High-Risk Pregnancy

heart defects

My husband was born with transposition of the great vessels.  the research that I have done shows a much higher risk that the baby will have some sort of heart defect, it ranges from a 3 chambered heart to a slight murmur.  the 18 week u/s showed that the heart looked really good, but 2 visits ago the doctor picked up a murmur on the audio u/s.  our first son has one too, but his didnt develop until he was a year old. the doc didnt seem to worried about it, but I havent been able to find much about it on the interweb 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: heart defects

• My baby has been diagnosed with TGV, so I had to respond.

I would surely request a Level II Ultrasound and then a fetal echocardiogram with a pediatric cardiologist. However, I think the chance your baby has a heart defect is still really small, like 1-3%.

I know that our peri said that any future children of ours would be screened with a fetal echo, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get one, too?

Good luck to you!

• I don't have TGV but I have prolapsed mitral valve prolapsed and about a 50 percent chance of passing it onto my child.  I second the recommendation of requesting a level 2 ultrasound and fetal echocardiogram if you're worried. I wouldn't worry too much though if the doctor doesn't sound worried. 

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"