Northern California Babies
Options

Food allergy and sibling ?

What do you do when one kiddo is allergic to things and one isn't?

My older DD is allergic to milk, peanuts and walnuts. My second DD isn't showing any symptoms of being allergic (1st DD had a lot of eczema). I know that we will be a nut free house, but what should I do about milk.

My plan was to at least for the beginning to offer second DD yogurt and give 1st DD coconut milk yogurt. Is there another suggestion? and what would you do about milk?

Thanks! 

Re: Food allergy and sibling ?

• Options

I'm not sure what I'd do. But I would be really cautious about watching the girls at all mealtimes if DD2 is eating a type of food/drink that DD1 can't have. Will DD1 want some of what her sister is having because it's different? Is DD1 able to get her own food out of the fridge (or thinking ahead, will she do this?)? Will she potentially grab milk/yogurt that isn't okay for her to eat?

I would probably try dairy with DD2, but just be super-vigilant about it. That's tough.

My DS is allergic to dairy, but we haven't cut it completely out of our diets. It's hard sometimes when he really wants something that has cheese or butter in it and we can't give it to him. I haven't even thought about the implications of this with a 2nd LO...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ours is the reverse.  My youngest is allergic to milk and eggs but no allergies with my oldest.  Fortunately my oldest understands who's milk is who's etc.  For son we have to tell him do not drink her milk or you can't have ice cream etc.  I've bought soy yogurt and ice cream for him so he can enjoy the treats.  And my oldest knows not to share her food with him.  

It being your oldest, she may understand that she has to have separate foods because of the allergy.  

Our fridge has 3 types of milk, one for me (I have a milk allergy), one for DD and one for DS.  Hasn't been an issue in our household at all.  I've also just started cooking our meals that typically has milk in it with soy instead and we all eat it.  

Hope this answers your questions. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are not a gluten free house. JLK has celiacs and even a crumb can make her sick. We have doubles of things and write her name on them. Its a pain sometimes but we deal fine. She knows she cant have the same as her brother...I figure in school/friends houses...just life in general I cant always shield her...so i am trying to prepare her the best I can for coping
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

If it were me, I would have the whole house on the same diet until the kids are older to know not to share, and to express their desires.

But my food allergies come with an epipen, and meal planning makes me tired, so...take that as you will.

good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have thought about this alot ( not knowing what Jasper is allergic too yet ). Cam is allergic to mildly; dairy, soy, egg and nuts.  Therefore in our house Dh, Cam and I all only have rice milk, sunflower butter, and Cam has egg yolks and dh and I have regular eggs.

Since Dh and I have adapted we will continue to eat this way until Cam outgrows it or doesn't. Jasper has super sensitive skin so I'm assuming he will have some allergies also. Since it wasn't tough for dh and I to adapt we will just have Jasper adapt ( he will not know anything else just like Cam ).

Cam has goat yogurt, regular cow cheese, almond milk or rice milk, sorbet, and egg yokes. 

Its so tough to decide what to do, you will know what is right for your family !

• Options

Thanks so much guys for all of your suggestions!!! I have a lot of thinking to do how it's best. My first DD can eat cheese but not yogurt and milk, so we know if she were to ingest something it would most likely result in hives vs. a full on anaphylactic reaction but at the same time I would like to avoid that.

I hope we outgrow these allergies soon!! Seriously food allergies suck!!

• Options
    bunchbunch member

My niece (almost 9) has nut allergies and had some milk issues, but has outgrown the lactose intolerance.  However, she still prefers soy milk, so that's what she drinks.  And the house is not nut-free- my brother (her dad) is a peanut butter freak.  Her food is shelved differently and she is really good about double checking with any adult around.  We do cook different desserts or a modified (smaller) version of recipes for her.  But she has just grown up understanding that her needs are a little different and she's working around them. 

Maybe slightly because of that, her best friend is a vegetarian.  At 5, realized that chicken was "from" a chicken and has never eaten meat.  Her parents are not vegetarian, and so they just modify smaller portions of their meals.  I think the girls have found some commonality in their food modifications and the adjustments both families have made to the girls.  Plus, they are both fabulous!

With my niece, its also a hives/eczema reaction, not anaphylactic (though we do have epi's just in case) I'm sure that if the allergies were more sever, we might be more militant about it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"