April 2011 Moms

Those swollen...come in!!

So, over the last few days my hands, feet and ankles have started to swell.  I can no longer wear my wedding ring, and can barely wear my flats when I put then on in the morning. 

When this happened I just assumed that this is all normal.  I considered myself lucky that this is just now happening considering my pregnancy is almost up.

Anyway, I called my Dr just to see if there was anything I could do to help it since my shoes are getting tight, and the nurse told me that I should be seen ASAP!  She tried to get me in the office today, but I couldn't so I'll be in there tomorrow morning.

I was very surprised that she was freaking out the way she did. 

Who else has experienced swelling?  What did you Dr say about it? 

Re: Those swollen...come in!!

• I've had swelling since 2nd trimester and it's not amounted to anything, but it can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. That's what they'll test you for. They'll check your urine and maybe a blood test. They'll ask you if you've been having headaches or 'seeing spots' in your vision. They may have you do a 24 hour urine catch.

Hopefully it's nothing for you as it's been for me (except annoying).

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I'm surprised they want to check you ASAP but they're probably just being cautious and want to check for pre-e. I started having swelling a couple of weeks ago. My wedding ring is on a necklace around my neck! My BP and urine have always been fine though and since I'm at the OB's office once a week, I think we're as on top of it as you can be. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor said swelling in the hands and below the knees (calves, feet, ankles) is totally normal at this stage.  Any swelling elsewhere, especially the face, warrants a trip to L&D.  Mine is OK in the morning but by the time evening rolls around, I have the worst cankles!  And haven't been able to wear my wedding ring for over a month now!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had swelling in my feet and ankles for the last two weeks that I worked.  My doctor said in the feet and ankles it's pretty normal as long as it doesn't come on suddenly.  For the hands, face and anything else you want to make sure you watch it as if could be a sign of pre-e.  Dr. said to elevate your legs as much as you could and drink lots of water with lemon in it.  Hopefully it's all just pregnancy related and you don't have to worry about anything.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If the swelling comes on suddenly (esp in face and hands) it's a concern and a sign of pre-e. I've had leg and ankle swelling for week and and weeks. My rings have been off since January and I am just overall puffy. I have definitely gained a lot of water weight.

Heed your Drs advice and get checked, esp if this is new for you. Hope you're OK!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies.  I just looked it up.  Ummm...yes I hope all is well which I'm sure it is.  I try to keep my feet up as much as possible which I've been doing all along.  I don't have "swelling" in my face, but I know my face has gotten bigger during the pregnancy...nothing major though.
  • I also think that if it goes down to almost normal by morning it's not an issue. I've had swelling in the ankles and calves the past month or so and more recently in my hands and my blood pressure has been a bit high and my dr said as long as it's not in the face, I'm not having headaches that I can't get rid of and I'm not seeing floaties it's fine. We're keeping an eye on my BP and if it gets any higher then they'll induce me or get me in for a c-section. Luckily I only have 9 days till my due date so if they want to do that it's fine by me lol!
  • My OB did the same thing when I called about swelling, had me come in that day to check my blood pressure and go over any other possible symptoms, to be sure it wasn't pre-e. When my BP was fine and the swelling and water weight gain were the only symptoms, I was sent home with orders to push fluids, take it easy and spend as much time as I could lying on my side.

• I started experiencing swelling at the end of February. My face, hands, legs, feet, and ankles were all swollen. At my appointments, my blood pressure was also up so my dr was watching me for pre-e. She asked about headaches and vision changes, but I did not have any. Starting the end of February and through my 36 week appointment, which was March 15, she checked my urine for protein and took blood. I did not have pre-e, but the swelling was so bad at my 36 week appointment that I was placed on bedrest. After laying down with my feet up for two days, the swelling went down. I noticed that if I tried to do anything that required standing for longer then 15 minutes, that I could feel myself start to swell again. I went into labor at 37 weeks and had high bp throughout. As soon as I was admitted at the hospital, they drew blood to again check for pre-e, but I was still clean. My feet and ankles swelled again after I delivered, but the dr said that was from the iv's I received for the epi. My swelling is now completely gone. Do not panic since swelling is normal. Your dr is probably being cautious since pre-e can come on quick. Good Luck.

• As PP said, they're probably concerned about possibility of pre-eclampysia.  I have had significant swelling in my feet/ankles throughout the third trimester and some swelling in my hands.  They will check your blood pressure, and probably do a urine dip to check for protein.  My doctor also had me go for bloodwork and do a 24 hour urine test.  Good luck!
  • Same goes for me...I had major swelling and was placed on bedrest and a high protein diet.  Things were good until last night it returned.  I am also experiencing numbness in my fingers....weird.  The high protein diet works wonders, though!  75 grams a day.  Good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"