October 2011 Moms
Options

Chicken ceasar wrap

Ok I'm having a serious craving for a Chicken Ceasar Wrap at the Deli down the street but it has both Parmesan and Feta in it. If I tell them to heat it up properly - do you think it's ok to eat??

Re: Chicken ceasar wrap

• Options
    Most parmesan and feta in the US is pasteurized....not to worry. If you are that concerned at least heat up the chicken and youll be fine!
    photo b5880bbf-17e0-491c-8d1e-181ee8707670_zps6b0bf0b5.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Aug 19, 2010 ParaGuard IUD Removed
    Sept 7, 2010 Dx w/Hypothyroidism (TSH 6.7) Began taking Levothyroxine
    Feb 15, 2010 BFP with #1
    Nov 1, 2011 DD1 Born
  • Options
    In a Ceasar salad - it's not the cheese you have to worry about, it's the raw egg that the dressing is made out of.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

In my bag: Nikon D90; 35mm 1.8, 90mm 2.8 macro (my fave), Lensbaby Composer with macro extensions. BFP after 13 cycles and one ectopic. Lost left tube 5/19/10.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ohhh I didn't even think about the dressing...oh how boring. What do you ladies eat for lunch? I'm running out of ideas!
  • Options
    I've benn craving onion rings like mad, so me andDD went to culvers and had cheese curds and onion rings.  I'm waiting for the heartburn to come!
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options

Caesar dressing at restaurants and fast food joints is fine! They aren't making it from scratch, LOL. Unless you're at a high end restaurant, it is dressing from a bottle and just as safe as the Kraft caesar you buy in a store. 

However, I've heard feta is still not ok even if pasteurized, b/c there's still a significant risk of listeria contamination.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageababymaybe:

Caesar dressing at restaurants and fast food joints is fine! They aren't making it from scratch, LOL. Unless you're at a high end restaurant, it is dressing from a bottle and just as safe as the Kraft caesar you buy in a store. 

However, I've heard feta is still not ok even if pasteurized, b/c there's still a significant risk of listeria contamination.

Actually at Carrabas their ceasar and I don't know what their other dressing is called, both have raw egg. Not all chain places are OK, its best to ask.

• Options
    I agree that most chain restaurants will not be using raw egg in their dressing.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I'd just ask the deli if they use raw egg in their ceasar dressing.  If they don't you are fine!  If you are worried you could always ask them to leave off the feta. 

I've asked at Red Lobster and they don't use raw egg but California Pizza Kitchen told me they did.  So it's definitely best to ask before you order.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Chances are, if you've eaten ice cream, you're already consuming raw egg. And ice cream is how "typhoid Mary" spread typhoid throughout NY because it hold bacteria so well. I've been eating raw and undercooked eggs this whole pregnancy. I've had unpastuerized blue cheese (it tastes better) in my salads all week. Last week I used feta, but I ran out this week. Everyone has their line for foods to avoid. Some are okay having caffine, others aren't giving up sushi. I'm not worrying about cheeses or products made with raw egg.
  • Options

imagefraglette:
     I've had unpastuerized blue cheese (it tastes better) in my salads all week. Last week I used feta, but I ran out this week.

Same here.  We are huge cheese lovers and spend a ton each month on cheese from the local cheese shop.  Almost all of the cheese we buy (roquefort, epoisses, morbier, etc.) are made with raw milk. It just tastes 1000x better than the pasteurized version and there really is no danger in consuming cheese made from raw milk, since it is processed.  It's not the same as drinking raw milk, straight.  

As far as the wrap goes, I'm highly doubting that some random deli would use unpastuerized feta and raw eggs in their dressing.  It probably comes from a bottle.  

• Options
    imagecantalopes24:
    imageababymaybe:

Actually at Carrabas their ceasar and I don't know what their other dressing is called, both have raw egg. Not all chain places are OK, its best to ask.

Yeah, definitely ask when in doubt. I think that the deli is a safe bet for being bottled though.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

I am guessing that everything the deli uses is pasteurized. Unless they are making that dressing fresh, it is unlikely to have raw egg in it and I have never been able to find unpasteurized feta in the US, at a restaurant or otherwise. Parmesan is never a problem.

Just ask the deli. Or, make it at home - you can definitely get pasteurized versions of all the ingredients at the grocery store. 

EDD - October 13, 2011 - Can't wait to meet our little one! BFP cycle BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy calendar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"