D.C. Area Babies

How do your dress your LO for daycare in the summer?

On really hot days, do you dress you LO in shorts or light cotton pants? I'm asking because I don't really have any summer clothes for DD and I'm not sure what I should focus on buying. Last year they didn't spend much time outside since she was younger so I always put her in light cotton pants. However, at her new daycare, I know they go outside a few times a day when it's nice. I know that outside, she would be more comfortable in shorts but I worry about her being cold inside with the air conditioning. I also worry that if she falls on the playground, that she may get more scraped up wearing shorts. Anyway, just wondering what others do.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How do your dress your LO for daycare in the summer?

• I definitely did shorts with DD#1 and will probably do the same with DD#2 this summer, but you could always split the difference and put pants on in the morning and pack shorts so that they can change her if she seems too hot.

Also, if you haven't looked into this already--I highly recommend going on ebay and finding lots of summer clothes.  Clothes always get trashed at daycare and I hate spending a lot of money and then worrying about what is going to happen to them.  When DD#1 was about the age of your DD, I found tons of lots of summer clothes for sale a very reasonable prices and I spent just under $100 and got tons of basic shorts and shirts that worked for the whole spring and summer.

• Last year we had mostly rompers or dresses for DD.  This year I bought her shorts or skorts since she's more active.  She tends to run warm, and DCP's house isn't super cold that I've noticed. 

For your DD's situation, I would send a sweater with her in case she gets cold inside but keep her in shorts so she's comfy outside.  She might fall on the playground and occasionally be protected by the pants, but she will definitely be super hot all the times she's outside and doesn't end up hurting herself.

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm curious about this, too. J was so little last summer that he was mostly in onesies/rompers and wasn't walking so didn't even wear shoes much.

Speaking of - what about shoes, too? Do you have sandals for your LOs or do you still send in regular socks/shoes?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagetomandcourt:

what about shoes, too? Do you have sandals for your LOs or do you still send in regular socks/shoes?

DCP has a sign up in the room that says no sandals, don't want the kids feet to get hurt out on playground....

• imageamh_navyblue:

I definitely did shorts with DD#1 and will probably do the same with DD#2 this summer, but you could always split the difference and put pants on in the morning and pack shorts so that they can change her if she seems too hot.

Also, if you haven't looked into this already--I highly recommend going on ebay and finding lots of summer clothes.  Clothes always get trashed at daycare and I hate spending a lot of money and then worrying about what is going to happen to them.  When DD#1 was about the age of your DD, I found tons of lots of summer clothes for sale a very reasonable prices and I spent just under $100 and got tons of basic shorts and shirts that worked for the whole spring and summer.

Thanks for the tip about eBay. I'll check that out. I actually get a lot of DD's clothes at Unique Thrift store...speaking of which they have a 50% off day this Wednesday. I definitely don't invest much in daycare clothes because they get so messed up. However, I haven't ever bought them off eBay so I will look there.
  • our DCP asks that all kids wear closed-toed shoes. The room is kept at (I believe) 74F so summer clothes for us. Plus, they run around all day long, even inside. We are at a center and they don't change clothes (unless they are dirty), so we can't send her in pants and then ask them to put on shorts. We can send her in a t-shirt and a shirt over it and ask them to remove the outer layer though.

We also have a water day once a week where the kids come in w/ sunscreen and in bathing suit and swim diaper and splash around in the morning and then they all change. This starts once it's really really hot.

• imagetomandcourt:

I'm curious about this, too. J was so little last summer that he was mostly in onesies/rompers and wasn't walking so didn't even wear shoes much.

Speaking of - what about shoes, too? Do you have sandals for your LOs or do you still send in regular socks/shoes?

For shoes, I will definitely always put her in tennis shoes. Our DCP requires them to be barefoot indoors so they really only wear their shoes outside. I'm thinking the tennis shoes will offer more protection.
  • imageQueSrah:

Last year we had mostly rompers or dresses for DD.  This year I bought her shorts or skorts since she's more active.  She tends to run warm, and DCP's house isn't super cold that I've noticed. 

For your DD's situation, I would send a sweater with her in case she gets cold inside but keep her in shorts so she's comfy outside.  She might fall on the playground and occasionally be protected by the pants, but she will definitely be super hot all the times she's outside and doesn't end up hurting herself.

