August 2011 Moms
Options

What is your name and do you like it?

We thought Team Pink would be easy but we are having the hardest time picking a name. Not only do we want a name we like, we want one that our baby will like.

I thought I might get some ideas from you girls. Feel free to also list a name you adore of a friend or family member.

PS- Maybe someone on Team Blue would wanna start a hubby name post?

Re: What is your name and do you like it?

• Options

My name is Kristina. I actually really like my name. I also like that it is spelled with a K. I like names that are very International but also American. My name is misspelled but I also get a lot of "with a C or a K?" The person that gets a lot of problems is my friend "Cristina" C with no H.

• Options
    I've always liked my name, Tiffany.  I laugh because my mom is all technical with naming this baby after someone special in our family yet she got my name from a chic on general hospital, lol!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My full name is Tatyana, but I've gone by Tanya my entire life. I like the name and people are always telling me how beautiful Tatyana is and how I should have gone by that! 

I don't like my middle name (it's my mother's maiden name) and when I was growing up I always wished I had a 'real' middle name. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    my name is Shannon Elizabeth (yes like the actress)... I used to hate my name growing up but now I love my name. I feel like my name is not too common. Like I've definetely known other Shannon's but its not like an Ashley or a Jennifer (no offense to anyone with those names, just saying they are common). I also like that my name has ties to my Irish roots. I love my middle name too and would love to name a daughter Elizabeth some day. Plus my dad calls me Elizabeth and I'm such a Daddy's girl haha. 
  • Options
    my name is Meghan...although a lot of people just call me Meg. I like it, but I'm not crazy about my MN--Elyse. My dad wanted that to be my first name, luckily it didn't win. I only hate it b/c growing up, when I told ppl that was my MN, they would almost ALWAYS say "that makes me think of a spoiled 5 yo I know"...grrrrr
  • Options

My name is Betsy. Not short for anything(many think it's short for Elizabeth). I always loved my name growing up because you don't see many Betsys out there. There was only one other Betsy in my school district and she was 3 grades ahead of me. I've personally only met 1 other person with my name and that is the person I'm named after. 

I love my daughters name Ellie. It's so simple and cute. Not to mention it fits her perfectly.  

• Options

Well. Mine has a story attached to it that would make the BN board laugh... or cry.

My mom thought she was going to give me one of those double names that have always been kind of popular here in the south...

AnnaMarie. All one word, M capitalized. She was very specific about this. No middle name. She wanted me to be uneek.

Thankfully, whomever fills out the birth certificates either took pity on me or misunderstood my mom's directions because they put down on my birth certificate FN Anna MN Marie, but my mom REFUSED to acknowledge it.

I grew up HATING my name. My mom was ADAMANT about calling me AnnaMarie and spelling it exactly like that on EVERYTHING, correcting my friends that called me Anna, sending notes to church, etc. She was a little crazy about the whole thing.

Fast forward to now, and I go by Anna. Which I LOVE. She still calls me AnnaMarie (and uses that on facebook to address me which drives me nucking futs), and takes it personally that she's the only person that calls me that.

A cautionary tale for people trying to give their kids ~special~ names. 

• Options
    My name is Sarah Elizabeth. It is way too common for my taste. I knew 2 others my age, in my tiny town, one with the same last name. I hate it. Now, of course, I've made my peace and I couldn't care less what my name is. However, the year I was born it was one of the top 5 names and I won't be doing that to my kid. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My name is Jasmine and I have always liked it! It's feminine and unique but not sooo unique that no one has heard of it. My Dad grew up in the Bahamas and I was named after the jasmine flowers that bloom there - my mom always knew that when she had a little girl she would be Jasmine. My middle name is Sara and I like that it is spelled that way - it's after my great-grandmother Sabine. 
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Lauren Elizabeth.

I'm right up there with Sarah.  I know 4 other people in my grade with my exact name.

That said, I don't mind it.  I think it's traditional and pretty and I haven't met that many Laurens since entering the workforce.   There are actually only 2 out of 1000 in my local professional group. I think over popular names are only a problem for children. 

• Options

You ladies have beautiful names.  Thank you for sharing.  I have such an uncommon name (my mother made it up), that if you googled my name first name and the state I live in, you'd probably find out where I work, live, etc.  So, I'm too paranoid to share my name...

