Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What's your lifesaver?

My sister is 33 weeks pregnant and her last shower is this weekend. I've already bought her tons of clothes, a stroller, etc but I was wondering what was the most helpful thing you got (or even bought yourself) for after you had the baby. I figured you ladies would be the best to ask :) TIA for your help!
image image
TTC Dec 2010 - DX MFI Aug 2011 - CD3/7DPO labs good - HSG all clear
IUI #1 1/13 = BFN
IUI #2 = BFN
IUI #3 + Clomid = BFN
IUI #4 + Clomid = BFFN
IUI #5 + Clomid = BFN
IUI #6 + Clomid = BFN
IVF coming soon

Re: What's your lifesaver?

• baby swing, bouncy chair and SwaddleMe wraps.
    Nicholas Aiden Feb.25th,2011 at 12:58pm 5lbs 4oz 18" Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers 32 week 4D Ultra Sound & Born 2/25/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A swaddler is my hands down favorite item.  Another thought might be to get HER something- candy, a nice rich (smell free) lotion, maybe some nursing pjs.  My first thought at your title was actually scotch.

• Loading the player...
  • imagekdodge423:

booze

LOL!!!

(and I agree....) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekdodge423:

booze

fantastic response...lmao YesBeer

Nicholas Aiden Feb.25th,2011 at 12:58pm 5lbs 4oz 18" Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers 32 week 4D Ultra Sound & Born 2/25/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Food, gift cards for essentiles, swiing (but some babies don't lik them, like my first), video monitor (love it), diapers diapers and more diapers.

Maybe a gift card to get pictures take for their little one or something like htat.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • receiving blankets. tons of receiving blankets. they are excellent for swaddling and just plain everything else. i also lay them underneath the baby in the crib or bassinet for when he leaks [name that bodily fluid] from [name that oraface]. and the JJ Cole BundleMe i use in the carseat because it makes the carseat hold him more securely.

i have to admit, i returned almost everything except for a swing, bassinet, and the essentials. i haven't even opened the carrier or monitor yet.

but due to the fact that i underestimated the amount of pee coming through his clothes on a daily basis, having enough sleepers was something i never thought was importaant. i only had a few when i got out of the hospital and was doing a small load of laundry every day. i had to have someone go out and buy a buttload of sleepers so i could stop washing clothes so often.

so i also think sleepers and sleep sacs are important.

• A big glass of red wine.
  • Diapers, bouncy seat, clothes and playmat. We also like books around here. I wish I had more! DS loves all the things I mentioned, so IMO, you can't go wrong with any of them.

ETA: We also have a boppy newborn lounger that DS absolutely loved. I had never seen a lounger before, but I'm so glad I didn't return it. It was definitely a lifesaver for awhile. I highly recommend it.

•  1ht

playmat and swing! not to mention sleepers with zippers.. I hate the button ones at 4am...waaay too complicated in my tired state! I am looking forward to using my jolly jumper when she has strong enough head conrol because I can totally see it being a lifesaver since she LOVES to kick her legs... and a bumbo for her to sit in and look at the world!  a lot of people love their bouncy/vibrating chairs.. my LO will tolerate it but doesn't stay in it for long...

HTH

• Bouncy/vibrating seat, without a doubt. LO sleeps in it every night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • the Itzbeen timer and swaddlers. 
  • Number one is Boppy!  Close second would be my nipple shield, but that isn't something that you would buy them until after birth an LC says it will help... 

Otherwise, I wish I had more nursing bras or nursing tanks... or nursing clothes in general.  

SwaddleMe's were good for the first week, but my DD has hated being swaddled for the past 2 weeks.  I wish I wouldn't wasted the money and just used blankets to swaddle.  I was depressed because I spent 10 dollars on each because everyone said that it was a go to item! 

• my big exercise ball-he loves when i bounce on it while holding him, plus it is helping me with core strength
  • Rock n Play. And zippered sleepers!
  • Itzbeen timer, swing, and WubbaNub
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Gift cards... there were so many things that I had to buy after that weren't predictable before... DS was smaller than expected (well actually earlier), we needed way more newborn clothes... I really liked the Aiden and Anais blanket my friend "lent" me, and got more, but before I wouldn't have been sure they would have worked for us.(She found her others after and lent me more... I am still glad to have tons!)

There are also lots of things that we registered for that we didn't get. I would recommend checking the registry for "useful" things that weren't bought, like change table mattress covers.

We also ended up having to buy a new car seat when there was an accident with ours before we even left the hospital... so yeah, gift cards are great for all the unpredictable things that happen early on.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • Cloud B gentle giraffe.. she loves the white noise!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Moby!
  • Sleepers with zippers on them and the Soothie pacifier for sure.

Other than that, we really, really appreciated that our friends all pitched in and brought us food and even bought us a few dishes from local delivery services.

• A bottle of wine, bubble bath and a good self tanner! Make her feel like a woman again and not a transporter of human life.
  • Soothie pacifiers, a good breast pump, Itzbeen timer

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Rock n Play has been a huge lifesaver and the only reason I have gotten ANY sleep in the past 4 weeks! Also sleepers if she is lacking in clothes and my boppy.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    photo 5eaaf87b-ad37-4eed-9526-ebc7b28aed0d.jpg photo d035cb36-2bee-4dc9-8bf7-15d34ec258be.jpg
  • I use receiving blankets just to put down under DD when we go out and I have to change her in gross bathrooms.  As far as being swaddled...that lasted a whole week and then she would scream cry until we undid it.  And she was 21 inches (not huge) but the receiving blankets they sell are WAY too small.  Luckily my mom made us some that were a lot bigger and those have been useful but we only have 2 and that's plenty.

Things that have come in handy:

Swing/bouncer

A large water bottle (for me to keep beside me when I nurse-SO keeps it filled but it's necessary)

Wash cloths (not the newborn size!)-we use these to put under her butt when we change her in case of explosive poop or pee...the moment you take that diaper off is when they like to go the most.

Fisher Price light up sea sounds sea horse thing-I'm not sure the real name but there's a blue and pink one and she is obsessed with it.  It's been enough to get her to fall asleep or distract her during diaper changes.

A tap light that isn't too bright-it's best to keep the light dim at night during changes/feedings so to help the transition from day to night (babies are born being confused about day and night).

Sleepers that have an open bottom..they are easy to pull up and just change the diaper, especially at night.  SO puts her in them during the day also because he hates taking off/undoing clothes to change her diaper.

imageimageimage
  • Being stocked up on diapers, wipes, wash, diaper cream, and other baby care items has been great bc we don't have to run out every week to buy items. Love my boppy. A gigantic starbucks card has been my real lifesaver though:)
  • Moby and the swing. Without both of those items, I would've given him back by now.
  • Things we use daily:

Pacifiers

Bottles

Receiving blankets

Bibs/burp rags

Halo Sleep Sack Swaddler

Cloud b Gentle Giraffe (for white noise)

Boppy pillow

Mylicon

Wow.. now that I look at it, that's kind of a long list. haha :)

ETA: Also diapers and wipes, obviously.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My friends at work bought me a housecleaning session. Believe me, it was WONDERFUL. Best. Present. Ever!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"