South Jersey Babies

Virtua vs. Kennedy in washington twp/sewell area

Anyone have any feedback/success stories/horror stories about delivering at the new virtua hospital or the kennedy hospital in south jersey/sewell area? i need to do some research and weigh the pro/cons of which is better.

Re: Virtua vs. Kennedy in washington twp/sewell area

• I just had my baby at Kennedy and it was a really good experience.  I had a c-section, so I was only on labor and delivery for an hour, but the entire nursing staff that worked with me was amazing.  I didn't want or need for anything.
  • You wouldn't deliver at Virtua in Washington township, that's just an Immediate care center and doctor offices and the gym. You would deliver in Voorhees, which I did. I have no complaints about it what so ever. All the nurses were awesome. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mrs1Mrs1 member
    I had to make the same decision. Kennedy is literally 5 minutes from my house, but I chose to go with Virtua Voorhees. I know people who have delivered at both and had positive experiences at both. The doctor I chose delivers at Virtua and I really like them so that is how I made my decision.
  • i just had to do the same thing..I'm going with virtua in voorhees because I've heard good things (a friend of mine delivered there) and when its time for me to deliver the new hospital on rt.73 will be open and the maturity ward is all PRIVATE rooms! Thats important to me.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered twice at Kennedy -- #3 will be in May/June. I even switched OBs this time around because my previous practice deals exclusively w/Virtua now and I wanted to go back to Kennedy.

I loved Kennedy. They are in the procecess of renovating all the L&D suites (I was in a new one yesterday because I was having contractions and it was so nice -- they are HUGE!) and all of their post-delivery rooms are private. The post-delivery rooms were renovated in 2006 I believe.

The new Virtua is supposed to be really nice, but you won't know yet because it isn't open. They should have it open at the end of May. Personally, I considered trying it because it's brand new, but then realized that I didn't want to be a guinea pig. I would rather give them a year or so to get used to a brand new facility.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either, but Kennedy was the best fit for me.

GL!

• i didn't realize this...thanks!
  • I'm glad to hear your c-section went well. i'm pregnant with twins and have been told the c-section rate is very high--which i'm pretty disappointed about, but, of course, want to deliver however is best for babies. I'd just really prefer natural birth with no meds!
  • I delivered my son at Virtua, and I will deliver my daughter in a couple of weeks at Virtua as well.  I am actually going to be right in the middle of the whole old/new hospital process, as my C is scheduled for May 19th and the new hospital opens on May 22nd.

Unlike a PP, I wont feel like a guinea pig.  I feel that they are going to be so cautious, and over the top prepared... no way are they going to risk any lawsuits.

BUT.. the main reason that I would only deliver at Virtua... It's the only Level 1 NICU in the area...

• It's not one of the places you mentioned, but after touring Kennedy, I chose Underwood in Woodbury.  I liked the emphasis on breast feeding, the security, the simplicity of the maternity unit, the lactation consultants, the warmth of all the staff, everything.  I also liked that they are all HUGE single rooms and they have actual beds for partner/coach.  They have refrigerators and microwaves for patients, which a lot do, but I inspected them and they're super clean (yes, I'm crazy!).  It's been very recently upgraded and renovated so it felt more like a mid-level hotel.  Kennedy felt kind of Motel 6.  I'm not driving to Voorhees in labor.  25 mph on Laurel Road?  Forget it!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"