Baby Names

Gertrude?

Do you think this name will come back or is it too hideous to ever make a comeback?  I like the nn Gertie...and it reminds me of E.T. :)  I'm not sure if I'd want to name a DD Gertrude, though.

I think I mentioned the other day that my nickname when I was little was Gert, though my mom hasn't called me that in years.  My grandfather used to call me Matilda Gertrude occasionally and Gert came from that.  Now that Matilda (a name I always thought was horrible) is making a comeback, it's hard for me to gauge whether Gertrude is good or bad. 

s/o of La-a...I have joked that I was going to name a future DD Ma~ (Ma tilde) :)

Re: Gertrude?

• I dont think its horrible, but I cant imagine being a teenager with that name :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think its that bad.  You can always call her Gert, Gertie, or Trudy if she hates it during those awful teenage years.  ^_^
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't think it's coming back, sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I knew a lady named Gertie. It was short for nothing. She was just Gertie.
  • I think it's hideous... just awful...

Ma~... now that's hilarious Stick out tongue

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I personally love it, but I haven't seen it among the come-back names. :(
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • LOL my friend's dad joked about how she should name her DD Gertrude..he always messed with her and called the baby that before she was born.

So yeah, needless to say I can't take this name seriously.

After 15 months of TTC w/ PCOS & MFI, suprise BFP 4/28/12!
    EDD 1/5/13
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Beyond hideous! vomit in my mouth
  • I love "old lady" names, so I really like this name. I think it's sweet and I can picture a young girl named Gertrude having some spunk.

I like the nn's Gertie and Trudy too.

ETA: I don't think this name will make a "comeback" but that's what I like about it, it's uncommon but familar and it's not ANOTHER Ella or Addison, or any of the other trendy or overpopular names. It's feminine without being frilly too.

• I am in love with Gertrude.  I do not think it's going to make a comeback any time soon.  While it fits in the "old lady" name trend, I don't think it's as endearing as some of the others.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • LMS05LMS05 member
    It's pretty awful. 
  • I think I would hate my parents forever if they gave me this first name. Maybe as a middle one?

Photobucket
    Landon & Porter
    1-10-07 & 5-11-11
  • It makes me think of Gertrude McFuzz, one of my favorite Dr Seuss books. I like it, but I don't think it's going to make a comeback. The right girl could really make it cool.
  • This is one old lady name I cannot get behind. It just sounds ugly to me and I don't thing Gertie or Trudy are remotely cute either. I hope to goodness it doesn't make a comeback!
  • It is my dd's mn, after my grandma.  I toyed for a little with giving it to her as a fn.  There is something quirky and appealing about it to me.  Especially Gertie.  But I think it is a very unusual name (at this point) and it would be hard for a shy or self-conscious kid to pull off.  If I knew my child was getting some strong personality DNA I would have taken the chance, but we don't have much of that on either side. 
  • While I don't think this is one of the "old lady" names that will make a comeback anytime soon, I actually think it's kind of sweet.  I like Gertie.  :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I know a Gretchen and a Greta but for some reason those two names are prettier to me than Gertrude. I think the ERT combo is just... not very romantic and it sounds older (like Ursula or Bert, kwim?). I don't think it will make a huge comeback but may ride on the coat-tails of Greta.

FWIW... my father liked this name and my mom vetoed it.

• We considered this as a middle name. My great aunt's name was Gertrude (Gertie) and I was very close to her. However, I think it is one of those names that you have to have the right personality to pull off, and you just can't know that when they are a baby. The name has special meaning for me, but to be honest I probably wouldn't like it if it didn't. It just isn't a pretty name.
    Hannah born 4/5/11
    TTC #2 since 1/14
    Miscarriage d/t blighted ovum 8/14
  • I think it's terrible.  Sorry.
  • I had an aunt & grandma with that name. We always called them Trudy, never knew their "real" name! I like Greta or Gretchen as an alternative.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For me it is one of the "porch sitters" (a nod to "The Baby Name Wizard" book).  A name that is old and NOT going to make a big comeback.  Though, I haven't understood the huge love for Eleanor either.  These names (Gertrude, Eleanor, Velma) always have sounded clunky and drab to me. 
  • I think it's awful sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"