Adoption
Options

How do you handle these comments...

"But don't you want one of your own?"

"Don't you want another blood related child? It's your blood." 

"I'm sure you could find someone to be a surrogate, it's better and cheaper than adoption."

I've had these comments said to me when brought up that we will be starting the adoption process for #2. They just don't make sense to me. None of it matters to me, I don't know why it does to other people, and can't believe they have the nerve to say things like this to me.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com

Re: How do you handle these comments...

• Options

"But don't you want one of your own?"  Adopted or biological, all of my children are my own.

"Don't you want another blood related child? It's your blood." Honestly, I have been/am guilty of asking this.  However, I think you would just answer with why you want to adopt.

"I'm sure you could find someone to be a surrogate, it's better and cheaper than adoption."  Surrogacy can be exponentially more expensive than adoption, and in the end to complete the surrogacy, you legally adopt the child after they're born anyway (in many states).

• Options

I have to say I struggle with these questions a lot myself.  We're very open with our friends and family and it is no secret that we are adopting soon (even though we have yet to start... that's another story).  We have some relatives and family who are really excited for us but in particular I get these comments from my MIL.

I think it's hard for her and some people to understand that I have no attachment to the experience of pregnancy and that it really truly makes no difference to DH or I if the child looks like us.  This seems to be the hardest thing for them. I have to be honest that the "why not go with surrogacy" comments bother me far more then the "why not your own flesh and blood" comments.  I don't know if it's that they don't understand adopt or what. 

Personally I've used the questions to comment back the way Mrs.B said, use the opportunity to educate and I'm trying to do this instead of reacting how I want to.  I think when it comes from friends and family it may be that they simply don't understand why their question or comment would be offensive.  I think it also depends on how much exposure they have had to adoption before.  

My advise, deep breath... count to 10... try to educate :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My children are my own

::smiling:: Have a nice day

Thanks for your opinion. Have a nice day.

• Options

My response if I am annoyed:

"wow, you seem very interested in my life.  You can rest assured that we are very happy with the decisions we make.    SO HOW'S THE WEATHER?"

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options

I was just telling someone the other day (I was home with THREE sick kids)... I feed them, I clean up their puke, give them medicine in the middle of the night.  They're all definitely mine.  I'm not doing that for your kids.  But seriously, I tell people that they're all mine, regardless of how we became a family.  Do I want another bio child?  We take what God gives us and we say Thank You and sometimes the life we're given is better than anything we could have planned for ourselves.

I always laugh when people talk about our "blood."  For starters, our family genetics is a little shady!  And I tell people that it's just not really that big a deal to us and when it comes to building a family that genetics is just not the priority.

No one has ever asked me about getting a surrogate, although my DD is Indian and people did make a couple off-color "jokes" about Indian surrogates and that really hacked me off - and I don't offend easily.  At all.  But in that situation I think I would simply tell people that what is right for some people isn't right for everyone and we've decided this is the right choice for our family.        

• Options
    image4LittleDucks:

We take what God gives us and we say Thank You and sometimes the life we're given is better than anything we could have planned for ourselves.

This is the best quote I've heard in a long time...
  • Options
    imageMrsB2007:
    image4LittleDucks:

We take what God gives us and we say Thank You and sometimes the life we're given is better than anything we could have planned for ourselves.

Oh I agree, I love this, and it is So, SO true. I ditto what MrsB said as well, except as for the blood thing...I tell people that biology/blood is the LEAST of what makes someone a parent. Neither guarantee respect, love, or even like between people. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I also find the whole blood thing insulting to blended families. Both my husband and I have step-parents --- people we love and respect. It's annoying.

We got a lot of comments like that before we brought our baby home, but none since. Everyone who meets him is crazy bananas over him, so I think they get why we are too!

• Options
    Thanks Mrs. B for your kind comment.  It's taken me a long time to be able to accept that I can't control every aspect of my life... particularly those areas related to family building, which is so personal!  With time though, I've come to realize that sometimes if I'm just willing to let go then that greater plan can be revealed.  It's very humbling to learn that sometimes you don't know what is best for your own life but I can only imagine what a mess my life would be if I got everything I wished for! 
  • Options
    imageMrsB2007:
    image4LittleDucks:

This is awesome. I am going to write it everywhere~

Beginning Adoption Process July 2010 sarahssarcasm.blogspot.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagesmith486:
    imageMrsB2007:
    image4LittleDucks:

This is awesome. I am going to write it everywhere~

Ditto. Amazing. Thank you everyone for the awesome input! I will have these ready in my head for any more future comments that hopefully don't come about.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"