• Options
    My name is Juliana. I love it. It's uncommon without being uneek. It's the only good thing my grandma did in her life. My parents wanted to name me JohnAnna after my dad because I was born on his birthday, bit thankfully my grandma stepped in and told them that was cruel. They are deaf, so they have no idea how awful that name would have been.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My name is Jennifer.  I like it, even if it is an incredibly popular name.  I've gone by Jenny (which suits me much better) most of my life but started using Jennifer professionally.  A lot of people like to call me Jenn (I don't know why this bothers me but it does lol) or Jen which is fine by me.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

My name is Amanda Lynn 

First off people say aww your like the instrument.  Ummm no but thanks! haha  My last name was also super common so I felt like I had the same name as half the people in my school.  I do like Mandi (spelled with and i!) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options
    My name is Kathleen Jeanette.  I love it.  Growing up I wasn't a big fan of Kathleen because it was so uncommon, but I grew into it and now I couldn't pick a better name for myself.  Waayyy better than the Guinevere that my dad wanted to name em (shudders).
  • Options
    I am Danielle Elizabeth.  A little stripperish but I do love my name.  I was born on Feb. 1 which is also my Uncle Daniel's bday which is how I became Danielle.  If I was a boy I was going to be Terry after Terry O'Reilly (Popular Boston Bruins Player at the time) I would have hated that name!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm Danielle Marie, there is a rumor that my mom was reading a Danielle Steele novel around my birthday but she says it's after my uncle Dan who knowsWink

I never minded my name there were a few Danielle's in my high school but not an overwhelming number.  Some people call me Danni or Dee.

My sisters are Megan Laura and Michele Colleen.  Story is my dad (Michael) had finally given up on getting a boy at the third girl and so my baby sister became Michele.  She hates the one L spelling though bc of course everyone screws it up.

• Options
    My name is Shayla and I love it. I receive compliments daily on it,
    Proud Mom to Eily 12/16/2005 BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options

My name is Tara, and no, I didn't like it much when I was growing up. In elementary school, one boy thought it was funny to call me Arat Angry I like it now, though.

My middle name is Atlanta (after my mom's mom). I never really had an opinion on it. I guess because I didn't have to hear anyone say it much. I also like it now. My grandmother told my mom not to use it, but I'm glad to have something permanent of her.

• Options
    My name is Veronica and I like it, because it's rather unique. The problem is that people often confuse it with Victoria for some reason (and call me Vicki), even though these two names are completely different.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My name is Callie.  I was named after my great grandmother.  I love my name because it is different yet still classic.  It is seeing a rise in popularity with shows like Grey's and whatnot.  I usually get asked if it is short for Calista which it is not.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My name is Erin Heather. I like it because it's traditional but I don't think it's overly common.
  • Options

My name is Leah. I didn't like it so much when I was little because it's a short name and I didn't know any other Leah's. Around Jr. High I really started to love it. Now it's a popular name.

ETA: My middle name is Nikia which RHYMES with Leah. It doesn't bother me, and some of my friends and family will call me Leah Nikia.

• Options

My name is Alice Lucy.  I didn't care for it growing up, but I've come to really love my name.  My parents call my Ala (full is Alicja) in polish.  Originally, my mom wanted to name my Alexandra, but when the Dr. asked her what name she wanted to give me, she blurted out "OLGA"  WTF, right?!  She was caught up in the moment of just giving birth and meant to say "Ola", which is short for Alex in polish.  THANK GOD the Dr. took some pity and told her she wasn't going to name me that!  She had my dad call a close family friend for some suggestions, and that's where Alice came from.  Smile

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My name is Samantha Anne, it would have been "Sam" whether I was a boy or a girl. My Grandpa really wanted a "Sam" but my Grandma wouldn't allow it. So, because I was the first grandkid I was given the name for my Grandpa. 

I don't mind it. I get called Sam, Sammie, and my FI will only call me Samantha.  

• Options

Julie Ann.  I mainly go by Julie or Jules, but every now and again someone will call me Julie Ann (either a childhood friend or someone who doesn't really know me!)  I like it, and it wasn't too popular growing up.   

Good Luck!!  Big Smile

Mr. & Mrs. ~ 09.08.07

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

My name is Lauren (duh) and I love it!  I don't ever remember not liking it growing up.  I was often one of many - "Lauren S." was how I had to write my name on my homework, haha - but that never bothered me, in fact I think I liked it.

It was my middle name and last name that always gave me grief - my middle name is Delong, a family surname, which I now appreciate but hated growing up.  My maiden name is a long polish name that starts with an "S," so not only was I always towards the end of the alphabet but everyone always made fun of my last name.

imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

My name is Anna, but pronounced Ah-na.  I love the way it sounds, but SO many people (understandably) call me Anna the way it looks like you'd say it that it gets kind of old.  Whatever you ladies name your LOs, just make sure you spell it in a logical way!

