Working Moms

Need tips for getting baby to sleep at day care

I have an 8month old, who is struggling to sleep at day care. She has been there since she was 3 months old, so it;s not a new situation to her. I'm pretty sure I can guess the probelm, they have clear plexiglass cribs, where she wants to look out, they do not have a seperate room so she is up watching everyone. She is in a room where the babies are 5 months till 18 months, so some of the babies have a structured once a day nap (lights off), and other babies take two naps a day(light on).

It really sucks because when I come home, I have a tired, grouchy baby, who has only slept maybe one hour total, and need an evening nap, which takes out so much of out quality time. Its making me so sad because it;s not the kind of mother I want to be.

I am making a list of stratagies that teachers could do to encourage more sleeping for her. Any ideas?

Re: Need tips for getting baby to sleep at day care

• No tips, just wanted to say I feel your pain.  Keira NEVER naps at daycare!
  • I'm still working on getting my son to take better naps but one thing I've done is to send him to day care with a little lovey blanket that is a duplicate of the one he sleeps with at home. 

It smells like our house and for him it has turned into a sign that it's time to go to sleep. He's never been a great napper but I know that the blankey makes him more comfortable and helps him get to sleep.  Some days he naps great at daycare but other times of course he still gets distracted when there is a lot of activity that he does not want to miss!

If you have anything at home that your child uses to get to sleep perhaps try sending it in to daycare.  

Good Luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Is your home silent when she's asleep?  If so, that may be part of the problem. 

There is no other room to take her to for naps?  Are you attached to this daycare?  If not, maybe try to find another place. 

Sorry. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have any tips but wanted to let you know that we experience the same thing.  DD takes great naps at home but not at DC.  Unfortunately, I think it just comes with the territory.  And, I've talked to my DC and it sounds like my DD just gets distracted because she, like your DD, can see the other kids, and she wants to play instead of sleep.  Sad  I've just come to accept the fact that she's just not going to get good naps at DC.
  • This is a tough one, because your DCP has licensing regulations that require them to have the clear dividers between cribs. The good news is that your DCP is following the safety procedures, the bad news is that older babies tend to get very interested in what is happening on the other side of that clear crib! Your DCP should definitely work with you to develop strategies to help her sleep. The first thing you want to do is ask them to watch her for cues that she's sleepy. Give them a written copy of her normal routine at home, so they know about what time she typically falls asleep. Then, when they see these signs (does she rub her eyes, take a bottle, etc.), they should try taking her to a quiet(er) corner of the room and maybe rocking her to sleep. The suggestion about bringing a small blanket from home is good, but may not be allowed per regulations. Also, ask them if they can move her crib so that she isn't front and center in that part of the room. While you want to make sure they can always see her, maybe if she has less to look at she will drift off.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

• DS was the same way. He did so much better when he moved to the infant two room (older crawling babies) and toddler rooms when they had scheduled nap times when it was lights out. Prior to that he would take very short naps. At home he was a great napper and we weren't quiet around the house either. He is just really nosey and wants to know what is going on. Sorry I feel your pain about having and cranky tired baby. At that time DS would go to bed so early and I didn't get to see him that much. It gets better as time goes on.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"