Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Are you really not supposed to use crib bumpers

because baby could suffocate?
BFP 11/09...M/C 1/27/10...TTCAL 3/2010...IUI #1 9/2010 = BFN IUI #2 10/29/2010 = TWINS! EDD 7/25/2010 C-SECTION 7/7/11 at 37.5wks due to severe pre-eclampsia. Liliana born 6lb7oz and Anthony born 5lb4oz Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Are you really not supposed to use crib bumpers

• Options

Yep. They also restrict airflow into the crib from the sides. They are considered a SIDS risk.

We got mesh breathable bumpers for when she's rolling around, but we're not putting anything in there to start. Makes me way too nervous.

• Options
    so why do they sell them with EVERY bedding set??????
    BFP 11/09...M/C 1/27/10...TTCAL 3/2010...IUI #1 9/2010 = BFN IUI #2 10/29/2010 = TWINS! EDD 7/25/2010 C-SECTION 7/7/11 at 37.5wks due to severe pre-eclampsia. Liliana born 6lb7oz and Anthony born 5lb4oz Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageScout05:

Yep. They also restrict airflow into the crib from the sides. They are considered a SIDS risk.

We got mesh breathable bumpers for when she's rolling around, but we're not putting anything in there to start. Makes me way too nervous.

This. 

We registered for both the breathable bumper and the one that comes with our bedding. We'll use the breathable one until he's close to a year old, and then switch to the "pretty" one after that. I plan on keeping him in that crib until he won't stay in it any longer, or he has a mustache, whichever comes first. 

Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think I put them in my DS crib anyway in the beginning, then took them out when he was more active. I remember getting annoyed because they never fit right!
    3 m/c in 06' Jackson born July 07' TTC again since Aug 10' M/c sept 10' jan 11' Mar 11'
  • Options

I was going to ask the same question. I mean I know they say not to use them, but I kinda feel like its ridiculous. If the baby isn't rolling over yet, then they shouldn't be able to suffocate on the bumper. And if the baby IS rolling over, then shouldn't they be able to roll away from the bumper so they don't suffocate?!?

Oh well we ended up getting the cute bumper that went with our bedding set from pottery barn AND a breathable bumper too. I guess we will use the breathable bumper for a while even though I think its stupid. But I would rather be safe than sorry...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think they sell them because it makes them money and people are willing to buy them becaus they're cute. Kndeckar, even if a baby can't roll over they can still scooch and move. My DD would end up in corners of the crib before she rolled over. And they don't have good enough neck control to move away from the bumper. We didn't have a bumper at first, and then when DD was getting near the slats we used the breathable bumper.
  • Options
    Scout said it best...SIDS scares the beejezus out of me so there is no way in hellz that I will be using the cutesy bumpers....Breathable ones only!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageScout05:

this! The restriction of airflow/oxygen in the crib is a big concern that not many people are aware of. My niece passed away suddenly and unexpectedly during her nap at 25 months old so I have done a ton of research on SIDS/SUDC (sudden unexplained death in childhood). I will spare everyone a long post, but we will definitely not be using them.
    Lila Vivian born 7.20.11
    BFP 3.13.10 - Missed MC discovered 5.13.10 at 12w1d - D&E 5.17.10 TTCAL Buddies with kerri_woo and W111MRP
  • Options
    We used ours verrry early on when DS wasn't moving around.  He actually took a while to become a mover at all in his sleep - probably because I had him swaddled for so long.  He also only napped in his crib until he was 4 months, so I don't think he ever slept a night in his crib with them.  We bought breathable bumpers, which I love.  If for nothing else, they were great at keeping his binky in the crib at night.
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

• Options
    i used the breathable bumper with DD. Real bumpers can restrict the air flow through the slats and to the baby. SIDS just scared me too much. i took the breathable bumper off when DD was a over a year. She was standing in her crib and I caught her trying to use the bumper as leverage to climb out. Smartie pants!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"