• Options

My name is Sarah. You are shocked to find that out, aren't you? LOL. I hated my name growing up. HATED it. I begged my mother for years to let me change it to Jennifer. hahaha! There were just way too many Sarah's in my school. I always had at least one in every class. I just felt like I blended into the masses because of my name. Now I know that's not the case. I dont mind my name now. People know how to pronounce it and how to spell it. It's my last name that throws them for a loop!

My Middle name is Ruth - another shocker, right? I was obviously in a very creative mood back when I created my knot name. I am very happy with my middle name. Not very common but not anything crazy either.

Married & TTC #1 since 8/28/10 BFP #1 10/25/10 - EDD 7/5/11 -M/C 11/10/10 BFP #2 12/16/10 - EDD 8/26/11 - BORN 8/10/11 Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My name is Robin and I have never liked my name, even as a child.  I'm not even going to put my MN on here as it's even worse, lol.  MN is after my moms MN, which is after a cousin of hers that died.  I guess I liked my name even less because my mom used to make a rhyme out of my first and middle names that annoyed me.  I'm a girly girl and I guess that my name just does'nt reflect who I am.
  • Options
    My name is Noel and I love it. I definitely get the nicoles and noles but I've gotten so used to it that I just shrug it off. I was born 4 days after Christmas so I think it fits well. I get compliments on it all the time!
  • Options
    My name is Kimberly Lynn. Before marriage I went by Kimberly as my last name was only four letters, now I go by Kim (last name is 10 letters long now). I really like my name, but find it a little strange that I am named after my sister who was stillborn at 7 months.. Apparently we looked identical at birth.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    My name is KaLyn (pronounced Kay Lynn). The spelling with the capital L is a bit of a tradition in my family. I really love my name because it sounds pretty and not odd but it isn't common either. I never met any other KaLyns growing up. I have no middle name. My grandpa and occasionally my mom used to call me Kalie growing up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My name is Jena Blake (pronounced Jenna)  I loved it growing up when people would pronounce it right, I'm from the south, so most teachers would pronounce it Gina, I wish my mom could have just given me the extra N to make it more simple, but she wanted me to be different, the only thing it got me was never finding my name on keychains. The other thing she failed to notice was my initials, which were JBJ...yeah sex ed was a fun time for me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

My name is Alicia.  I really like my name because there aren't a million of us around. 

I really love my niece's name also, which is Annalise.  And she is the most beautiful 4 year old I know. 

• Options
    my name is casey. as a kid, i hated it. all my friends were jennifers, tiffanys, etc and i wanted a common name like theirs. when i got my first job i also started getting comments about how my name is spelled the masculine way. as a young woman, sleazy old men would always try to pick me up with lines about "KC and the sunshine band" or "Casey at bat." it took me a long while to come to terms with my name but i must say as an adult that i LOVE my name!
    imageimage
  • Options

My name is Shelly Nicole.  I didn't like Shelly growing up.  I wanted to go by Nicole instead.  Until I got to HS and there were like 5 Nikki's. 

I also had the bad luck with finding stuff with my name on it.  It's usually spelled Shelley, so I get that a lot.  Now I just roll with it.  It is why I'm naming my children "regular" names spelled correctly.

The girl name I like is Audrey Noel.  Noel was my Grandpa's middle name (he was a Christmas baby).  DH says we can't use it unless we have a girl around Christmas.  So, if that doesn't work out we'll probably use Nicole as a middle name.  (If we are lucky enough to have a second child!)

• Options

Mine is Lisa Elaine.  I loved Elaine so much more than Lisa growing up that I begged my mom just reverse the order.  When I became incessant about it, my mom finally explained that I was named for 3 women she really admired growing up: twins Trisa and Lisa and their older sister Elaine.  My original birth certificate says Trisa Elaine but my big sister (who was 4 at the time) refused to call me that so they let her pick my name and of the options they gave her, she picked Lisa. 

I love Lisa now.  It suits me and I don't think I hear it all that frequently.  

I lobbied hard for one of the girl's name options to be Trisa but DH hates it. 

• Options

Wow I'm the only Joanne!

How am I not surprised?

I have NEVER liked my name. I was named after my aunt's freakin neighbor! I mean come on what was my mother thinking to let my dad's sister decide my name??

Anyway, I'm almost over it, lol. On the phone though people always think I'm saying Julian.

• Options
    Fiona Margo. I used to hate it, then I loved it, then shrek came out...
    MY BLOG image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"