Cloth Diapering

Newbie with a SoftBums question

Hi, I'm new on the board!  It's our first baby, and we're definitely going to CD, and we've been researching different brands.  I really like the SoftBums Echo, since the insert snaps in instead of having a pocket, and you can re-use the cover.  But I have a couple questions:

-How well do they fit, especially a newborn?  I know it says 6 lbs and up, but wondering if that was realistic.

-Has anyone encountered any problems with them (absorbency, quality, fit, etc)?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newbie with a SoftBums question

• I actually did find that I was able to reuse my softbums shells. The lining didn't get wet because of the fact that the pod, which is so long, was folded over--the pee didn't soak through both layers. When babies are itty bitty you're supposed to use the mini pods, though, and those would definitely soak through to the shell. And when your kid is big enough that the pod doesn't fold over, pee would likely soak through again, then.

I found that getting a good fit was reasonably easy, with a lot of playing around with the toggle. But I hated the laundry tabs on softbums.  

• Exactly what PP said.  I never like those because you have to change it every time like a pocket diaper anyway so you don't save any money.  They say you can just let it air dry, but it's still pee.  I didn't like the idea of sticking it back on him.

They did fit my son well though because of the toggle adjustment in the legs.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We have been using Softbums for about 4 months now.  They work well, but I definitely don't love them.  I was already considering something new when I started noticing bruises on my 2 year old's tail bone.  I took him to the doctor who said she thought they were from the Softbums.  I quit using them immediately and sure enough, the bruises went away.  I contacted Softbums and apparently they have never heard of this happening to anyone else. 

Married to J since 5/05, Mommy to T (10/08), L (08/10) and C (02/13) who was born at home.

• imagelrachelle80:

They do get pretty tiny so I can imagine them fitting a NB pretty well. Since they do the toggle adjustments it's a bit different than most OS diapers.

FWIW, the claim of reusing the covers is dubious. Any diaper that has a soft lining (Softbums, AMP, etc) is going to need to be changed nearly every time. The wetness usually goes through the soaker right down into the lining, and you won't want to reuse it - not to mention the poop. The Softbums inserts are more contoured so the poop won't be as much as an issue getting on the lining as it is with some other brands, but it will still happen. And with the lining, you can't just wipe it down and use it again.  There will probably be times when you will be able to reuse them, yes, but don't count on it. :)

A system like Flip or GroVia has true wipe-down covers and they are

much more reusable. 

This is not always true. I am often able to reuse the shell on softbums when DS pees. They inserts are folded over and very absorbant. Often no pee gets on the shell at all.

Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • BTW softbums are my favorite diapers and I have a pretty diverse stash. They fit the best due to the adjustable leg elastics and are pretty trim. I prefer velcro and it has stood up better than any other aplix diaper I have. I have never tried them on a nb though.
    Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have one and don't like it at all.  The pod, in theory, is great since it's more contoured, but it doesn't fit down into the shell very well (IMO) and DD has leaked every time she's been in it.  At two months old, she's soaking through both layers to the shell, too.
  • I've been wanting to try SoftBums also but haven't yet. I just got a Flip daypack in the mail today and can't wait to try it out! Similar concept to the SoftBums as a hybrid/all-in-2.

Try a variety of diapers before investing in one brand. Before baby, I thought I would do fine with prefolds & covers but have found that I prefer the absorbancy of microfiber.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • softbums are decent diapers, but they are not my favorite. I like that you can size them indefinitely, but sometimes the quality controll is lacking. I have some that are great and others that are ehh- But I think it really depends on each individual. You can re-use the cover, but if you BF then the poop can get everywhere and it is not wipeable at all. 

I would buy 2-3 covers and a few different inserts to see- I actually like to have a variety in my stash instead of a stash of one type/brand- 

• Thanks for all the advice! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"