3rd Trimester
Options

BTDT Moms: How do you know when you're REALLY in labor? (some TMI)

Sorry for the silly question, but I really am not sure. I've been losing my MP in pieces for about a week. About 4 hours ago, I noticed several contractions, so started timing them. Over the last 4 hours, they're been anywhere from 3 to 15 mins apart, lasting anywhere from 45 to 90 secs. They also feel more like period cramps that the BH I've had over the last few months. Also when I woke up this morning, I just felt kinda off...hard to describe, but I just felt a little out of sorts, and had some D and nausea.

We live an hour from the hospital and I know if I call, they're going to have me come in, but obviously, since I'm not in active labor they would just send me home. So...what would you do? Just chill out for now and keep timing? Call the dr?

Re: BTDT Moms: How do you know when you're REALLY in labor? (some TMI)

• Options

You will know. Well, most people do other than the lucky, super fast ladies. It does sound like you are in early labor but if they aren't getting stronger or more consistent yet just hang out at home and rest. It'll pick up if it's the real thing.

I knew it was time to go when I could not do ANYTHING during a contraction and they were coming much more regularly. Not exactly 5 minutes apart, but close sort of thing.  But it was the intensity that told me it was time to go.....at least with DS. Don't get me started on labor with DD LOL

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

When they become so painful you can't talk through them, and the contractions are coming in at around 3-5 minutes then it's time to start heading to the car.

My husband was running around like a nut and couldn't find the toothbrushes (they were already packed) I was in so much pain I couldn't even answer, "They're packed already" ..it was more of a muffled, "oh fu-k" 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like the pp said, you will know when it's REAL labor.  I had timeable contractions that still allowed me to function for about 24 hours, and then bam....they started to become more painful and more consistent and within a couple hours we were headed to the hospital.  They will stop you in your tracks and you won't be able to do anything but breathe through them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. The dr. said if I had more than 6 in an hour to call. But I kind of feel like what's the point? I'm full term, and they won't stop labor anyway. I'm more worried they'll ask me to come in, and the contractions will slow/stop on the long ride there (like they did when I went for monitoring about 8 weeks ago). I would kind of rather just wait and see if they intensify/become closer together before I call.
  • Options
    I did not know I was in labor.  I had back pain which only felt like the pain I get when I have my period or when I am constipated.  I actually thought  it was just constipation so I kept trying to go to the bathroom.  Well good think I started to spot because that told me something was wrong and we went to the hospital.  Even then I did not know I was in labor until they hooked me up to the monitors and I saw all of that back pain were contractions and they told me I was 6cm dilated.  I could not believe it.  If I did not have the spotting I would not have gone to the hospital and my doc told me I would have had the baby at home.  And it would not have been a good thing because she was breech and I had to have a C-section.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagecynth1:
    I did not know I was in labor.  I had back pain which only felt like the pain I get when I have my period or when I am constipated.  I actually thought  it was just constipation so I kept trying to go to the bathroom.  Well good think I started to spot because that told me something was wrong and we went to the hospital.  Even then I did not know I was in labor until they hooked me up to the monitors and I saw all of that back pain were contractions and they told me I was 6cm dilated.  I could not believe it.  If I did not have the spotting I would not have gone to the hospital and my doc told me I would have had the baby at home.  And it would not have been a good thing because she was breech and I had to have a C-section.

Indifferent I definately do not want to have my baby at home. LOL!! DH says that if I'm still having them when I get home from work, he thinks I should call. So I will.

• Options
    For me with baby #2, the difference between the contractions that never did anything and real ones was that while my belly was hard for a minute each contrax and it hurt at the peak, with REAL contrax they hurt for basically the entire span of the contrax with a peak in the middle.  The timing was about the same... it was just the pain that was different.
    imageimage

{ Jack 4.8.09 & Rose 10.24.07 }

• Options

Calling is always the safest thing to do.

I've been having regular contractions going on 3 days now. They are not intense, I can talk and walk through them. Yesterday when I called, my MW sent me straight to the hospital. I was monitored for 5 hours, then sent home because I didn't dilate while we were there. Bummer! I was told I could stay like this with regular contractions for a few more hours, more days, or even a week or two.

They told me that when they become more intense as the pp were talking about or if my water breaks to come back in. So I'm just walking, vacuuming, using an exercise ball, etc until then. Good luck!

My sweet girl born April 17, 2011. http://i52.tinypic.com/dzw4md.jpg
  • Options
    With my first, I went in when they were 5 minutes apart, but I remember calling my best friend from the car and telling her labor was "not that bad". Yeah, I got sent home. This time, I plan to wait until I get beyond the "not that bad" stage into the very beginning of the "holy s**t" stage.
  • Options
    The nurse at our birthing class told us to go by the 5-1-1 rule for deciding when to come in.  When the contractions are 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute in length, and it has been happening this way for 1 hour, then you should come in.  I hope that helps.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    September Siggy Challenge- You had one job

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

It sounds like you are in the early stages!  I felt "off" the day before my water broke.  The difference between those real contractions vs. the build up ones (they were like BH, but the were about every 15 minutes for a few days) for me was that they radiated from my sides around to my front vs just everything getting really tight.  The pain level also increased and I could not walk through them. 

Use the 5-1-1 rule.  5 contractions lasting one minute each for one hour.  then call.  good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    With my first, my water broke which is why we went to the hospital.  After they hooked me up to the machine I found out I was having contractions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"