Pregnant after a Loss

WWYD re: washing baby clothes..take two??

I just did a full load of baby clothes and it wasn't until I went back in to start the next load (of non baby clothes) that I realized I don't have a free and clear detergent, therefore, lil mans clothes have all been washed in Tide Mountain Fresh.

Here's the thing.  I really wouldn't think this was a big deal, BUT...

When dd #1 was about three months old, we used a regular detergent at my parents house for the first time and she had a pretty bad reaction.  She broke out in hives and we had to take her to the doc and blah, blah, blah.  DD#2 has never seemed to have a reaction to detergent, but I don't think we used anything but free and clear on her clothes until she was at least a year old.

WWYD?  Would you re-wash the load or just assume that #1's reaction was like anything with her...a little dramatic and unexplainable. 

Forever missing Baby Z #3 ~ Natural m/c 4.12.2010 at 11w2d
*So proud and so lucky to be the mommy of two beautiful little girls
and one handsome little man*
RJ~5.17.2005~born @ 37w due to IUGR~4lbs 15ozs
Al~4.5.2008~born big and healthy @ 38w~7lbs 9.5ozs
Lil man~5.20.2011~born big and healthy @ 39w (after one he!! of a pregnancy)~8lbs 1oz
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: WWYD re: washing baby clothes..take two??

• I'd probably rewash it. Why chance it?
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would rewash them.  Better to do it now than when you have a new baby with a rash and then have to re-wash everything. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't....from what I've heard (purely annecdotal, of course), the reactions of not using $20 "made for baby" detergent is pretty few and far between, unless there is a major switch in brands.

So, it may be just my laziness talking, but I washed all of LO's clothes in our regular detergent. We'll see if her skin like it.....

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Meh....I'd prob just rewash it, mainly because you are going to have to get more detergent at some point anyways.  Why chance it IMO. Sorry buddy Geeked
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
    bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
    bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

• I fall into the re-wash camp. I find the most obnoxious part of laundry to be the folding, so I don't mind re-running it. Hoping that it's a little more fin to fold clothes that are tiny though!
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I would rewash. Luckily DH has sensitive skin so we use tide free and gentle on all the clothes anyway.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • I would probably rewash it.  Because later if you do find that LO also has sensitivity to it, you'll be trying to guess which clothes were in the load that got washed in that detergent so they can be rewashed then...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Especially because you've already had a baby have a reaction to detergent, I would rewash it. 
    DS1 born 3/30/09
    natural mc @ 10w4d 3/7/10
    DS2 born 9/13/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Rewash, DS has very sensitive skin. I used some baby soap that were a gift  once and he broke out into a rash.
    image Nicholas loved for 28 weeks, 4/11/10
    Baby Boy loved for 15 weeks, 5/31/11
    Baby Girl loved for 16.5 weeks. 3/1/12
  • We don't use any fancy baby detergenet, but we do use a free and clear type.  It was recommended to us to go perfume and dye free (by docs and prenatal instructors) and we don't really want to risk any adverse reaction.

And really, in the case you mention, it's one load of laundry, so re-laundering will only take a few minutes.

Missed m/c 11.09 | Missed m/c 3.10 | We miss you & love you so.
    ~ ~ ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Formerly toddandjulie
  • I'd rewash it.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Definitely rewash! Their skin is so sensitive. I only used Dreft or Free & Clear until DD was 1 year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"