D.C. Area Babies

why won't DS say Mommy

My DS says Dada, and acknowledges daddy all the time.  When I ask him who mommy is, he either doesn't know or won't say.  He says cat and points to our cat, same thing with dogs, bottles and books.  Should I be worried?  I feel like maybe I have been working too much and he doesn't really know who I am.  Maybe I am being irrational and oversensitive, but I want him to know who I am.

Re: why won't DS say Mommy

• DD was the same way. She said Dada and "dog" for months before saying Mamma. She also had other words like "all done", "uh oh", etc. before saying mamma. It was disheartening but I think M's can be harder for some children to say. I would say not to worry - he will come around and then you will hear mamma constantly for the next 17 years+.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagevtkendra:

DD was the same way. She said Dada and "dog" for months before saying Mamma. She also had other words like "all done", "uh oh", etc. before saying mamma. It was disheartening but I think M's can be harder for some children to say. I would say not to worry - he will come around and then you will hear mamma constantly for the next 17 years+.

Ditto this! C had a bunch of words before Mama. He took his sweet time saying it. 

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • J knows it but doesn't always use it properly . . . for a while he would call us both Dada, and even point at pictures of DH and me and call us both Dada. Now he calls both of us Mama - which is progress, I guess? At least he identifies us the right way in pictures.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• DD was definitely past her 1st birthday before she'd say Mom (and it's usually Mom, though I call myself Mama to her).  I wouldn't worry about it - he definitely knows who you are.
    imageimageimage
  • uh, yeah...for every 100 "dadas" I was lucky to get one "mama"...this went on for at least a couple months. and it sucked. I definitely know how you feel!

just remember that physically, "dada" is easier for babies to say. and as you can see from the previous responses, it's very common for babies to hold off on saying mama. it's not because you have been working more or because he likes his daddy better or anything like that, I promise!!

• the only time DS says Momma is when DH is holding him and asks who I am...to everyone else I am also Dadda...Ive gotten used to it at this point
  • I believe in Georgian (like, the country, not the state) dada (sp?) means "mother."

Perhaps your baby speaks Georgian!   Big Smile

• thank you so much for the responses!  I feel much better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"