October 2011 Moms

Any one else hate the smell of their dishwasher?

Strange symptom... the dishwasher makes the whole house smell like chlorine for days. It kills me. Even airing the place out doesn't seem to help. Gotta love pregnancy, huh?Stick out tongue
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view

Re: Any one else hate the smell of their dishwasher?

• OMG, so funny you posted this! I've been complaining to DH for weeks that I can't handle the smell of the dishwasher and he thought I was crazy. Now I know I'm not the only one!  I think it's the detergent we use (Cascade) so I'm going to see if I can find something a bit more natural and scent free. 
  • imagePitaBread:
    OMG, so funny you posted this! I've been complaining to DH for weeks that I can't handle the smell of the dishwasher and he thought I was crazy. Now I know I'm not the only one!  I think it's the detergent we use (Cascade) so I'm going to see if I can find something a bit more natural and scent free. 

If you find the magic detergent, do share! I'll be on the lookout for some sort of chlorine-free/scent-free detergent myself. I'll share if I come across it, too. I'm glad I'm not alone, too. lol :)

Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
  • Loading the player...
  • oh me! it's not the chlorine smell, it's the dirty water/food steam smell that gets to me....man, if I didn't stay away I would for sure hurl!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imageJoy and Shane:
    oh me! it's not the chlorine smell, it's the dirty water/food steam smell that gets to me....man, if I didn't stay away I would for sure hurl!

I can't stand the smell of dishes, either. My hubby hasn't been a whole lot of help in that department... some help, but not enough. I've turned to the eco-friendly paper plate alternative. I'll make it up by recycling everything else. ;) So far it has helped some... at least with the amount of loads of dishes that needs to be done each week.

• Target used to sell "method" brand and it was natural no chlorine smell but im not sure if they still do. Might be worth a shot for you ladies:)
  • Thank you! :)
  • I thought our dishwasher was messed up. Haha. I can't believe it's another pregnancy thing. To me it smells like wet dog!! Its really awful. I havent emptied the dishwasher in 3 days because of it. Glad im not the only one!
  • imagedadonet:
    Target used to sell "method" brand and it was natural no chlorine smell but im not sure if they still do. Might be worth a shot for you ladies:)

DH does 90% of the dishes in this house, so he chooses the detergent. We did try Method, as well as several brands from Whole Foods in the past, and they didn't clean well at all. We had to scrub dishes after they came out of the dishwasher, so that was no fun!  Of course, I can't remember if they smelled or not because that stuff didn't bother me then!  So I guess what I need to find is one that's natural and cleans the dishes.   

• I make my DH do the dishes now. It never fails I get sick every time!!
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • Ugh!  Mine smells too.  Not from the cleaner, but the dirty dish smell & no matter how often it's run.  Also, we have a mud room where our dogs sleep & I swear it smells like the pass gas in there all day but no one else seems to notice
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"