FWIW, I EBFed DS until he was about 8 months old, when I experienced a supply drop. We gave him a bottle of formula before bed every night for two months, until he completely rejected the bottle...I started nursing again, and somehow my supply reappeared. We continued nursing until he was 13.5 months old.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I was getting so frustrated with her response. 
  • It didn't work for me. DS just drank to much, but I know a lot of people who have ebf and had no problems with it. All you can do is try and stay positive. It is really hard work,, but once you get the hang of it not to bad. 
  • My child has NEVER even tasted formula. I EBF for a long time. He was 16.5 months when finally weaned. Yes, it is possible.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really appreciate your responses!
  • People like your second mom are really mystifying to me.  How does she think women fed their children prior to the invention of formula?  To your question, no you are not wrong it is totally possible to never need formula.  I breastfed DS for 17 months and he never had a drop of formula.  I worked and also went on dates with DH.  So, yes you can pump and freeze too.  Good luck!
  • My DS got formula initially as my milk was very late coming in.  Once my milk came in he never got formula again.  I nursed him exclusively until he was 5 months old & then introduced solids but I continued to breastfeed him until he was 25 months old. 

It can be done!  I think the reason why a lot of people use formula is a lack of confidence in their nursing abilities & worry that they are not producing enough.  In fact the more that is introduced - formula, rice cereal, other solids actually diminishes your supply as baby is not sucking enough.

• I had a 9oz 9lb baby... By day 4 he had lost almost a pound... My milk came in and he gained like a champ.

I had flat nipples and had to use a nipple shield for 4 months at every.single.feeding.

When DS was 3 months old I needed a LEEP procedure and couldn't nurse for 24 hours from the drugs. He was given pumped breast milk.

At 4 months post partum AF came back and every month I got a dip in supply.. I had to do marathon pumping, take mothers milk plus, etc to keep my supply up.

For 15 months through ups and downs my DS never had a DROP of formula ever. It is very possible ; )
  • imagetlynnus:
    People like your second mom are really mystifying to me.  How does she think women fed their children prior to the invention of formula?  To your question, no you are not wrong it is totally possible to never need formula.  I breastfed DS for 17 months and he never had a drop of formula.  I worked and also went on dates with DH.  So, yes you can pump and freeze too.  Good luck!

This is exactly what i was thinking.  I nannied for a family that EBF and had no issues at all.  She had tons of milk stored up in the freezer. 

It is nice to hear from so many moms who EBF!

• DS got formula at first because he had some issues at birth, but then no more after he was a week old. We nursed until 22 months, but he did have cow's milk sometimes after he was a year old. 
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Yes, human beings would not exist today if women were not capable of sustaining their babies without formula!  You can do it!  Don't let her get your spirits down.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Definitely possible!  DS was EBF and didn't receive any other "milk" for the first 13 months of his life.  And he drank a lot!  At one point (pre solids) he was drinking around 40 oz a day.

Don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible - it can certainly be done.

• Thanks so much everyone it really makes me feel so much better. I knew I wasn't wrong but its nice to have some reassurance. It was very discouraging to have someone close to me so adamantly against my plans. 
  • It's entirely possible.  I have a girlfriend who EBF'd her twins from birth (NICU for 4 weeks each) until they were 10 months old--then she supplemented with her freezer stash for the next month and started them on whole milk at 11 months.  (By EBF I mean primarily pumped and did a combo of BF/bottle feeding with BM at home). She's a working mom who also had a 2-year old at home.  So if she can do it, anyone with the right support system in place should be able to do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • I'm late to the thread but here are my two cents. I BF my son for 25 months. He has never tasted formula. I did the standard route of EBF for 6 months, start introducing solids then, introduced cow milk at 1 year (he never liked it much). My sister and SIL both BF for over 2 years and never introduced formula. And my SIL had to go back to work full time 4 months after baby's birth so she was pumping a lot. There is definitely a way!!!! Good luck.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"