2nd Trimester

is it normal for heart rate to get lower as the baby gets bigger?

had my 16 week appointment today and the baby's heart rate was 150.  Totally fine!
But the first few times we heard/saw the heartbeat it was like 174 or something.
I was just wondering if as the baby gets bigger the heart rate may get slightly lower?  Just curious.

Re: is it normal for heart rate to get lower as the baby gets bigger?

• My sons HB got lower throughout my whole first pregnancy. Started at 170s and was down to 140s by the end. This pregnancy seems to be going in the same direction. I don't know if it's normal but I don't know that there is anything normal with any pregnancy! lol
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

•     
  • In general, the larger a mammal is, the slower it's heart rate is. So, yes. Not only is it normal, but it would be abnormal if it didn't go down.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image karenleigh861:
    yes.

This.^^ 

IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

•     
  • At 9w1d our baby's heart rate was 168, and by 20w4d it was down to 132. I'm not worried, and my doctor said she was doing great both times. I'm sure your doctor would let you know as well if there was anything wrong with your baby :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's normal. Our baby started around 165-170 but the past few times we've been it's been in the upper 140s.
  •     
  • Yup! Think of it this way, the baby's heart in the beginning is twice as fast as yours, so it's only natural it'll slowly get slower as time goes on. At 11 weeks, LO's hb was at 155. At 14 weeks, it was at 146. Nurse said it'll slowly decline through out pregnancy.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.  Also if baby is resting or moving will affect the heart rate a little.
  •     
  • This is my first baby and the first time we heard her heart the rate was 148. The last 2 times we've gone it's been in the upper 150's. I asked my dr about it and she said that the baby's heartrate fluctuates throughout the pregnancy. It'll go up and down and back up or whatever. Prob depends on if baby is resting or not as well...

• Yep, totally normal.
    Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  •     
  • jsongjsong member
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Love Its Photogenic
    I was curious about this as well so thanks for posting the question.  My baby was consistently in the 160s and last ultrasound, he was 148.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards