D.C. Area Babies

Pumping clothes/bras

More questions!

I've been living in nursing tanks and sleeping nursing bras.  Neither of these are really work-appropriate with minimal support and zero padding.  What nursing bras do you wear to work?

Aside from oxfords, what type of shirts do you wear for easy access when pumping?

Any tips where to get these things at a decent price would be super helpful too.  Smile

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping clothes/bras

• I wear nursing bras to work b/c I usually nurse in the mornings before I leave. I pump in a hands-free bra, so I could theoretically wear a regular bra during the day and then put on a nursing bra when I get home, but I am pretty sure none of my pre-pg bras would fit! I take off whatever shirt I'm wearing, then the bra, put on my hands-free bra, put shirt back on (so I'm not cold) and pump and then do the reverse. So I wear all regular shirts.  And the nursing bras work well. Bravado is a really good (but expensive) name. You can buy the hands-free bra on amazon.
  • I recommend getting a hands-free pumping bra or making your own (there are DIY instructions on-line about how to make a hands-free bra using a sports bra or rubber bands).

I bought regular nursing bras (with underwire and light padding) from Target's website. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on them. I ordered 4 different kinds, tried them on, and kept the two that I liked (one black and one white). I've also heard good things about Bravado nursing bras, but they're much more expensive.

I just wear regular shirts and pull them up. I have a private office, but I cover up with a lightweight blanket because I feel less weird that way.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I wear Anita bras daily (but I am well endowed, you may not need something as supportive).  I also wear anything that fits to work.  Pumping is (hopefully) private so I just lift up my shirt or dress.

• I would just wear Target nursing bras to work. 

Regular shirts were fine for me--I'd just take it off.  I would be wary of wearing a dress that zips up the side or back.  I forgot one day, and while I am comfortable sitting topless at my desk, it was a totally other thing to be down to my underwear.

• I wore Target nursing tanks under almost all of  my shirts. The worked with my pump really well and I could basically pump hands-free just by sticking the shields in and pulling the top of the shirt back up. If you need a ton of support, they may not be for you but I just wore them with nursing pads. For days when I didn't wear them, I used a regular nursing bra plus DIY hands-free device (aka linked rubber bands).
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I've also been living in Target nursing tanks, so this is great to read. I've bought a couple of nursing bras - some that are sports bra-like and two that are like a regular bra. I am a bit worried about the bras. I probably should wear underwire bras (I'm currently a DD), but I want to avoid clogged ducts and know that underwires can cause problems.

The only wardrobe change I'll make is that I probably won't wear any non-wrap or non-button front dresses to work -- I just don't feel comfortable taking everything off.I will be pumping in a lactation room as I don't have a private office and while it will theoretically be private, there are two other pumping moms at my office and I can foresee situations where we might overlap time. 

• I wore regular bras to work and always a two piece outfit (shirt and pants or shirt and skirt) so I could just lift up my shirt and my bra to pump.  I stayed away from dresses altogether (not hard for me, I don't own a lot of dresses).

Like pp's I highly recommend a hands-free pumping bra.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • imageladywalton:

Aside from oxfords, what type of shirts do you wear for easy access when pumping?

Just remember that any shirt gives you easy access when pumping.  Just lift the shirt up.  Voila!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • imageArtslvr:

I wore regular bras to work and always a two piece outfit (shirt and pants or shirt and skirt) so I could just lift up my shirt and my bra to pump.  I stayed away from dresses altogether (not hard for me, I don't own a lot of dresses).

Like pp's I highly recommend a hands-free pumping bra.

I never used the hands-free, because I had supply issues and was massaging anyway so it seemed kind of pointless (?).

But ditto Artslvr on clothes - I would just pull up whatever shirt I was wearing, open up my nursing bra, and stick the pump on. You don't need a button down shirt as long as your shirts won't get stretched out.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• imageArtslvr:
    imageladywalton:

Just remember that any shirt gives you easy access when pumping.  Just lift the shirt up.  Voila!

Yep - just lift up whatever shirt you have on. No need to completely disrobe to pump at work! Or to limit yourself to button shirts. I had to pump in a shared office so I used a nursing cover when I pumped. It worked well. Also, I used Bravado nursing bras (found the best price at breakoutbras.com) - I liked them better than my Target ones because they camoflaged breast pads. I felt like you could see breast pads right through my shirt and Target nursing bras - no good! Then on top of my nursing bra, but under my shirt I'd wear a cami with stretchy straps (I did this all the time while NIP) so that I could pull my shirt up and the cami down and have boob access without having my stomach hanging out. Nothing but boob was exposed!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you were well endowed pre-pregnancy, and probably even more so now that you're nursing, I can't recommend Target for out of the house wear. I lived in the Target tanks at home but the support was awful. Invest in 2 really good nursing bras (I do recommend Bravado, pricey but you can often find a good sale). Better to have 2 decent bras than 8 flimsy ones. I didn't have a hands free one myself, since I was doing massage to stimulate production, but many people swear by those. And ditto PP - I just made sure to wear 2 piece outfits to work and would lift up my shirt.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"