Upstate NY Babies
Options

Another Babysitting Question

DH has a co-worker (well, up until a few months ago) that lives a couple of blocks away. He has a teenage daughter - but young...maybe 13?? Assuming they let her stay out that late - would you be ok with a 13 year old watching your kids from like 9-12? In all honesty...she wouldn't even see the kids, probably...she would just have to be able to call 911 and if they woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep - we would just come home.

She already said she wants to be our babysitter, haha!! And she's taken her courses and everything. I would like to bring her over as a mommy's helper this summer a bit too. But like I said - I'd like to get a night one started.

And if you all say "No way" and I still do it...will you judge me? Haha!

Re: Another Babysitting Question

• Options

When I was 12, I babysat an 18 month old and 6 yr old from 4 until 11pm or later three days a week.  I had no courses or training, but the parents owned a restaurant less than a mile away and could be there in minutes if there was a problem. 

On the other hand, I couldn't leave Ty with many people, even adults.  He can be extremely overwhelming.

• Options

If I knew the girl and she was very responsible.  I babysat a 6 week old baby and 2 year old for 12 hours once a month.  Then they had a 3rd child and I watched all 3 of them. 

I worry more about my dogs than the kids with someone in the house.  If we ever had a babysitter we'd probably go somewhere very close.  I would not go to Niagara Falls or anywhere far.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it totally depends on the kid. Some 13 year olds are more mature than other 16 year olds. If you feel comfortable w/ her and she's responsible, then I would have no problem leaving her in the house to stay with the kids. Especially since she only lives a few blocks away... she could always call her parents if there was an emergency. And, I'm sure you guys would stay semi-local too.
  • Options
    Sure I would. Try her out one or two days while you're home as a mother's helper and see how she does. That would be awesome to "snag" as good sitter at 13 b/c then she could stay w. you guys for a few years.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think it would depend on her maturity level. If she was very responsible, I'd consider it. I was babysitting like that at 13, and was within walking distance of my house.

I have twin 14 year olds a couple doors down who we'll probably use more often this summer. We've been lucky to have family ready and willing to watch Ian on the rare occasions we do go out, but we don't want to overuse them.

• Options

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for the record....I consider myself a very non-judgemental person ;o)

Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's funny...I babysat starting at age 11, but I would never hire someone that young to watch my kids! By the time I was 13, I was watching multiple kids for long hours...that summer I watched four kids, they were 8, 4, 2, and 3 months old. Can you believe that? I was very close to home so my dad was around if I needed him...but for the most part I was on my own. I think back on it now and I think those parents were crazy. That is a lot of responsibility for anyone, let alone a 13 year old girl...no matter how mature she is.

In your case, where the kids would already be asleep, I would probably feel a little better about it. Especially if her parents are so close by. I personally wouldn't do it, because we are kind of weird and don't really trust our kids with anyone but family...but I wouldn't judge anyone else for doing it.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Haha - it's really funny thinking about what we used to do - for a LOT less money and now we wouldn't THINK about doing that with our own kids.

I actually don't even trust family to watch our kids right now. It's just TOO hard. My MIL would let the kids whine for HOURS instead of just putting on a 30 minute TV show. I get that she wants to do wholesome things with them. But I don't want my kids to suffer, either.

But for some reason I feel SO much less strict about who watches them after they go to bed. I'd just like to know them enough to trust that they can call 911, and that they won't steal my kids to sell on the black market. This could be my desperation to get out of the house, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"