October 2011 Moms
Options

how early can you find out the sex?

Hey Ladies,

Just a quick question.  Does anyone know how early you can actually determine the sex of the baby?? My husband keeps telling me his friend found out at 12 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how early can you find out the sex?

• Options
    I think 16 weeks by ultrasound. Some can make educated guesses at 12 weeks, but few are as accurate as at later dates. The closer you get to 20 weeks, the more accurate you are.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    ETA... did your DH's friend have a boy? At 12 weeks, boys and girls look like they both have little penises... it's the "angle" of those penis-like structures that give the clue to gender. Some people see the little "penis" and think, "It's a boy!" when that's only 50% correct if you just go by that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Anything before 15ish weeks is really just an educated guess.  After 15-16 weeks you can get a more definitive answer. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think the pp's are right on with what they've said.  I just wanted to add that I believe that the CVS testing can tell male/female.  I believe that is done around where we're at now (late 1st tri-early 2nd tri). 

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options

thanx ladies. Ya, her utlra sound said it was a boy.  I thought she might have gotten scammed, even though they ended up being right.  She paid $40 at a mall to get an ultra sound done.  I decided not to go wtih it I would rather wait and not have to pay a dime. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    yeah, if they do add'l genetic testing (cvs and amnio) they can tell you the sex.
    Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • Options
    As other ladies said, genetic testing is the only way to know for sure at that point. My BIL and SIL had a CVS at 12/13 weeks and found out the sex then. My office will give you the sex at the 16 week level 1 scan.
    BFP #1 10/17/09: missed m/c at 7 weeks; BFP #2 10/22/10: chemical pregnancy; BFP #3: 1/28/11

Baby Boy Smudgie born 10/4/11

<a href="http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/triple_sevens/?action=view

• Options
    My doctor's office wont even discuss the sex until 18-20 weeks because it is easier to detect at that point.
    Anniversary AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sometimes they can tell at the NT scan because they can see the ovaries inside the babys body.
  • Options

I actually had an ultrasound yesterday and the Dr asked if I wanted to know and of course I blurted out "yes!!!"

The baby was on its head with its legs spread wide open and he showed me what looked like an equal sign (=).  He said that 'marking' usually means its a girl...I'm going back for another checkup at 17 weeks so we'll see if he was right.  I'm not running out buying anything pink yet, but my husband and I have a gut feeling it is a girl from the start

Married 10/10/10 Baby due 10/03/11 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker My Bio/Blog...updated 9/01
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"