Austin Babies
Options

NBR: Would you go to Mexico?

DH and I want to do an all inclusive beach vacation this summer before we get serious about TTC.  We don't want to spend tons of $, though.  I found a couple of resorts that I really am excited about.  However, DH isn't terribly comfortable about going to Mexico.  He doesn't feel that it's very safe, especially since he usually travels with his gun and obviously he can't do that.

I think that if we take a resort shuttle from the airport to the resort (which is only 12 miles) and just stay there we should be okay.   So...

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR: Would you go to Mexico?

• Options
    I said other because It kinda depends on where in MX.
  • Options
    I'd stay away from Juarez.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNessia:

Sorry, I should have added that.  

Cancun - Excellence Riviera Cancun

Riviera Maya - Valentin Imperial Maya 

• Options

Ok, I want to do the same thing, but I've been told no by people who live there.  Even at the resorts it's not safe right now.  I talked to a couple parent's of my students from Cancun.  They said the resorts are no safer than the cities right now.  The cartels are going where the money is, and that's where the American's are.  I had a student a few weeks ago had his entire paternal side of his family murdered about 10 miles from a resort in the Mayan Riviera area.  

We're instead looking at Bahama cruises or something like that... 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hawaii, Florida, puerto Rico!
  • Options
    imageangelaggie:

Ok, I want to do the same thing, but I've been told no by people who live there.  Even at the resorts it's not safe right now.  I talked to a couple parent's of my students from Cancun.  They said the resorts are no safer than the cities right now.  The cartels are going where the money is, and that's where the American's are.  I had a student a few weeks ago had his entire paternal side of his family murdered about 10 miles from a resort in the Mayan Riviera area.  

We're instead looking at Bahama cruises or something like that... 

Thank you.  This is exactly what I was wondering but I don't know anyone who lives there and I don't always trust what the news says.  (Not that they lie but you never know what's really going on.)  

So...let me know if you find an awesome deal and I'll do the same! 

• Options
    We went to Mexico this time last year and took A with us. We left the resort and traveled around, rented a car. All was perfectly fine.  The touristy areas are safe.  The resorts will be totally safe.  I honestly wouldn't worry unless you're planning on spending a week in Ciudad Juarez or something like that. 
  • Options
    imageJess.O:

imageNessia:

Sorry, I should have added that.  

Cancun - Excellence Riviera Cancun

Riviera Maya - Valentin Imperial Maya 

Totally, 100% safe.  We were in Cancun and traveled to Xel Ha and surrounding areas. No issues whatsoever.  

• Options

I would.  We went to Playa last summer and I felt totally safe.  We did an excursion away from the resort and were asking our guide his thoughts about safety in the area.  He said there have been no issues with the resorts and touristy areas and felt they were completely safe.  And its been quite awhile since I have been to the Bahamas, but I have actually always felt safer in Mexico than I did in the Bahamas.  

If you do end up going, we have stayed at the Excellence Rivera Cancun and it is awesome!!! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't go.  But, if you decide to go, I think DH can travel with his gun if he checks it.  Or are there different rules for international flights?  Or can he not because he isn't licensed in MX?  
  • Options

I'd go - the resorts have pretty good security, especially since the last thing they want is something to happen to a foreigner and the press being all over it.  and you don't really need to leave the resort since cancun is basically just row after row of AIs.

• Options

I have a student whose parents live in one of the resort areas.  They are not allowing her to come home for summer break because of the crime.  

We also know several families personally who have sent their children to live in the US because of the crime.  

I wouldn't travel there right now.   

• Options
    My BFF's parents have a house in Puerto Vallarta and they were all just there and it is very safe. They say that things are more shaky on the Atlantic coast. 
    Business Cat. image
  • Options
    I wouldn't go. Not just because of the crime, but every time the in-laws have gone to Cancun they get food poisoning and complain about the not being able to drink the water. We fell in love with Aruba on our honeymoon and it will forever be our Caribbean getaway! We can't wait to go back for our anniversary in September and we're taking DS with us (along with a grandma, so we can have some alone time).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    And Aruba lays outside the hurricane belt, so that's one less thing to worry about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I just wouldn't risk it. A lot has changed with the drug cartels in the last year. Things are escalating on a daily basis. Are the resorts safe? Probably, but why take that risk? Is it that important to go to Mexico when there are other places to go?
  • Options
    DH and his mom are the exact same way but it took me dragging DH to Cancun back in 08 for him to realize that it really wasn't that bad.  We didn't get the all inclusive package with our room so we even ventured off the hotel grounds at night and other than the occasional offer of wacky tobaccy it was fine.  Not sure where you're looking at but I'd also consider Cabo or Tulum as well. 
  • Options

imageNessia:
    I just wouldn't risk it. A lot has changed with the drug cartels in the last year. Things are escalating on a daily basis. Are the resorts safe? Probably, but why take that risk? Is it that important to go to Mexico when there are other places to go?

This. Personally, I wouldn't go right now.

• Options
    I would not go.  This is coming from someone who lived on the border and used to go across into Mexico regularly. 
  • Options

imageNessia:

Same here. My husband has a lot of family in Mexico, and we haven't visited for over 4 years because of the situation. It sucks and it's sad. I love Mexico, and I wish I could support the economy, but I just wouldn't be able to relax.

ETA: Recommendations- South Padre Island, Grayton Beach in Florida. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"