High-Risk Pregnancy

Pneumonia and pregnancy

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone ever had pneumonia and been pregnant?  Today my family doctor wrote 'suspected pneumonia' when I went to see her.  I thought I had a common cold for the past week (I had sneezing, runny nose, etc.), but went in today after my cough would not subside.  Additionally I have a little bit of wheezing at the end of an exhale.  She prescribed me antibiotics, albuterol, and a medrol pack.  I'm concerned about taking the medrol pack (steroids) since I've been reading some conflicting evidence about its effect on fetuses.  I see my OB tomorrow morning and I'm sure he'll say it's fine to take the medrol, but it still makes me feel uneasy to take any medication that is not completely safe.  Does anyone have any advice about the steroids?  or has anyone had pneumonia before while pregnant?

ps-I do have a post nasal drip.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Pneumonia and pregnancy

• I would take the steroids. I took Prednisone while pregnant with DS from 25 weeks until about delivery. I have severe asthma and it was the only way to keep it under control. DS is perfectly fine. It is very important that you are getting enough oxygen and are able to breathe. I more than likely will have to go on Prednisone later in this pregnancy due to asthma issues. I hope you start to feel better.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had aspiration pneumonia while I was in PTL at 30 weeks. While on Mag-Sulfate, I was vomiting so severely I couldn't catch my breath and ended up inhaling it.   I was on IV antibiotics and breathing treatments every 4 hours for a week. I went home with an inhaler to use every day, I think there was some steriods in this. 

Best wishes to you! Sleeping upright was the easiest way for me to breath, you may want to give that a try!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"