Attachment Parenting

Waldorf education

Anyone here have children in the Waldorf school? We're considering it for our daughter and there is a playgroup starting for her age group coming up. I'd love to know why you like it/don't like it.

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Waldorf education

• I like parts of waldorf - the fantasy play, the emphasis on nature, the fact that it's child led.

I don't like parts of waldorf - there are distinct religious overtones (but like everything else, it depends on the school you're in whether they are heavy handed or merely in the background - or somewhere in the middle), I don't like the restriction on using black to color with, I'm not a fan of "no tv at all ever no matter what."

If it were us, I'd join the playgroup and see how my LO does. You can always switch.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Steiner was a bit of a nutcase IMO. I haven't seen a waldorf school that didn't scare the ever living crap out of me.

image Josephine is 4.
  • Loading the player...
  • Joseph can't go to a Waldorf school. He loves to color with black crayons, and he likes to figure out why things work the way they do. If someone tried to tell him that gnomes run the copy machine, he'll rip it apart to prove there's no gnome in it.
  • imageLoriFalce:
    Joseph can't go to a Waldorf school. He loves to color with black crayons, and he likes to figure out why things work the way they do. If someone tried to tell him that gnomes run the copy machine, he'll rip it apart to prove there's no gnome in it.

LOL, my son would be right there with him.

• Wow...ok...thanks. I think? haha.
  • I went to a Waldorf school for 1st-3rd grade. I could knit really well, but not really spell or read. They don't teach reading until 3rd grade, which is too late IMO. I had a hard transition into a different learning environment far as academics were concerned.

I think emotionally and 'spiritually' it is an awesome place to grow, but academically not so much.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKBabySmiles:

I went to a Waldorf school for 1st-3rd grade. I could knit really well, but not really spell or read. They don't teach reading until 3rd grade, which is too late IMO. I had a hard transition into a different learning environment far as academics were concerned.

I think emotionally and 'spiritually' it is an awesome place to grow, but academically not so much.

Thank you for sharing this. This has been the case with most people I know who delayed reading and phonics. 

I think you can nurture a child's spirit while teaching them the basics. I refuse to believe we warp children with dark blue, brown and black crayons and while my child loves crafts etc... I think her interest in science and math should also be nurtured.

So, walllldooorf is out.  

image Josephine is 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"