Good idea about the sweater. I will put one in her cubby so she always has one. Also good point about the shorts. I guess once it starts getting really consistently hot I'll do the shorts. I suppose scratching up your knee occasionally is just part of growing up.
  • imagevtkendra:
    imageamh_navyblue:

I definitely did shorts with DD#1 and will probably do the same with DD#2 this summer, but you could always split the difference and put pants on in the morning and pack shorts so that they can change her if she seems too hot.

Thanks for the tip about eBay. I'll check that out. I actually get a lot of DD's clothes at Unique Thrift store...speaking of which they have a 50% off day this Wednesday. I definitely don't invest much in daycare clothes because they get so messed up. However, I haven't ever bought them off eBay so I will look there.

I don't have any advice, but is this the place at Randolph and Veirs Mill?? How do you like it? Do they have a good selection? I've always wondered about it but never been inside.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagezerf77:

I don't have any advice, but is this the place at Randolph and Veirs Mill?? How do you like it? Do they have a good selection? I've always wondered about it but never been inside.

Yes, that's the place. I LOVE that store. They are a tad bit higher priced than other thrift stores but what I like is that they have a huge selection and it's also very well organized so you can find what you are looking for. On Mondays, everything is 25% off. If you get their free loyalty card (there's a computer in the store where you sign up), you can also get 25% off on Thursdays. Then periodically, they have their 50% off everything sale days which they will email you about. There's a 50% off day this Wednesday. I've gotten tons of stuff for DD there - winter coats, snow suits, clothes, toys, books, etc. It's not like I can go in there and get a whole wardrobe for DD but each time I go, I find a few articles of clothing that will work for her. If you go this Wednesday, just be aware that the 50% off days are much more crowded. Also, they have a "Bazar" section where they have vendors selling things. Don't even bother going over there, just stay in the main thrift store area.

• imagevtkendra:
    imagezerf77:

Yes, that's the place. I LOVE that store. They are a tad bit higher priced than other thrift stores but what I like is that they have a huge selection and it's also very well organized so you can find what you are looking for. On Mondays, everything is 25% off. If you get their free loyalty card (there's a computer in the store where you sign up), you can also get 25% off on Thursdays. Then periodically, they have their 50% off everything sale days which they will email you about. There's a 50% off day this Wednesday. I've gotten tons of stuff for DD there - winter coats, snow suits, clothes, toys, books, etc. It's not like I can go in there and get a whole wardrobe for DD but each time I go, I find a few articles of clothing that will work for her. If you go this Wednesday, just be aware that the 50% off days are much more crowded. Also, they have a "Bazar" section where they have vendors selling things. Don't even bother going over there, just stay in the main thrift store area.

I haven't been there yet, but there is also one in Merrifield.  It's on Gallows Road between Route 50 and Lee Highway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There's also one on New Hampshire, right by the Beltway exit. I've actually bought C a lot of clothes (very often with the tags still on) there. I was just at Marshalls and stocked up on some Carter's outfits that I think will be perfect for summer - little shorts sets with pull over sweatshirts. They're in basic colors so you can mix and match pretty easily. C runs cold, so he'll probably still wear pants pretty often and will always have a sweater or sweatshirt to wear.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Last summer Warner wore shorts and t-shirts or polo shirts pretty much everyday. I love Old Navy's khaki cargo shorts...had quite a few pairs of them. Also, I always had him wear sneakers and socks. He never really liked the sandals that I bought him last summer and would take them off :-(

He used to fall down a LOT and he did get minor scrapes and lots of bruises, but I figure that's just part of being a kid. 

• Thanks ladies! I'll be looking out for deals on shorts then. I already got some cute shirts and light cotton pants at Kohls for spring so now I just need to get some shorts and some more shirts.
  • Kendra, Old Navy has knit shorts right now that are $5 if you buy 2 or more. And they have a coupon to take 25% off of your entire order. I'm stocking up for Warner :-)
  • If you don't find what you need at Unique Thrift, definitely check out Kohls. I hit up a huge sale a few weeks ago and got DS 5 pair of shorts and like 8 tshirts for $50!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagebh2720:
    Kendra, Old Navy has knit shorts right now that are $5 if you buy 2 or more. And they have a coupon to take 25% off of your entire order. I'm stocking up for Warner :-)
    Thank you. I need to try and get over there on my lunch break this week.
  • imagevtmezzo:
    If you don't find what you need at Unique Thrift, definitely check out Kohls. I hit up a huge sale a few weeks ago and got DS 5 pair of shorts and like 8 tshirts for $50!

Yes, I love Kohls too. I got a few mix-n-match starter items for DD there with our 30% off coupon a few weeks ago. I will keep an eye out there as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"