self feeding help?? — The Bump
Babies: 9 - 12 Months

self feeding help??

DD is now 10 months and does not want to hold a bottle, sippy cup, or eat finger foods! She physically can do it - but wont. She likes holding the bottle and playing with the nipple when she is done feeding. She thinks its funny to bend the nipple so air squirts out of the hole of the nipple. However, she WILL NOT hold the bottle during a feeding. She plays with her sippy cup - but will not drink from it. And as far as finger foods go - she LOVES them. She will pick it up and play again. But will not put it in her mouth.  As soon as I pick it up - she opens her mouth (even if I am not coming toward her with it). So she understands that it is food but wont eat it! I am getting a little nervous that something is wrong. I know all babies develop at different stages but what can I do to help her? Obviously, what I am doing is not helping! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Re: self feeding help??

• This happened to us at 9 months too! She can feed herself and pick up her cup but won't. Obviously I don't have suggestions for you but I wanted you to know you aren't alone!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks. It makes me feel better atleast. I know she will eventually do it. Its just hard to watch her not do it.
  • For DS it just clicked one day and he started feeding himself.  We had better luck with larger things for him to hold and knaw on rather than small things like cherrios or puffs.  Ritz crackers were easier for him.  For us it was just about finding the right snack and it clicking with him.  I wouldn't be too worried- just stick with it.
    [IMG]http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/sarahwhite_1/IMG_8288-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image doremi29:
    For DS it just clicked one day and he started feeding himself.  We had better luck with larger things for him to hold and knaw on rather than small things like cherrios or puffs.  Ritz crackers were easier for him.  For us it was just about finding the right snack and it clicking with him.  I wouldn't be too worried- just stick with it.

This, We discovered that DD really loves the Gerber yogurt snacks (free dried). She would eat a whole bag of them if she could. Since discovering this last week she also ate banana and puffs for the first time too. So I think we needed to discover what she loved and build on that.

• DD took to having a spoon to eat with...just load it up with food for her. Also, larger things like chunks of graham cracker. She still isn't big on finger foods.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards