Nurseries and Baby Gear

bathtub for baby?

I'm due any day now (fingers crossed) and I'm realizing we don't have a bathtub or anything bath-related for the baby.  Our bathroom has a full size tub and a small pedestal sink with a faucet that would get in the way, and our kitchen sink is one huge basin.  Should I run out and get one of those little baby bathtubs?  How early do you start giving baby baths, anyhow?  And is it safe to use soap/shampoo right away?  

<---  super ready to be a mom, obviously  :p 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: bathtub for baby?

• We used a baby shampoo/soap product (we use Aveeno, but there are a ton of brands and the hospital will probably send you home with some travel size ones).

For us, we just got in the bathtub and laid her in our laps/on our thighs to bath her. No baby bathtub in our house. The first couple baths are just "sponge" baths anyway, since you need to keep the cord stump dry. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • euro primo bath is highly rated in the Baby Bargains book & by a friend who has 4 kids.  we registered for one - love how it can work for infants on one side of tub & spot for toddlers when the baby is older!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!  The Euro Primo looked like it'd be too big for our house, but they make an infant seat to go in the kitchen sink that looks perfect for us.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can't bath baby until the stump from the umbilical cord comes off. I think this takes about a week. So you'll definitely have time to go out and get baby bath stuff after the baby arrives.

I don't think you need a tub, but I have heard that it's not a good idea to wash baby in the kitchen sink unless you wash it very well before and after. You wouldn't want to expose baby to the bacteria potentially in your food and you also wouldn't want to potentially expose your food or dishes to fecal matter from  baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh, I've heard in addition to only sponge baths till umbilical cord comes off that it's best to not over-do baths...max 3x a week for newborns per the same friend who is a mom for 4!
  • imagechary412:

Thanks!  The Euro Primo looked like it'd be too big for our house, but they make an infant seat to go in the kitchen sink that looks perfect for us.  

That is a shame. I have a Euro tub, and I seriously love that thing! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The Primo infant seat is very nice. We've been using it in the tub (too big for our sink) since A outgrew his Puj (awesome for little newbies if you have a sink it will work in).
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had a tub for my daughter....and hated it.  Finding a place to store it between baths was a pain.  I finally found this  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H953Y2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005JIVI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=012WTAY01QQAE6Q8D496 (actually not exactly, but the same idea...found mine at target).  It was so perfect!  Lay it in the regular tub a couple inches of water and presto, baby bath!  Grew with her too so that she could sit up on something soft when she got older.

I have to make sure and get one again for this baby!  

• I got this b/c it folds up

https://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=17560093&RN=7051&

the reviews are awful. but my friend has it and loves it. she got the same version but at BRU, it has an ocean theme on it and I preferred solid colors.

once babe is big enough, I am just sitting him in the sink.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the FP Whale of a Tub...it's so cute!  After sponge baths in the beginning, we now give LO a bath every few days.  I use California Baby products, which are for sensitive skin.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think we only used our baby bathtub once, I really don't think a plastic tub is necessary and LO just looked uncomfortable in it.  I just put LO in the big bathtub with me and now he can sit in their by himself.  I only gave LO a bath maybe weekly in the very beginning and I didn't use soap/shampoo in the first month.  Bathtime is now part of our bedtime routine so he gets a bath nightly but I only use soap (CA Baby) once or twice/week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"