Northern California Babies

beaches and water temp

So, this is our first summer here. I'm like super close to half moon bay and envisioned daily trips to the beach. A friend told me H would need a wetsuit to get in the water. this mamma sure isn't wearing a wetsuit, but I'll get him one if it's really that cold.

So give it to me straight, is it too cold 'up here' for just wearing his shorts and shirt? 

What about Sata Cruz? 

I'm from the east coast and you just go in the water!

thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: beaches and water temp

• Every time we take a little vacation to HMB, the surfers are always in wet suits---no matter what time of year we go.  So I am guessing that he'd want that if he was planning on surfing or swimming in the ocean.  I found this online:  https://www.active.com/actionsports/Articles/No_Excuses__Wetsuits_Keep_You_in_the_Water_Year-Round.htm
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • duplicate post. sorry

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Well... you probably won't go swimming in the water. It's really cold but there's no problem with kids splashing in it and then warming back up in the sun (on the sand). Just resist the urge to play at river mouths (where the river meets the ocean). Yeah, the water is warmer but after the flooding for the winter, chances are that the water is polluted with sewage. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'm a scuba diver and I wouldn't dive off our coast without a DRY suit on, no matter what time of year.

For H, I'd probably have him try it a few times -- kids seem to deal better with extreme temps than we do. If it's warm out he might do better than if it's windy (the coast can be cool at times... we're not LA, yo).

• I grew up in Montara (few miles north of HMB). We never went in the water, it was always too cold. Also, it is usually very foggy in HMB in the summer. The sunny season is late august through September. If you are looking for a beach to play in the water, I would head south toward santa cruz area. Its usually warmer. HMB can still be fun without getting in the water though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It's chilly.  Even the air temp in the warmest month (September) is only about 65 degrees (average) and the water is about 60.  When I've been, it's also been windy so I've worn a jacket.  It's not exactly swimming weather to me.
  • bah. this is a big move to california fail!

Thanks gals. I'm going to go wallow in sadness now. 

• I grew up in Half Moon Bay and I very rarely went to the beach because the water is just way too cold.  All the people I knew that surfed always wore a wetsuit.
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • imagefjaril:

bah. this is a big move to california fail!

Yes, it is. To be honest, I haven't found any CA beach water to be warm like I would like... even down in Southern California. I'm used to Black Sea water that's notably warmer. Pacific can be tolerable, but yes, it's pretty frikkin' cold.

Time to join a pool?

BTW, Kings Swim Academy (on the Belmont/San Mateo border) has open swims on Saturday afternoons. You only need to be a member to go, and it's $2/swimmer. G takes classes there too, but I'm thrilled about the regular open swims now too. I signed S2 up just so I can take him on week-ends. Oh, and the water is 92 degrees :)

• imageAvaLikeLava:
    imagefjaril:

bah. this is a big move to california fail!

Yes, it is. To be honest, I haven't found any CA beach water to be warm like I would like... even down in Southern California. I'm used to Black Sea water that's notably warmer. Pacific can be tolerable, but yes, it's pretty frikkin' cold.

Time to join a pool?

BTW, Kings Swim Academy (on the Belmont/San Mateo border) has open swims on Saturday afternoons. You only need to be a member to go, and it's $2/swimmer. G takes classes there too, but I'm thrilled about the regular open swims now too. I signed S2 up just so I can take him on week-ends. Oh, and the water is 92 degrees :)

thanks for the pool tips. I've been looking at finding a swim place. 

I don't mind colder water, so long as it is warmish out :) We will have to go test it out.

• I will go against the grain here and say, yes, you can go to the beach and go in the water. 

I fondly remember many many summers spent at the beach in Santa Cruz and Capitola.  Yes, the water is cold, but, as a kid, you don't care!

We went to San Diego last summer and it didn't get above 68 degrees outside, but that didn't stop my kids of playing in the ocean.

Have fun!!

• image2bearichards:

I will go against the grain here and say, yes, you can go to the beach and go in the water. 

I fondly remember many many summers spent at the beach in Santa Cruz and Capitola.  Yes, the water is cold, but, as a kid, you don't care!

We went to San Diego last summer and it didn't get above 68 degrees outside, but that didn't stop my kids of playing in the ocean.

Have fun!!

*smooches and huggles to you*

• image2bearichards:

I will go against the grain here and say, yes, you can go to the beach and go in the water. 

Have fun!!

LOL -Maybe it's b/c I'm also a native Californian/Bay Arean but, yeah, we went in all the time.  The water was cold but then you warm up on the sand and who cares anyway?  You're a kid!  You're not a real California Kid until you've stood up to your waist in water shivering while your parents tell you it's time to get out of the water and you protest the whole time, "But I'm not cold! I'm fine!" -blue lips as evidence to the contrary.  ;) 

• I'm from the east coast too & have only gotten to my knee at the beach here its just way to cold!! 

im use to be able to play in the water for hrs. 

• image2bearichards:

Have fun!!

I was going to say the same thing! We used to visit Capitola a lot during the summer and spent hours in the water. I guess kids have tougher skin because I can barely get into water now without feeling miserable.

DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• imageMrs_Shmoopie:
    image2bearichards:

Have fun!!

LOL -Maybe it's b/c I'm also a native Californian/Bay Arean but, yeah, we went in all the time.  The water was cold but then you warm up on the sand and who cares anyway?  You're a kid!  You're not a real California Kid until you've stood up to your waist in water shivering while your parents tell you it's time to get out of the water and you protest the whole time, "But I'm not cold! I'm fine!" -blue lips as evidence to the contrary.  ;) 

Um, yes, it's what makes us hardy.  ;)  I grew up in the south bay and spent my beach time on the Monterey Bay. I wasn't picky.  And most beaches there are coolish to cold, with Santa Cruz/ Capitola being the only normal exceptions.  A trip to the beach meant shivering in the water.  And liking it! ;)

All the beach trips of my childhood ended with a rinse off in the beach shower and sweatshirts for the ride home.

• I grew up in Santa Cruz and basically spent more time in the water than not at times. We would even go for morning surf trips before school in January. That required a wetsuit!

Summer water is fine. You really don?t need a wetsuit. It is cold to begin with ? but you get used to it. After a few minutes, it feels great!

Have a great time! I love the water!!!!!

• awesome gals! I love swimming and playing in water and I think H does too. So I'm super excited to see what he thinks.

We've spent summers in Sweden and bathing in the water there. I figured it can't be that bad here :p

• It's freezing. full stop. all of you "hardy" people are insane. I say this lovingly, of course. ;-)

• imagefutrkingsley:
    imageMrs_Shmoopie:
    image2bearichards:

Have fun!!

Um, yes, it's what makes us hardy.  ;)  I grew up in the south bay and spent my beach time on the Monterey Bay. I wasn't picky.  And most beaches there are coolish to cold, with Santa Cruz/ Capitola being the only normal exceptions.  A trip to the beach meant shivering in the water.  And liking it! ;)

All the beach trips of my childhood ended with a rinse off in the beach shower and sweatshirts for the ride home.

I'm in the North Bay but it's the same story up here - that's why when it's really hot we head for the beach! The temps are nice and the water is cold but we really don't know any different!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"