1st Trimester

What's your favorite Old wives tales?

What are some old wives tales you guys know about pregnancy?

i.e.  If you have heartburn during the pregnancy, the baby will be born with hair.  Or if you carry in front you are having a boy, etc. 

Until we can find out the sex of the baby I thought it would be fun to hear some wives tales that I can make speculations about what my baby will be like! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What's your favorite Old wives tales?

• The heartburn thing is actually true!  There was actual research done that proved this (but they don't know why yet). 

My fave is that girls steal your beauty, while boys make you beautiful.

ETA: I found the article!! https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/318037/pregnant_mothers_with_heartburn_can.html?cat=25

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • if you raise your hands above your head you'll strangle your baby. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • Agree with PP. The heartburn one is true. My 2nd proved that! LOL. No really, I think it was proven.

My favorite is the having m/s or not = boy/girl. I had one with m/s and one without and they were both girls! FAIL!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I love the heartburn one, mostly because it proved so true for me. I had insane heartburn with my DD and she came out with this incredible thick black hair. It's so interesting to hear there might be some truth to it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow i never thought the heartburn was actually true because with LO i had one night of heartburn and that was it and he came out with a complete full set of hair it was crazy! Even my OB when i was like only 7 centemeters told me "wow you must of had a lot of heartburn" and i said No! why? and she said "all i know is he has alot of hair! lol
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm going to go completely against the heartburn one. I never had a lick of heartburn and my son was born with a full head of hair, 2 inches long. A friend of mine said, "I MUST be having a hairy baby, my heartburn has been so bad!" and her baby was completely bald until he was 2. I've only ever seen this one contradicted, regardless of what "studies" say.

I'd heard that boys carry high and girls carry low, I've seen that true more often than not, as well as girls giving you m/s (but my MIL countered that one by having 4 boys and being varying degrees of sick with each one. Once she was sick all 9 months!) 

I think my favourite has to be the heart-rate one. Apparently if the HR is higher than 145 consistently then it's a girl, and below 145 it's a boy. It was true with my son and with other people I know, but again, others have countered it. This baby's HR is showing the same trends as my son, so a part of me guesses "boy" for no reason other than that, but I'm not counting my chickens before they're hatched!

• Funny that the heartburn thing proved true for several of you...it didn't for me with DD! At almost 2, I can still barely put her hair in a pony tail (and it's a tiny one that sticks straight up at that!). We'll see with this kiddo--I've had more heartburn this time around.

The morning sickness one too...according to that, DD should've been a boy. I barely had any nausea with her. I've been nauseated with this one since before my BFP...and it's making think a boy (opposite of the OWT).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Heartburn OWT=fail for us... DD is still a little baldie and I lived on tums.
  • i love the "if you gain weight in your face" it's a girl. This actually proved true for me with DD and true for my sister with her DD and DS. Ha. I really hope my face doesn't blow up again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP#1 3-28-11 c/p 4wks 5days My Ovulation Chart
  • Another vote for the heartburn=hair being false.  I had terrible heartburn, like had to sleep propped up lots of nights heartburn, and ds barely had any hair until just recently.
  • The heartburn theory is definitely true. I had the WORST heartburn the whole time I was pregnant with DD, and she was born with TONS of hair. The doctor even commented on how much hair she had! The "carrying in front = boy" didn't hold true for me, because with DD, if you looked at me from behind, you couldn't even tell I was pregnant, but once I turned around, BAM! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • haha my sister and I were just talking about old wive's tales since we don't want to know what I'm having. to detect the sex of a fetus dangle a ring suspended on a string over the expectant woman's belly. According to the tale, if the ring swings from side to side, it's a girl, and if it swings in a circle, it's a boy. Or if your left breast is larger than your right it'll be a good.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"